PDA

View Full Version : Sick of the smoking now, need a cure.

Tomcat
Tuesday 1st April 2014, 19:28
After getting the turbo rebuilt recently I thought that would cure the awfull smoking habbit my car has, sadly its still quite bad. The car is using oil but there don't appear to be any major leaks and the compression test I did a while back gave pretty good readings for the cylinders, they were all pretty even. Just wondering what else it will be? Valve stem seals or something else?.. It smokes the most when it's been idling in traffic for a few minutes, then when you pull away there's a largish puff of blue smoke. Oh the PCV has previously been replaced but I cant remember who did it, seems ok as there's no smoke out the dipstick tube. Going to be trying to fix this next month once Uni is finished for the summer.

merc85
Tuesday 1st April 2014, 19:40
Hi TC my 855r is having them Head/Valve stems done next week

JamesT5
Tuesday 1st April 2014, 20:18
I'd recommend Nicotine Patches for a smoking habit but i doubt they'll work on a car...... ;)

Could it be a blocked PCV system?

merc85
Tuesday 1st April 2014, 20:18
I'd recommend Nicotine Patches for a smoking habit but i doubt they'll work on a car...... ;)

Could it be a blocked PCV system?

no :)

t5 pete
Tuesday 1st April 2014, 20:21
Welcome back it will be a head off job

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 1st April 2014, 22:51
The thing that eventually cured my oil usage/smoke was changing the stem seals (after doing the PCv and doing a turbo rebuild). They were that worn the valves dropped straight out when undone, new seals were nice and tight.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 1st April 2014, 23:30
Mine was doing this, and, I'm afraid to say, it was worn bores! :(

Never did a compression check on it, but as the bores were worn in the middle, I would guess that it wouldn't have made much different to the results.

merc85
Tuesday 1st April 2014, 23:53
Mine does it only when hot and the engne has been switch off for say 20 mins, then go start her and she puff's a split second then all good. If stationary for lets say 15mins wen hot then pull away she will give a large puff of blue then clear's. She's doesnt puff on boost or over run or normal driving. Oil usage practically zero doesnt puff 1st thing when sat over night either.

soothingduck
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 00:17
mine is as slack as XXXX
I could blow harder and I smoke 40 a day :pimp2:

Tomcat
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 00:51
Mine does it only when hot and the engne has been switch off for say 20 mins, then go start her and she puff's a split second then all good. If stationary for lets say 15mins wen hot then pull away she will give a large puff of blue then clear's. She's doesnt puff on boost or over run or normal driving. Oil usage practically zero doesnt puff 1st thing when sat over night either.

Yeah mines nothing like that, smokes pretty much all the time if left to tickover for too long. I hope it's the valve stem seals because otherwise its new engine time. I dont know who fitted the PCV kit on this so I dont know how well it was fitted, though I'm fairly confident that a blocked pcv wouldnt cause this amount of oil to get into the cylinders.