PDA

View Full Version : modifications

abdul
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 16:28
What mods can I do besides having the ecu remapped which I have done

t5 pete
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 16:32
All depends on what you want did I read some where about yours being auto if so a extra oil cooler wouldnt hurt suspension upgrades brakes rip kit strut brace other bigger mods would only beafit from a new custom map

abdul
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 16:48
All depends on what you want did I read some where about yours being auto if so a extra oil cooler wouldnt hurt suspension upgrades brakes rip kit strut brace other bigger mods would only beafit from a new custom map

Would things like 3 inch downpipe sports cat benefit it would I then have to get it remapped

abdul
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 16:49

Yes mine is auto was thinking of a oil cooler

foammanmark
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 18:51
Which of your cars are you thinking of Abdul?

M-R-P
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 18:56
Machine guns :)

abdul
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 19:34
Which of your cars are you thinking of Abdul?

Thinking of moding the saffy

foammanmark
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 19:36
Thinking of moding the saffy

I didn't think it would be Laser, but thought I better check...............

abdul
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 19:38
I didn't think it would be Laser, but thought I better check...............

Leaving the laser as it is

foammanmark
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 19:50
Leaving the laser as it is

Yeah, she's pretty modded anyway...........but I wanted to fit headlight eyebrows.

abdul
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 20:31
Yeah, she's pretty modded anyway...........but I wanted to fit headlight eyebrows.

I have fitted wind deflectors to the laser got some eyebrows which I have had for years might fit them

t5 pete
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 20:39
Would things like 3 inch downpipe sports cat benefit it would I then have to get it remapped

you would benefit from a 3" angled housing to joint with the down pipe and cat but it all depends on what you want to spend and what you want to achieve are you looking for alot more power or just the odd bits and bobs etc

abdul
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 20:45
you would benefit from a 3" angled housing to joint with the down pipe and cat but it all depends on what you want to spend and what you want to achieve are you looking for alot more power or just the odd bits and bobs etc

Looking for more power but dont want to have silly power as the fwd just spin the tyres

abdul
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 20:49

Where would I get the 3" angled housing from and other bits

abdul
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 20:50
Will the autu box be ok with more power

LiamT4
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 20:51
Just remember that its very easy to bend the rods on an auto, so be careful with your upgrades. Power thats fine on a manual car, can cause issues on an auto because of the nature of the box.

abdul
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 20:56
Just remember that its very easy to bend the rods on an auto, so be careful with your upgrades. Power thats fine on a manual car, can cause issues on an auto because of the nature of the box.

What upgrades do u think are fine for a auto

Kingsford G
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 21:02

Ask frankie,he bent more than 1 rod lol

LiamT4
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 21:08

If your sticking with the standard turbo, then things like the 3"dp and sports cat should be fine, also the later "R" manifold and a bigger intercooler.

Also, i would be tempted to then try and get the most out of those mods by getting it custom mapped, which i know is hard with the older motronic ecu's, but more and more people seem to be having success with this.

Get the extra cooler for the box fitted first though.

abdul
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 21:18
If your sticking with the standard turbo, then things like the 3"dp and sports cat should be fine, also the later "R" manifold and a bigger intercooler.

Also, i would be tempted to then try and get the most out of those mods by getting it custom mapped, which i know is hard with the older motronic ecu's, but more and more people seem to be having success with this.

Get the extra cooler for the box fitted first though.

Going to ring rufe and see how much the volvo one is

LiamT4
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 21:19
Going to ring rufe and see how much the volvo one is

It was a while ago now, but my garage quoted me about £300 including fitting..........was a few years ago now though.

abdul
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 21:23
It was a while ago now, but my garage quoted me about £300 including fitting..........was a few years ago now though.

Hoping they are cheaper now wheres the best place to get the downpipe

LiamT4
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 21:30
Hoping they are cheaper now wheres the best place to get the downpipe

Considering the extra safe guard the cooler gives you, i think its a fair price and if you do want to get a bit more power then its a must really. Best to get it right than have to get another box.

On the DP question, i would tend to get one custom made, i go to places like custom chrome for my exhaust needs. Have a word with graeme, he may be able to help, the people on here that he has made stuff for really rate him.

Kingsford G
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 23:06
I think genuine cooler is under £200 and comes with all the fittings so easy to install.I prefer a modified auto to manual all day long.

abdul
Friday 4th April 2014, 00:44
I think genuine cooler is under £200 and comes with all the fittings so easy to install.I prefer a modified auto to manual all day long.

What mod should I start with

RollingThunder
Sunday 6th April 2014, 10:58
My usual upgrade path is to make sure the car can handle the extra power first - so I always hit the brakes and tyres first. 302s and Police spec pads on the front, OEM or Mintex pads on the back. ATE Super Racing Blue brake fluid, braided hoses. If you've got an ABS ECU problem, sort that first before doing engine mods ;) Also make sure your suspension is solid - good shocks and antiroll bars are a must unless you like a jellymould rocket.

