PDA

View Full Version : S60 Exhaust Options

TangoDeltaSierra3
Tuesday 8th November 2005, 22:23
I know exhausts gets brought up pretty regular on here but bare with me!

If i was to have a custom made stainless jobby made up what kind of spec would be the ideal ? Ie - 3inch downpipe? 2.5in? Any particular choice of Cat ? I dont wanna have any sensor trouble etc, i want a reliable car basically with an exhaust custom made for me. Also i'm thinking 3in straight through pipe with one silencer only. Anyone have any comments, i don't want recommendations of Ferrita, Magnex etc...i have a firm in mind, just wanna know what spec to build too. Thanks.

fraz13
Tuesday 8th November 2005, 22:41
Dunno if ye remember ma exhaust on ma green car but cat back 3" 1 silencer and it was brain damage on the motorway but a loved it and hated it at the same time, 1am sitting outside a mates droppin them off in a wee quiet street it was too loud (vibration shook things in houses) but great for attention seeking and listning to the 5cyl

Av just ordered ma exhaust for the R and its going to be so much quieter

TangoDeltaSierra3
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 23:26
Mmmm, soon as somebody poses a tricky question it all goes quiet!

aeroresh
Thursday 10th November 2005, 07:17
Here you go then but Im certainly no expert! :-

3" downpipe, probably goes without saying.

As for the cat back, depends how loud you want it. From recollection the standard has 3 silencers? You could probably get away with removing one of these without too much extra noise but taking two may make it too loud and boomy for everyday use. Unfortunately, no experience with cats other than of the hairy variety :B_blite:

As for diameter, 2.5" is adequate on the standard T5 but Id say that a 3" will be better on your RICAd car. Note that running a bigger diameter wont automatically give you more power or torque, in fact if you reduce the back pressure too much by using a large bore system, you may find torque figures drop off especially at the bottom end and turbo lag increases.

I know you said not to recommend manufacturers but I would say stay clear of Powerflow!...they use the flimsiest, thinnest possible cheap stainless steel from South Africa they can get hold of and unless you know them personally, its very much pot luck whether you'd get a good fitter :pants:

Hope this helps :)

TangoDeltaSierra3
Thursday 10th November 2005, 17:17
I shan't be going anywhere near powerflow, i want a one off to me lol....So i'm telling no one till i know it can be built.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Thursday 10th November 2005, 23:00
Has anyone come across oval exhaust piping, i saw some on a USA site and will help in giving that xtra bit of clearance, that is one of the stumbling blocks i've hit, potential clearance problems, flat floor, and twin fuel tanks, stress!!!

Al115
Thursday 10th November 2005, 23:08
I had heard that the optimum was either 2.5" or 3" from the cat back - small enough to keep the gases hot and energetic, yet wide enough to shift the volume through.

I'm running 3" downpipe / race cat and 2.5" catback system with fairly small silencers which is certainly not too loud. Sounds good when you boot it though.

spesh
Thursday 10th November 2005, 23:15
3ich all the way back does seem a bit excesive, 800bhp skylines have systems like that, 2.5 inch would be fine off a 3inch down pipe, or like me even 2.75inch.

the underlord
Friday 11th November 2005, 19:44
Craig, 2.5" is going to be juust fine for ya, Be sure it's mandrel bent, and IDK if you guys get much snow, and the transportation department uses salt on the roads, but if they don't, I bet aluminized steel would work just fine for you, rather than the spendy stainless.