PDA

View Full Version : Wet seat...

MattE
Tuesday 8th November 2005, 22:44
And no, I haven't p1ssed myself!

The problem is that as my driver's side front window goes up it gets about 3/4 of the way and then the front tips forward slighlty. This means that when it is shut there is a gap at the top by the headrest. The little bit of water that can get in isn't really a problem, it's the wind noise that is driving me mad! :mad:

Wondering if anybody else has had this problem, and if so, what has to be done to fix it and how easy it is to do...?

Any ideas folks?

Thanks in advance...

Andrew
Tuesday 8th November 2005, 22:48
Assuming the rubber is in place correctly I think you're going to need to take the door panel off and have a look at whats going on with the window regulator. Could be loose and is moving as the cable is driven or something.... probably just something worked loose.

The Flying Banana
Tuesday 8th November 2005, 22:48
And no, I haven't p1ssed myself!

The problem is that as my driver's side front window goes up it gets about 3/4 of the way and then the front tips forward slighlty. This means that when it is shut there is a gap at the top by the headrest. The little bit of water that can get in isn't really a problem, it's the wind noise that is driving me mad! :mad:

Wondering if anybody else has had this problem, and if so, what has to be done to fix it and how easy it is to do...?

Any ideas folks?

Thanks in advance...

Hold the window with both hands and get someone to put it up whilst you guide it up in place..then take door panel off an dcheck teh window channels..could be the rubber guide has come adrift or the channel itself has come loose

MattE
Tuesday 8th November 2005, 22:51
Thanks for the extremely speedy replies chaps. Looks like the door panel is gonna have to come off. Is that fairly straightforward or am I going to end up using a felling axe...?

Andrew
Tuesday 8th November 2005, 22:53
Thanks for the extremely speedy replies chaps. Looks like the door panel is gonna have to come off. Is that fairly straightforward or am I going to end up using a felling axe...?

I've not done it on a volvo, usually it's just a couple of screws or it has been on other cars. Sure someone will answer you shortly.

The Flying Banana
Tuesday 8th November 2005, 23:01
I've not done it on a volvo, usually it's just a couple of screws or it has been on other cars. Sure someone will answer you shortly.

If its an 850, prise the speaker cover off at one of the corners..comes off pretty easy..lets you into the speaker, pull up the door handle, comes right up. all around the edge of the door panel is screws , take them out..TORX heads on some models, once loose pull away slightly at bottom and push whole panel up the way...this will let you see insid edoor panel and all its gubbins!!!!

Andrew
Tuesday 8th November 2005, 23:10
15 minutes from original post to answer to second question - pretty impressive for any forum and why it's one of the best on the net.

O V L O V!

:remybussi

MattE
Tuesday 8th November 2005, 23:12
15 minutes from original post to answer to second question - pretty impressive for any forum and why it's one of the best on the net.

O V L O V!

:remybussi

I'm well impressed... Top forum indeed.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 8th November 2005, 23:31
One of the issues I had with the 855 was the bottom trailing edge channel for the glass, inside the door came away (common problem).
In my case it stopped the window going all the way down. I removed it and window worked fine, but did rattle in the door when the window was down and I shut the door. I eventually replaced it - the flange that holds the channel in place becomes fatigued - it is held in place by a single screw and its relationship to the top part of the channel

I also seem to remember that there was a screw behind a finisher on the handle. I could be confusing it with the C70 which is held on with plastic rivets with central cores - that need pushing in before removing with a screwdriver.

Top tip for refitting - spray the guide for the top edge with WD40 - it will go back on much easier

I have taken the door cards off many times - so if you need a hand I am not too far away

MattE
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 18:59
I have taken the door cards off many times - so if you need a hand I am not too far away

Cheers WD, I may well have to take you up on your kind offer...

wacky racer
Saturday 13th May 2006, 19:51
After buying mattE's car off him (in January) and ignoring the problem with the window (except for spraying the window rubber with WD40) things came to a head this morning.
When parking the car outside work i noticed a knock from inside the door when i shut it.
Had an idea what could have gone wrong and was right when i stripped it down this afternoon.
Bottom of window channel had snapped off where the screw holds it to the door, so was knocking when you shut it.
Replaced with a new channel and Hey presto! all working fine(and no more wet bum Matt!)
So dont put off those little jobs, they could turn into something a bit bigger.

T5ER
Saturday 13th May 2006, 20:04
most use plastic guides in the runners could be yours has just worn out but as said by others door panel off to look whats happening

wacky racer
Sunday 14th May 2006, 12:42
most use plastic guides in the runners could be yours has just worn out but as said by others door panel off to look whats happening

Fixed with new channel.