Next is the transmission. More power = loads more stress for the gearbox, so fit an aux cooler as suggested, and ideally synthetic ATF - I usually use AMSOIL in cars I intend to keep. Expesive but very good (if you need Dexron III, not sure of the synthetic upgrade for the later boxes). Flush it out rather than just draining it, it does make a difference.

Then I'd look at the downpipe/exhaust/manifold/turbo. They're all linked so if you're fitting a different turbo you ideally need to change them all at the same time. Can be scary expensive, but better than fitting a new exhaust then deciding to change the turbo and downpipe later. Yes been there sadly - I ended up getting a custom section made up to mate the bits together.

Next up is the intercooler and plumbing. With that lot sorted you'll need a remap to take advantage of the modes. If you're getting bigger injectors too, then again it makes sense to fit those at the same time as the remap.

This is assuming you're going the whole hog, rather than keeping the engine pretty std and just remapping to optimise what you already have?

Only throwing this in the ring to get the discussion going for you ;) :D:D:D

abdul
Sunday 6th April 2014, 21:17
Thanks hopefuly going to start in a few weeks

foammanmark
Sunday 6th April 2014, 21:20
Thanks hopefuly going to start in a few weeks

Look forward to hearing what mods you do Abdul.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 6th April 2014, 21:30
My usual upgrade path is to make sure the car can handle the extra power first - so I always hit the brakes and tyres first. 302s and Police spec pads on the front, OEM or Mintex pads on the back. ATE Super Racing Blue brake fluid, braided hoses. If you've got an ABS ECU problem, sort that first before doing engine mods ;) Also make sure your suspension is solid - good shocks and antiroll bars are a must unless you like a jellymould rocket.

Next is the transmission. More power = loads more stress for the gearbox, so fit an aux cooler as suggested, and ideally synthetic ATF - I usually use AMSOIL in cars I intend to keep. Expesive but very good (if you need Dexron III, not sure of the synthetic upgrade for the later boxes). Flush it out rather than just draining it, it does make a difference.

Then I'd look at the downpipe/exhaust/manifold/turbo. They're all linked so if you're fitting a different turbo you ideally need to change them all at the same time. Can be scary expensive, but better than fitting a new exhaust then deciding to change the turbo and downpipe later. Yes been there sadly - I ended up getting a custom section made up to mate the bits together.

Next up is the intercooler and plumbing. With that lot sorted you'll need a remap to take advantage of the modes. If you're getting bigger injectors too, then again it makes sense to fit those at the same time as the remap.

This is assuming you're going the whole hog, rather than keeping the engine pretty std and just remapping to optimise what you already have?

Only throwing this in the ring to get the discussion going for you ;) :D:D:D

Extra power doesn't make your car any heavier - however good brake pads are useful, Ferodo DS2500s are an easy upgrade.

I've run around many GB circuits and the standard brakes are ok, so long as you have decent pads.

I think protecting the auto box from the additional heat is important.

abdul
Sunday 6th April 2014, 21:32
I think first going to get the oil intercooler

abdul
Sunday 6th April 2014, 21:33
I need a guide and mentor to guide me

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 6th April 2014, 21:42
Back in the day I used to make custom oil cooler based on a 13 row Mocal for the Aisin Warner box. But like it's been pointed out you can get the Volvo kit for cheaper now.

Your V70 will most likely already have 302mm front disks. Braided lines & newer brake fluid is a good idea (bet it's never been changed?).

abdul
Sunday 6th April 2014, 21:49
Back in the day I used to make custom oil cooler based on a 13 row Mocal for the Aisin Warner box. But like it's been pointed out you can get the Volvo kit for cheaper now.

Your V70 will most likely already have 302mm front disks. Braided lines & newer brake fluid is a good idea (bet it's never been changed?).

Will get the brake fluid changed soon

abdul
Sunday 6th April 2014, 21:49
Is there a how to change brake fluid anywhere

JamesT5
Sunday 6th April 2014, 22:16
What mods can I do besides having the ecu remapped which I have done

Powerflex the whole car. :D :B_thumb:

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 6th April 2014, 22:50
Method will vary slightly depending on whether you plan to change the brake lines for SS ones (recommend Goodrich).
I think it will be easiest using a pressurised brake bleeder to force the new fluid through - particularly if you are single handed.

You can remove the excess old fluid with a turkey baster.

Bleed the lines starting farthest from the reservoir 1st. One way bleed valve kit will be needed if you're on your own. NSR, OSR, NSF, OSF?

At least with the auto you will not need to bleed the clutch.

You'll need to run enough fluid through each line to replace the old stuff. If you're replacing the flexible lines, then change the line on each corner first, empty the caliper & then flush/bleed the corner after each line change.

RollingThunder
Monday 7th April 2014, 08:34
Re the brake fluid, one of the benefits of the ATE Super Racing Blue is that it is actually blue - so you can see when the new fluid is coming through. Next change use clear fluid. That way you know you've got all the old stuff out ;)