PDA

View Full Version : The Hotseat!!!

T5pike
Monday 7th November 2005, 21:30
Hi guys anyone heard of your heated seat burning a hole in your leg and seat?!!!

Redbrick
Monday 7th November 2005, 21:48
Ohh yes we have.

Guess you didn't hear about the Volvo recall to solve the problem before it roasts your nuts :(

splatt
Monday 7th November 2005, 21:59
:worthless

Andrew
Monday 7th November 2005, 22:06
Ohh yes we have.

Guess you didn't hear about the Volvo recall to solve the problem before it roasts your nuts :(

Yeah what he said!!!

HuskMan
Monday 7th November 2005, 22:22
I have two roast chestnuts (more ginger nuts really) as evidence of ignoring the seat recall...

Ooooh, hot cross buns anyone?

gezR
Monday 7th November 2005, 22:50
goodness, gracious great balls of fire :band:

T5pike
Thursday 10th November 2005, 20:19
Ok then i no im stupid but have only had car for a fiew weeks now so i gess its to late to bring mine in and have it done for free then?!!!

Mrsmopp
Thursday 10th November 2005, 20:19
Nope, the recall is ongoing, you can take it to a dealer anytime.

x

T5pike
Thursday 10th November 2005, 20:47
Thanx for your reply Mrsmopp..When the seat burned my leg it also burned a hole in the seat do you no if this will also be rapaired as part of the recall?

Mrsmopp
Thursday 10th November 2005, 20:51
I doubt it tbh, Volvo are reknowned for their tightness! However, as its a recall you may be able to push them. its got to be worth a try.

As a side note give Mark @ Salvo a call to see if he can supply you with a replacement seat. They are an excellent salvage company that offer us a 10% discount too ;)

x

Redbrick
Thursday 10th November 2005, 20:56
You can always try!!

It dosen't cover all 850's only a certain number of chassis numbers.

My seats used to get toasty warm, once I'd had mine done under the recall they might as well have disconected them as they barely get warm at all.

This problem has taken a fair few 850's out of action. I think, in a way, your lucky to get away with a hole in the seat and a burnt leg.

I think Volvo should be following this with more rigor, the DVLA knows who own the cars. Pretty poor really from a company with safety as a cornerstone of its business.

Good luck!

T5pike
Thursday 10th November 2005, 20:56
Thank you very much x x

LeeT5
Thursday 10th November 2005, 22:41
My seats used to get toasty warm, once I'd had mine done under the recall they might as well have disconected them as they barely get warm at all.

Really??? I had the recall done last year and like you the seats used to get ££££ing hot (almost uncomfortable), but after they had replaced the seat wiring lumes and relays my seats still get quite warm but only noticeable on cold days.

Am i right in saying that even if you turn on the heated seats, if the ambient temperature is above a certain point the seats automatically do not switch on? Thought that was the case anyway.

As said...Recall is on going and totally free. If your seats have been damaged then i see no reason why Volvo should not replace them owing to the fact that the recall was to prevent damage in the first place. I would insist they repair or replace the burnt seats!! Good luck.
:firedevil

Martinr
Friday 11th November 2005, 09:49
"after they had replaced the seat wiring lumes and relays my seats still get quite warm but only noticeable on cold days."

When I got my car the drivers seat heater didn't work at all. Got it fixed under the recall and now mine is the same as LeeT5 in that they are only noticeable when the temperature drops. I think there is some element of ambient temperature control but don't know how it is achieved.

On another note, when I had my car the plastic guard under the engine, (the one that covers the bottom of the rad etc.) was missing. I sourced another from Salvo and refitted it.

I now notice that in traffic the ambient temperature rises rapidly, I assume because the sensor is picking up on the heat generated by the engine. Car doesn't overheat though in traffic on the hottest day in summer my guage read an outside temperature of 109 deg Fahrenheit!!! Anyone else get this?

Concerned this might effect the aircon and the heated seats if they use the ambient sensor. My car has ECC.