PDA

View Full Version : my daily/project s40 t4 clean slate

s40t
Sunday 6th April 2014, 21:36
so as ive already introduced myself, i thought maybe i should start a build thread. ill will update it as much as possible and be open to as much advice and opinions available.
its a 1998 model before i start :)
the first little touch ive done so far the to s40 ( for a whole £10! ) is a genuine hks green air filter. are these any good for these engines? it seems to pull great if not a slighty bit more with it, but obviously not fully benefited untill other work and remap.

windows will be tinted next week so shall post a picture when the cars has been treated to a "bath" :)

a few questions;

is a back box delete worth it? i know people say different.
are they too stiff on coil overs? just budgets off ebay...
and what sort of fuel consumption would i get from a sport cat 200 cell ( also ebay )

on a tight budget right now, so its cheap only parts untill the pennies come, but any gains better than none. i plans to remap after some subtle modifications as it makes sense to do them instead of remap, do them just to have to remap again. thanks guys :)

JamesT5
Sunday 6th April 2014, 22:06
Good luck with the car mate and keep us updated on stuff you do to it.

My only concern is cheap parts don't seem to last and it can be false economy. I had some 'cheap' ball joints on my T5 back in December 2012, when MRP and I checked them about 3 weeks ago they were totally knackered. OE or Uprated parts are recommended, I know they cost more initially but they will last longer.

s40t
Friday 11th April 2014, 21:47
Little update on the vulva magnet :eclipsee_
I found out I'm missing my v band.. And as worryingly gay as it sounds, it's one band every turbo needs. For those who don't know, it holds the exhaust turbine to the main housing on the turbo :p anyway
Got new maf, had a resistor in -.- so getting a euro car parts one which cost £111 next day delivery, not bad. And also got the new spoiler mocked and fitted :D 24525

I honk it flows really well with some of the sharp lines on the car and matches the boot shut pretty damn well to.

It's a toyota celica spoiler which I'm sure (fingers crossed) is a one off done fitment, uniqueness at its best :D very happy with will look better when the cars lowered and facelift front. Windows are done except the back but all in good time, more to come!

merc85
Friday 11th April 2014, 21:53
Welcome to the forum mate, Spolier will look good once painted, But id certainly concetrate getting that V band fitted on the turbo, You deffo dont want that to seperate, could get messy lol.

s40t
Friday 11th April 2014, 22:22
Yeah I know mate know anywhere/anyone with one? And thanks!

s40t
Monday 14th April 2014, 02:18
Little detail work, got rid of the old man wood effect lol, just satin black. 24552

JUDGENINJA
Monday 14th April 2014, 02:49
Interesting to see another interior. That will be the fourth different variant I've seen. I have the option of black or silver pieces.

s40t
Monday 14th April 2014, 19:24
Interesting to see another interior. That will be the fourth different variant I've seen. I have the option of black or silver pieces.

It looks abit naff in picture but it's not bad, I was thinking silver, but black was available lol

s40t
Friday 25th April 2014, 21:03
* interior update *
As the pattern has followed I'm getting the cheaper stuff done first. Today ie progressed pretty well! I got a reverse sensor kit which works well, and installed led fog light bulbs as I'm going to wire into ignition and use as drls with will still run to the fog if I want them off in the future. Also done a bulb chane on the dash... And I'm very impressed with it! Looks a lot more modern! :D

Also got boost gauge in

And this is now the view I get..

smithy
Friday 25th April 2014, 21:36
Nice pics

V70 Graham
Friday 25th April 2014, 21:46
Good job you've done there.

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 26th April 2014, 01:45
Been busy I see..

Loadsamiles
Saturday 26th April 2014, 21:23
are they too stiff on coil overs? just budgets off ebay...

Nice and flat through corners.

Not very nice for a trip to the beach with the mates.

Not brilliant on a re-mapped car for getting the power down.

I'd like to change mine for Plod spec.

s40t
Sunday 27th April 2014, 19:02
Nice and flat through corners.

Not very nice for a trip to the beach with the mates.

Not brilliant on a re-mapped car for getting the power down.

I'd like to change mine for Plod spec.

thanks for that info, ill probably go ahead as i want her low, how low does it sit?

Loadsamiles
Tuesday 29th April 2014, 11:20
It sits at whatever height you set it at.

The e-bay curly-wurly coil overs are height adjustable.

Just avoid bumps in the road or you'll have a big dentist bill.

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 29th April 2014, 12:10
It sits at whatever height you set it at.

The e-bay curly-wurly coil overs are height adjustable.

Just avoid bumps in the road or you'll have a big dentist bill.

LOL @ Dentist bill ;)

If you get FK's or any of the budget coilovers the front springs are far too soft and almost bottom out when the car is sitting still on the drive! You need to replace the springs for stiffer ones to stop them bottoming out. I have just removed my coilovers as the droplink bracket snapped off and the horrendous noises. You get what you pay for. I am throwing them in the bin later as I've fitted H&R springs, expensive but top quality. It looked better on the coilovers as it was nice and low but I got sick of the knocking noises, clunks and bangs. The ride is 100x better on the H&R's although the back end is a little high but I can live with that.

I have removed and refitted the FK's 4 times in total and also let a garage look at them. They were installed correctly but the noises wouldn't go away. They also destroyed genuine Volvo new top mounts in 4000miles which cost me a small fortune.

If I add the price of new top mounts, garage time, new coilover springs and my own time, I probably could have had a set of quality £600 coilovers.

I have a set of coilover springs for sale suitable to mod the FK's to stop them bottoming if you do decide on budget coilovers.

Nealevo
Tuesday 29th April 2014, 12:40
Welcome along, enjoy the banter and knowledge, i personally wouldn't use the cheap pro sport coilovers, i had them fitted and they lasted approx 50 miles as the ride was horrendous, it was bordering on comical, if you have a tight budget and your shocks are of a decent state, then just buy some lowering springs, but buy a quality set as again you get what you pay for.

Loadsamiles
Tuesday 29th April 2014, 23:26
LOL @ Dentist bill ;)

If you get FK's or any of the budget coilovers the front springs are far too soft and almost bottom out when the car is sitting still on the drive! You need to replace the springs for stiffer ones to stop them bottoming out. I have just removed my coilovers as the droplink bracket snapped off and the horrendous noises. You get what you pay for. I am throwing them in the bin later as I've fitted H&R springs, expensive but top quality. It looked better on the coilovers as it was nice and low but I got sick of the knocking noises, clunks and bangs. The ride is 100x better on the H&R's although the back end is a little high but I can live with that.

I have removed and refitted the FK's 4 times in total and also let a garage look at them. They were installed correctly but the noises wouldn't go away. They also destroyed genuine Volvo new top mounts in 4000miles which cost me a small fortune.

If I add the price of new top mounts, garage time, new coilover springs and my own time, I probably could have had a set of quality £600 coilovers.

I have a set of coilover springs for sale suitable to mod the FK's to stop them bottoming if you do decide on budget coilovers.

Looks like you've been down the road that I'm down. Sounds very very familiar.

I can put up with it for now, as the T4 is a second car, just for pottering about, but if there is one thing to do to it getting rid of the fleabay coilovers is high on the list.

It's useless in the rain, it has a "Doc" map on it and setting off I just end up with too much tramping with the soft springs and end up spinning the wheels going nowhere (Tyres Toyo Proxes)

I got the car for a good price from a trusted source and had even used it for 4 weeks before I bought it, so I knew what I was letting myself in for. I love the way it goes with the re-map in the dry, it's great, but the shocks are rather unpleasant. The bottoming seems to be often, but driver's front side only, probably because it's heavier (engine and driver on that side)

If I replace the suspension I think Nivomat rear and diesel front end should give a nice firm ride whilst being actually usable. (Sod the look, it's how it handles that counts)

Loadsamiles
Tuesday 29th April 2014, 23:32
Welcome along, enjoy the banter and knowledge, i personally wouldn't use the cheap pro sport coilovers, i had them fitted and they lasted approx 50 miles as the ride was horrendous, it was bordering on comical, if you have a tight budget and your shocks are of a decent state, then just buy some lowering springs, but buy a quality set as again you get what you pay for.

I agree totally with what you say, definitely borderline hilarious at some points, although it does corner flat.

This car came with them on. It has a bit of a "history" and was even stripped of previous performance bits as a donor car by someone tuning another T4 (which was subsequently broken) at one point, then re-built by a reliable person and used as a "loan car" I believe the whole coil-over set-up cost less than £150, so no surprises there.

mitchyboy01
Wednesday 30th April 2014, 01:33
Looks like you've been down the road that I'm down. Sounds very very familiar.

I can put up with it for now, as the T4 is a second car, just for pottering about, but if there is one thing to do to it getting rid of the fleabay coilovers is high on the list.

It's useless in the rain, it has a "Doc" map on it and setting off I just end up with too much tramping with the soft springs and end up spinning the wheels going nowhere (Tyres Toyo Proxes)

I got the car for a good price from a trusted source and had even used it for 4 weeks before I bought it, so I knew what I was letting myself in for. I love the way it goes with the re-map in the dry, it's great, but the shocks are rather unpleasant. The bottoming seems to be often, but driver's front side only, probably because it's heavier (engine and driver on that side)

If I replace the suspension I think Nivomat rear and diesel front end should give a nice firm ride whilst being actually usable. (Sod the look, it's how it handles that counts)

Sounds very familier! I agree, I was chasing the looks of a slammed car but it seriously isn't worth it.

I probably would have put up with the coilovers for another year or so if the droplink mount didn't snap off lol. I laugh, but if I'm honest it could have been very dangerous....and to think I ferry my little boy around in it makes me feel a guilty for being a cheapskate and buying them. I feel loads more confident now knowing I have top quality H&R springs on genuine Volvo parts.

