PDA

View Full Version : rear main seal

wellsy
Tuesday 1st February 2005, 16:37
hi i seem to have oil coming from this hole between the engine and box
is this almost for certain the rear main seal gone?

if so i shall have to find a secluded spot and have a small swedish bonfire :mad:

Bracer
Tuesday 1st February 2005, 17:24
Could well be the rear main seal my friend.

But before you go and get the box ripped out, its a idea just to have a quick look up top.
The oil filler cap gaskets are known for leaking and when the spark plug tray gets full up of oil it starts to drain out the right hand side of the cam tray where the HT leads lay and it runs down the side of the block right to the bottom where yours is showing the leak. Also out the back right hand side (there is a little drain gully) which allows the oil to get onto the manifold and can make it look like the oil return seal is leaking.

Just something for you to check maybe :wink:

Steve

wellsy
Tuesday 1st February 2005, 17:32
thanks for the reply the filler is leaking im hopefully not working this weekend so will change that and give the whole a good clean and try to trace for sure where its coming from.
had a quote from a couple of places for the rear seal formula cars in wellington say about £300 and a local independant volvo chap about £250-£300.does anyone know of any other independants in the north devon south west area.
thanks again for all the help cheers wellsy :)