PDA

View Full Version : how much :(

Clippy
Friday 11th April 2014, 16:57
Hi

I own a C30, as I left work on Monday the car lost complete power, I managed to drive home with the assistance of the AA man who concluded that the car had an electonic faliure and he would be unable to find it due to the compexity, he also stated that it may not happen again yet could happen the next day.
Next day the car was fine, but yesterday I had an identical repeat, the AA man arrived again and got me home, this time he investigated a little further and found water droplets in the Central Electrical Module along with some scorching marks.
After cleaning and spraying the unit he said it would be improved but I should look into replacing it.
I ordered the part.
I got in the car today and suprise suprise.
This time I got the car straight to the garage, well I have just recieved a phone call telling me the car has been fixed total cost £920.40p,
Has anyone else had this fault / problem, I would also welcome any thoughts / comments

Regards

Clippy

stephenevans99
Friday 11th April 2014, 17:23
Just out of interest.... Where is the CEM located on a C30?

Clippy
Friday 11th April 2014, 18:51
Passenger foot well, just under the glove box.

Santa
Friday 11th April 2014, 19:20
I've not had a CEM unit replaced but replacement of Volvo control units is unfortunately expensive :(

stephenevans99
Friday 11th April 2014, 19:29
Passenger foot well, just under the glove box.

It just made me curious as to where the water was coming from....could possibly a blocked drain on the scuttle panel, blocked/sodden pollen filter, heater matrix or even the AC drain from the evaporator. Would hate to think you replaced the unit for the same to happen again.

Jamest5r
Friday 11th April 2014, 19:50
I bought my daily 850 fully modded for less than that ecu a year ago and all I've done is put petrol in it lol, can't stand modern electrics even me7 does my head in :)

AAnickmac
Friday 11th April 2014, 19:56
this is a common problem on v50, s40 and c30. also ford focus. i went out to a v50 this morning with same fault. water gets into the fuse box and causes lots of issues. most of time you can remove and clean them, but it wont work properly till you have cleared the ecu of all the old codes. it might come up with abs systems fault, immobilser fault, airbag fault. when read it will say lost comunication with body control module. should clear once all connections are made good. and it should start. i have been out to lots and only not got one started.

Clippy
Friday 11th April 2014, 20:49
I wasnt really that bothered about the price, it was the timing of the fault.....

Im in the Forces and im driving to Europe on Monday to start a new 3 year assignment, so needed to be confident the car would make the trip.

M-R-P
Friday 11th April 2014, 21:07
Chavboy's old focus did the same thing, a swift kick to the fusebox sorted it.

I believe Volvo came up with a fix for this, I remember reading something about it on VOC.

abdul
Friday 11th April 2014, 21:37
I bought my daily 850 fully modded for less than that ecu a year ago and all I've done is put petrol in it lol, can't stand modern electrics even me7 does my head in :)

Totally agree

ks_p
Friday 11th April 2014, 21:47
Absolutely dont understand anything in it!!! but i can just suport u, guys! ((:(:cry::cry: