PDA

View Full Version : damper rebound

mzafeer76
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 12:35
Right quick question..i bought some front dampers for the 850 t5 of a guy called shem racing off ebay..the dampers came but when you compress them they dont rebound up.the guy is argueing with me to say they are not suppose to rebound..i swear tried to explain to the dude but he wont have it..all dampers are suppose to have rebound..aint they??

M-R-P
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 12:41
Nope - I fitted new shocks to a P1 V70 and they didn't rebound. P2 shocks however, take about 50Kg to compress.

Shem is a well known chap over on T5D5 and I wouldn't think he'd rip you off. T5D5 make a point of flaming shoddy traders.

jamesy12345
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 12:47
Shem is a member on here also

M-R-P
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 12:51
Shem is a member on here also

He is indeed but he doesn't pop in often.

mzafeer76
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 13:00
Thats why i came in here..to get a opinion..thanks guys.the dampers take less than 50kg to compress,but they just sit compressed..i thought they wud rebound up.24402

mzafeer76
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 13:01
Thats the dampers compressed..

stribo
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 13:06
All the dampers do is damp the action of the springs, so they have no need to rebound.

M-R-P
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 13:14
As above, all they'll do is damp and not spring back up. The P2 ones are somewhat different so a pointless comparison :D

t5 pete
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 13:18
The spring rebounds the strut

mzafeer76
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 13:27
So i'm good to keep them then?

M-R-P
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 13:37
Yeah, they're fine mate.

jamesy12345
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 13:50
He is indeed but he doesn't pop in often.

I'll be seeing him tomorrow to get the Shark back :D and a bacon sandwich

960kg
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 14:01
I think your all getting your terminology incorrect!

When you compress a spring it then uncompresses (rebound)....unless it has something holding it in the compressed state like the weight of the car or rusty pistons etc.

On standard suspension one is usually allowed after the compression one rebound then one slight compression followed by the final rebound.

I have just been out to my V70 with 40mm lowered Bilstein struts on the front and over a 1/2" compression it will rebound back to the normal height then repeat for just a minimal amount.

If the struts are off the car and do not rebound to the original length after compression then the pistons or dampers are sticking.

One has to have rebound for the suspension to work, no matter what amount in distance.

With the rear shockers they act different as they dont have the springs attached and if compressed sometimes will not rebound until on the motor with the spring or until a new damper has bled itself in.

It doesn`t matter whatsoever what car the springs or shock absorbers hang on the physics is all the same.........if the setup is soft the compression / rebound happens more.

M-R-P
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 14:01

Does he throw the sarnie in as part of the service?

M-R-P
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 14:05
I think your all getting your terminology incorrect!

When you compress a spring it then uncompresses (rebound)....unless it has something holding it in the compressed state like the weight of the car or rusty pistons etc.

On standard suspension one is usually allowed after the compression one rebound then one slight compression followed by the final rebound.

I have just been out to my V70 with 40mm lowered Bilstein struts on the front and over a 1/2" compression it will rebound back to the normal height then repeat for just a minimal amount.

If the struts are off the car and do not rebound to the original length after compression then the pistons or dampers are sticking.

One has to have rebound for the suspension to work, no matter what amount in distance.

With the rear shockers they act different as they dont have the springs attached and if compressed sometimes will not rebound until on the motor with the spring.

It doesn`t matter whatsoever what car the springs or shock absorbers hang on the physics is all the same.........if the setup is soft the compression / rebound happens more.

Terminology aside, the OP was asking if his shocks (completely unattached to any other part of the car) should return to the full length when compressed and released - which they shouldn't.

P2 shocks however, do but that's for another thread.

:)

WOODY T5
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 14:10
is not that gas one`s do and oil filled dont reboud peeps

960kg
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 14:11
Terminology aside, the OP was asking if his shocks (completely unattached to any other part of the car) should return to the full length when compressed and released - which they shouldn't.

P2 shocks however, do but that's for another thread.

:)

No need for another thread as the OP should of stated whether Gas filled or Oil filled shockers.

As you should know P2 i believe are gas shockers and so will return to there full length with or without a spring.......however most older designed Volvo`s as standard maybe just oil filled so will not return unless something forces them!

woody just beat me to it and also knocked the nail on the head!

jamesy12345
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 14:18
Does he throw the sarnie in as part of the service?

No that would be the nice lady in the burger van nearby, comes with her own Sirocco

M-R-P
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 14:32
is not that gas one`s do and oil filled dont reboud peeps

No need for another thread as the OP should of stated whether Gas filled or Oil filled shockers.

As you should know P2 i believe are gas shockers and so will return to there full length with or without a spring.......however most older designed Volvo`s as standard maybe just oil filled so will not return unless something forces them!

Yep and yep - I just didn't want to go into the P2 ones as they were irrelevant to this topic. :)

stribo
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 14:43
If we really want to get picky, and further off topic, then gas filled is a misnomer anyway,as they still have oil in them, it's just the gas that gives it its damping properties.:D

soothingduck
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 14:54
Shem is right and you are wrong. springs bounce and dampers try to stop them,that's how it works mate.

As long as the damper is hard to compress/extent it is working, if it easy to compress/extent then it is no good.

