PDA

View Full Version : whats the lowest springs you can get for an 850 T5?

Bison
Tuesday 8th November 2005, 11:43
I already have 35mm lowering springs but the car just doesn;t sit low enough for my liking, i would like a 50-60mm drop and I know this is possible through the Coilover kits, but are there any springs out there that will get it lower?

Bison

c70mel
Tuesday 8th November 2005, 20:41
I'm also looking for exactly the same thing for my C70. Coil overs do seem to be the only easy option to get your car very low but cost £££££££ and seem rare.

Heard about people cutting springs but im not keen on that at all! I was goin to try and just find some -40mm springs but I still think this will not be low enough for my liking too.

Someone must have an answer! :insane:

fraz13
Tuesday 8th November 2005, 20:49
40mm was the lowest a could find when a was lookin

Coilovers are the only other route as if you go lower that 40mm you will need to change shocks anyway

elliot
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 10:02
I have the FK automoitive 60mm springs,old man has the APEX spring both about the same height,i have not seen any on springs that are lower!Both handle and look better than the eibachs, had them on before.

Bison
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 11:06
I will look into the 60mm springs from FK, do you have any pics of the car with them on? I have found the 40mm Springs, Kalmar Union sell them, they are a Swedish make.

Bison

M44K TS
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 15:12
Airbags :pimp2:

c70mel
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 19:39
Cool, these are the lowest i have found so far:
http://www.potn.com/-_c1473_3207_6511_7223_p1305547.htm

They do a few -60mm in the Volvo section for other models.

Airbags for the ultimate bling bling.. hehe.

Bison
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 20:20
I think I will go for the FK 60mm springs. I am worried that this will cause probs to the drive shaft or the standard shox? I am working on a budget will these cause probs or not/

Bison

elliot
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 20:30
I have had mine in for a year and no drive shaft problems people run KW without problems which i belive on the lowest setting drop 65-70mm.The std shock will still be fine running that low it wont bottom out!I ran my std shock for 4 months without problems

Bison
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 23:38
I ran my std shock for 4 months without problems

What happened after the 4 months?

Bison

gdogg16
Thursday 10th November 2005, 04:25
elliot, I'm wondering if the FK springs truely lower 60mm? Looks more like ~40mm to me. Other than KW, are there any other coilovers out there that us yanks aren't aware of?

Bison
Thursday 10th November 2005, 10:24
I'm wondering if the FK springs truely lower 60mm?

I called the company selling these springs and they have informed me that in the ad where is says 60/40 this means it lowers the front 60mm and the rear 40mm, Does this make sense? Seems a bit strange to me not sure? Would this be ok for road use? How would it effect the handling? they sais they were made for racing but can be used for the road.

Bison

elliot
Thursday 10th November 2005, 11:56
elliot, I'm wondering if the FK springs truely lower 60mm? Looks more like ~40mm to me. Other than KW, are there any other coilovers out there that us yanks aren't aware of?

It lowered mine 60mm from original and 30mm off the eibachs i had before.Leda do coilovers for the 850 and are very good!

Bison-I upgraded my dampers.

gdogg16
Thursday 10th November 2005, 15:18
It lowered mine 60mm from original and 30mm off the eibachs i had before.Leda do coilovers for the 850 and are very good!

Bison-I upgraded my dampers.
Thats right, forgot about leda, thanks!

Bison
Thursday 10th November 2005, 15:49
Do you reckon I should upgrade the dampers as well then? shall I replace with OEM dampers or upgrades? If upgrades who does them and roughly how much are they?

Bison

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 10th November 2005, 15:59
I called the company selling these springs and they have informed me that in the ad where is says 60/40 this means it lowers the front 60mm and the rear 40mm, Does this make sense? Seems a bit strange to me not sure? Would this be ok for road use? How would it effect the handling? they sais they were made for racing but can be used for the road.

Bison
Just a thought With that much drop I wouldnt be surprised to see an adverse affect on the camber?? I dont actually know how you'd correct it. The lower wishbones are of fixed length so how you'd get the tyre to sit flat on the road is beyond me.

Elliot - wot do you think?

Al115
Thursday 10th November 2005, 16:05
Good point. There's a Volvo Camber Kit for that exact reason I think.

Bison
Thursday 10th November 2005, 16:05
Interesting Point Dave, Don Norchi of Kalmar Union emailed me trying to sell me one of his kits, this is what he had to say.

The rear is lowered by about 2.5” (not adjustable) and the front can accommodate a drop of up to 4”, front camber can be increased by up to 3.5 degrees, although a setting in excess of 1 degree can increase tyre wear.This kit radically changes the handling characteristics of the 850, S/V/C 70’s, although there is a small change in the ‘boulevard’ ride quality of a standard car. The adjustable dampers, front and rear are fully rebuildable.You have to be carefull with lowering the front ride height too much, either with my kit or some ‘cut down’ springs as you can cause problems with the drive shafts if they have too much droop from a roughly horizontal position.

So looks like the camber can be adjusted.
Bison

gdogg16
Thursday 10th November 2005, 17:55
Interesting Point Dave, Don Norchi of Kalmar Union emailed me trying to sell me one of his kits, this is what he had to say.

So looks like the camber can be adjusted.
Bison
lol, "cut down springs"

hamish
Thursday 10th November 2005, 18:16
Hi,

We have 'camber pins' or alignment kit for the P1 cars at £24.31. Using your old shock with 60mm springs will not be a problem other than it's an old worn shock ! If the drive shafts were a problem they would 'pop out' every time you went over a big bump !

Regards,
Hamish.
Chip Tuning Ltd (VT)
01527 577710.

Bison
Thursday 10th November 2005, 18:52
If the drive shafts were a problem they would 'pop out' every time you went over a big bump !

So are the drive shafts a problem or not? Sorry if you have already answered this but I need clarification if possible.

Thanks
Andrew

gdogg16
Friday 11th November 2005, 20:10
So are the drive shafts a problem or not? Sorry if you have already answered this but I need clarification if possible.

Thanks
Andrew
no.