PDA

View Full Version : Need advice, V70R manual gearbox

saffronR
Saturday 12th April 2014, 05:15
Hi fellow VPCUK members,

I've been absent for a while, probably over two years actually, due in part to selling my Saffy, but the good news is I may buy it back!

The trouble now, the guy I sold it to has had a problem with the manual gearbox, which I thought would be bomb proof, and it now requires a new one, ive had a quick look around the net, to find a replacement, but can't locate one, does anyone know if a normal T5 manual box would be compatible?

If I can locate a box, that's not too expensive, then I would definitely have my old R back, it was a top motor when I had it.

Cheers,

Scott.

merc85
Saturday 12th April 2014, 08:13
It will have a M59 gearbox, the m56 gearbox will fit but you may have to change the clutch release bearing and driveshaft, also the flywheel is solid on the early type unlike this one which will be DMF

stribo
Saturday 12th April 2014, 08:28
I could be wrong, but if it's AWD, I think the casing's different to accommodate the transfer box.

stribo
Saturday 12th April 2014, 08:31
It will have a M59 gearbox, the m56 gearbox will fit but you may have to change the clutch release bearing and driveshaft, also the flywheel is solid on the early type unlike this one which will be DMF

I thought all P1s had M56 'boxes, only difference being the pre ME7 had solid flywheels, and ME7s had DMFs.

munster732
Saturday 12th April 2014, 08:42
If you message Shem, he is selling anM59 gearbox from a S70R.
In fact I will text him and let him know you want one.
Wayne

merc85
Saturday 12th April 2014, 09:18
I thought all P1s had M56 'boxes, only difference being the pre ME7 had solid flywheels, and ME7s had DMFs.

No bud s70r/v70r ph1 had m59 box with diff and dmf

stribo
Saturday 12th April 2014, 10:38
No bud s70r/v70r ph1 had m59 box with diff and dmf

So did the early C70s have M59s as well, or have they all got M56?

T5frankie
Saturday 12th April 2014, 10:43

you should know that already mate by driving it

p fandango
Saturday 12th April 2014, 10:47
I could be wrong, but if it's AWD, I think the casing's different to accommodate the transfer box.
AWD is the M58. The M59 casing is also different to the M56

it'll be a M56

saffronR
Saturday 12th April 2014, 23:50
Thanks for the replies guys, fantastic help.

Its a front wheel drive, I'm currently at work (offshore West Africa) but this has been of huge assistance, i'll look around for these M56 type boxes, and keep you posted as to how I get on.

Ill also mail the lad who owns my old car, and find out if he can identify exactly the issue, and code of its current box.

Thanks again.

Scott.

saffronR
Sunday 13th April 2014, 05:06
If you message Shem, he is selling anM59 gearbox from a S70R.
In fact I will text him and let him know you want one.
Wayne

Thanks Wayne,

If i could have some details of the box he has on offer, (miles/Price/location) then I can work out quite easily if it's going to be cost effective to buy back my old R or not.

I would much prefer to buy from a forum member than some unknown knackers yard on fleabay!

Scott.

saffronR
Wednesday 10th June 2015, 23:02
Thread update!

After over a year of trying to buy my old car back, I final towed her home tonight! What a sorry state she looks! If only the lad would have let me have it last year!

Anyway back on track, I NEED A GEARBOX! M59 I understand, Front wheel drive manual 1998 R V70R, anyone able to help???

Cheers,

Scott.

Tomcat
Wednesday 10th June 2015, 23:25
You'll need the long drive shaft as well as the one for the M59 is different. What's the problem with your old box?

saffronR
Wednesday 10th June 2015, 23:33
It was damaged by what looks like a large bolder hitting it at speed, punching a hole into the casing, and the box dumping it fluids.

How do I find out what box it has? Is it likely to be the M59?

AcidicDavey
Wednesday 10th June 2015, 23:46
It will be a M59 unless it has been replaced previously.

smithy
Thursday 11th June 2015, 01:37
It was damaged by what looks like a large bolder hitting it at speed, punching a hole into the casing, and the box dumping it fluids.

How do I find out what box it has? Is it likely to be the M59?
Most m59 box end up with a hole in the side .

Tomcat
Thursday 11th June 2015, 10:10
Most m59 box end up with a hole in the side .

How's that?..

saffronR
Thursday 11th June 2015, 10:33
It will be a M59 unless it has been replaced previously.

Thanks, don't have one for sale do you ;)

Ettienne
Thursday 11th June 2015, 10:44
I don't find them any worse than m56s, but either will fail if mistreated and not serviced, pretty much the same with m66 awd although they are a bit stronger

Ettienne
Thursday 11th June 2015, 11:04
M59s are interchangable with flywheels you can use either solid or dual mass and either will work with internal or external slaves.

I.e internal slave dmf or smf
External slave dmf or smf

We use smf's from 850 with internal slaves on the m66!!!

saffronR
Wednesday 24th June 2015, 10:50
It appears that finding a manual gearbox for my '70R is like trying to find a vegetarian shark!
I'm off to sea for a month, if nothing turns up in the next four weeks looks like I may have to offer the old girl up as spares or repairs :sick:

If anyone knows, or hears of a suitable box for sale, please let me know, I'm very keen to save this car from an undignified end.

Cheers,

Scott.

Ettienne
Wednesday 24th June 2015, 16:03
Put a m56 in or better still a m66, at least then you'll be able to use it

saffronR
Wednesday 24th June 2015, 21:28
Ettienne, thanks for your reply, it appears you know your stuff.

The two boxes you mention are both readily available, if you don't mind, and if you can find the time, would you be able to let me know what additional parts I would need to buy to use either box, I guess the m66 is better as it's from a newer model?

Much appreciate the feedback I've already received from all the members who posted:B_thumb:

Ettienne
Wednesday 24th June 2015, 22:14
M56 is a straight fit, just need a new / secondhand long shaft and is the easier of the options

saffronR
Wednesday 24th June 2015, 22:20
Thanks mate.

saffronR
Sunday 22nd November 2015, 22:32
Thread resurrection!

With the help of a member on here, I was directed to a lad on T5D5 who was planning on a gripper conversion to his R, months of chat, a few calls, and the transfer of funds now put me in possession of very usable M59 manual box.

So the plan now, I need to buy a battery, complete a quick oil change, and minor service, I'll entrust the box change to a local garage who looks after my other 'performance' car, then hopefully have it MOT'd and back on the road by the end of the year.

It has been a very slow process getting this far, but I just knew the car was too good to give up on, I'm not out of the woods yet, but I recon it's pretty much plain sailing from here on in!

Thanks again to all who have helped me out along the way,( particularly red brick) I honestly could not have got this far without the power of this Forum, and it's excellent members, who are willing to offer advice, knowledge, and information, when needed the most.

Respect!

Scott.