Rebound never comes into it with this kind of damper.

Just so you know I do not know Shem at all.

mzafeer76
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 16:55
O.k i think it answers my question yes Shem was right after all and will drop him a message to let him know..

soothingduck
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 17:03
O.k i think it answers my question yes Shem was right after all and will drop him a message to let him know..

Good man :dunce:

t5 pete
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 17:09

As you should know P2 i believe are gas shockers and so will return to there full length with or without a spring.......however most older designed Volvo`s as standard maybe just oil filled so will not return unless something forces them

so were not all getting oit terminology wrong then

graemewelch
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 17:09

Drop me a text or a pm james. You might be able to help me out

960kg
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 18:41
so were not all getting oit terminology wrong then

You are really .......as one never tests a damper in it`s cardboard box ....does one!

With us mere mortals on the street repairing our motors then one has to have the damper on the car with it`s spring to tell if it`s knackered or not!

If there is another way then tell me as i am willing to learn even after 46yrs of motors Lol

.................................................. .....................

stribo
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 19:22
You are really .......as one never tests a damper in it`s cardboard box ....does one!

With us mere mortals on the street repairing our motors then one has to have the damper on the car with it`s spring to tell if it`s knackered or not!

If there is another way then tell me as i am willing to learn even after 46yrs of motors Lol

Or if it's got coilovers not bounce at all, assuming you can push it down in the first place. ;)

t5 pete
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 19:30

Lol now who is missing the point the op asked if his dampers should rebound while off the car I.e the current state there in to which they don't so I think you will find most were correct in their reply.
yes you would check the condition on dampers when they are fitted but that's totally different to what the op asked.
I never doubt any ones knoledge or experience but always make sure I know the facts before commenting

mzafeer76
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 21:06
Lol am sure all you guy with your opinions are right whether dampers are on or off the car.
main thing is that me and Shem got it sorted and it hasnt left a bad taste in the mouth..our convo did get heated but we said our sorrys and shook on it( not technically) like true men lol

stribo
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 21:14
Lol am sure all you guy with your opinions are right whether dampers are on or off the car.
main thing is that me and Shem got it sorted and it hasnt left a bad taste in the mouth..our convo did get heated but we said our sorrys and shook on it( not technically) like true men lol

Glad it's sorted mate. :B_thumb:

960kg
Friday 4th April 2014, 10:13

Pleased to hear your sorted .....and also very pleased to read that you are Not narrow minded with blinkered vision, unlike some!

960kg
Friday 4th April 2014, 10:24
Lol now who is missing the point the op asked if his dampers should rebound while off the car I.e the current state there in to which they don't so I think you will find most were correct in their reply.
yes you would check the condition on dampers when they are fitted but that's totally different to what the op asked.
I never doubt any ones knoledge or experience but always make sure I know the facts before commenting

I will keep on just like yourself to score points!

If you read the posts properly the op does not say whether the dampers are on the car or not........he states 50kg to compress them and you see them in the box but they could be fitted when he talks about them?

You apparently cant` spell or read the facts properly!:smlove2:

t5 pete
Friday 4th April 2014, 13:02
I will keep on just like yourself to score points!

If you read the posts properly the op does not say whether the dampers are on the car or not........he states 50kg to compress them and you see them in the box but they could be fitted when he talks about them?

You apparently cant` spell or read the facts properly!:smlove2:

lol now whos trying to score low down points oh you apparently cannot spell very pathetic and puny im sure you fail miserably in some point of your life but im not as low down as you and would not comment.
and please re read he doesnt say it takes 50kg to compress he responds to a question saying it doesnt take 50kg to compress them please keep up.
grow up

oh and p.s. he shows a pic of them off the car does it hurt you so much that ude try to argue as much as you can instead of just sayinghOh yeah jumped the gun.
the difference between you and I is im man enough to admit when I was wrong

M-R-P
Friday 4th April 2014, 13:07
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/projects/panda-eating-popcorn_zpsfd82df34.gif (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/martinrpeachey/media/projects/panda-eating-popcorn_zpsfd82df34.gif.html)

jamesy12345
Friday 4th April 2014, 14:01
Drop me a text or a pm james. You might be able to help me out

Ey up want a bacon sarnie too? Pm'd

theflyingbrick
Friday 4th April 2014, 16:37
I click on the thread to give some advice and not only do I see the problems solved but I also see a lot of willy waving!!! is it really necessary?? the fact is the op asked a question and it was answered correctly,if we were all to start "assuming" the facts then whats the point?? come on peeps sort it aaaaaat lol

t5 pete
Friday 4th April 2014, 19:45
I click on the thread to give some advice and not only do I see the problems solved but I also see a lot of willy waving!!! is it really necessary?? the fact is the op asked a question and it was answered correctly,if we were all to start "assuming" the facts then whats the point?? come on peeps sort it aaaaaat lol

Yes very true and I do apologise to the op for cluttering the thread just dont like to be told were wrong when we wasnt but last I will say

960kg
Saturday 5th April 2014, 11:56
I thought you all liked Banter :uglyhamme ha! ha!...........Frankie told me off for not chatting!

I see it is others who don`t like the same type of reply.........i`m 66 yrs i think it`s time you woke up ......look past the end of your nose.