I have a set of quality coilover springs for the front if you want a temporary fix for the bottoming out of the awful FK's.

The 'Doc' map is fantastic mate. Added 79lb/ft to my car and 37bhp. Stock everything including exhaust and air filter.

I now have renewed enthusiasm for my T4 as the FK's are in the bin.

claymore
Wednesday 30th April 2014, 08:25
Interesting, I have had no problems with my FK's, but I don't run the car with stupid amount of lows "just for looks". but perhaps the 850 ones are better than the S40 ones.

mitchyboy01
Wednesday 30th April 2014, 11:33
Hi Claymore!

Yeah mine were pretty low. Mind you they should be designed to withstand going nice and low otherwise what's the point when you can just buy lowering springs? Mine and others (volvo and non Volvo) made knocking noises from the rear no matter what the ride height was. I had a set on my old S40 and they were the same. I only hear of people complaining about them on the S/V40's. Never read any horror stories on the 850's though tbh.

s40t
Friday 2nd May 2014, 17:44
The 'Doc' map is fantastic mate. Added 79lb/ft to my car and 37bhp. Stock everything including exhaust and air filter.

i havnt heard of the 'doc' map, any more info on this as as soon as im back in work the map intercooler exhaust and heat shielding will be done in forth comin couple months after? whats the price and do i need to send them the ecu?

ive grabbed the spray cans again :blahblah::yikes: ha ha! but im very happy with the results came out alot better than i thought!

excuse the filthy pig, but its been naff weather so i havnt bothered cleaning.. :nono:
looks much younger and cleaner in my view, done the grill black with emblem still silver, and done the headlight bezzels despite the duff headlight pattern plates.
just a couple other angles.

i also got a couple heated seats power switches, hoping the wiring is tucked in the seats, but no wires :(. there was a v40 with eleccy seats in scrappy so ill just pinch the heating pads if still there soon!

im wanting to do a mid silencer delete soon, and a back box delete. still just hoping that i get that wistle sound from the turbo like on diesels but still unsure. if a no no then i thought shotgun exhausts but there too jdm scene for the swedes i think, but it would be different? any views on this?

s40t
Friday 2nd May 2014, 17:46
also if any1 is so kind enough, would someone photoshop my car with black wheels and lowered?! :D

Loadsamiles
Monday 5th May 2014, 00:40
i havnt heard of the 'doc' map, any more info on this as as soon as im back in work the map intercooler exhaust and heat shielding will be done in forth comin couple months after? whats the price and do i need to send them the ecu?

I've no idea how to get the map. But I'm lead to believe that Don has been dealing with it (but I may be wrong) The map was done by Ashok (Pyaap) who as you have probably guessed is a doctor (real one).

I got the car with it on, so that's why I don't know how to get it.

This T4 has 9 lives. It was originally Timway's car which blew the engine twice in the process of being modded then it was bought to be used as a donor car for the performance bits off it where it was stripped. It was then returned to stock (except for the suspension) and had the Ashok map put on it in place of the custom MTE map it previously had with the hybrid turbo. For a while it was a loan car for a well known mechanic, where I bought it because I needed a reserve car.

I really like the re-map, it totally suits the car, it pulls like a train up the revs and is a real hoot to drive.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/j0u1es/041copy.jpg

JUDGENINJA
Monday 5th May 2014, 00:49
also if any1 is so kind enough, would someone photoshop my car with black wheels and lowered?! :D

If you can take. Decent side profile I can knock something up when I am back in the UK

s40t
Saturday 17th May 2014, 17:21
so went a took the gearbox off the car yesterday, to reveal this...
one good side

and then

:wtf::confused: it fell out like this when removing the clutch assembly! how this happened i have no idea, but the seal is also leaking on the release bearing (still leaks when pushed back on) so that was £170 for the two parts which was respectable price for what other prices was, qutioting the SAVEME75 on car parts for less!.
took me 6 hours to take out on my own in the end which i thought was decent enough.
more to come!

Loadsamiles
Sunday 18th May 2014, 23:27
That occurrence would generally be considered to be a BAD thing.

JUDGENINJA
Monday 19th May 2014, 01:36
SMF conversion then?

s40t
Wednesday 4th June 2014, 18:51
UPDATE: I managed to adjust my pressure plate finally! I found an ingenious and extremely clev, nah it's not really, I'll just show you
Another angle

These are the springs that needed compressing before..
After

It was a pig fiddly job but done it! Saves me money. Got a driveshaft to go on Thabks to mitchy boy! I'll put it all back together and let you know how it goes. :)

s40t
Thursday 14th August 2014, 17:16
I AM NOW BREAKING THE CAR. I cannot advertise in the for sale so please forgive me. But whole car is up to be broken. Please text me name, location and parts wanted as I'll get back asap.

Parts not available:
Coil packs
Fuel pump
Rear window

Thanks