PDA

View Full Version : That would explain the crunching noise - AWD V70

samfwell
Tuesday 1st April 2014, 17:49
After a few full throttle blips yesterday, I started to hear some crunching from just in front of the bulkhead, my initial feeling was that the diff/transfer boxwas crunching some gears but a quick look under the bonnet revealed I'd crucified the top engine steady!

http://i.imgur.com/w3BcAzR.jpg

Is it just a case of replace it and don't drive like a ££££ again (not likely) or is this symptomatic of another problem?

The car is a 1997 V70 AWD 2.5T with a manual boost controller fitted <0.5 bar peak.

Cheers,

Sam

siamblue
Tuesday 1st April 2014, 20:02
i haven't see that before,are you sure all of your other mounts are ok?

JamesT5
Tuesday 1st April 2014, 20:11
After a few full throttle blips yesterday, I started to hear some crunching from just in front of the bulkhead, my initial feeling was that the diff/transfer boxwas crunching some gears but a quick look under the bonnet revealed I'd crucified the top engine steady!

http://i.imgur.com/w3BcAzR.jpg

Is it just a case of replace it and don't drive like a ££££ again (not likely) or is this symptomatic of another problem?

The car is a 1997 V70 AWD 2.5T with a manual boost controller fitted <0.5 bar peak.

Cheers,

Sam

If you're referring to the top engine mount, I'd definitely recommend Powerflexing it for the future mate.

merc85
Tuesday 1st April 2014, 20:15
Check the front cross member mount next to the ops switch, also the rear engine mount under the turbo, its covered by a black crash shield. These are oil filled and can give way with age.

Your breakage is the cause of another issue imho. ;)

Redbrick
Tuesday 1st April 2014, 22:24
Look at the picture a little closer... ROFL

merc85
Tuesday 1st April 2014, 22:32
Look at the picture a little closer... ROFL

as james said replace the top moun t with a power flex one, i still cant see that snapping the torque bar

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 1st April 2014, 22:54
Wow, thats some damage, never seen that before.

Also looks like someone has fitted the top engine bush the wrong way, the rubber should sit vertically not horizontally.

merc85
Tuesday 1st April 2014, 22:57
Wow, thats some damage, never seen that before.

Also looks like someone has fitted the top engine bush the wrong way, the rubber should sit vertically not horizontally.

The centre has been pushed though, i had one once where the whole bush was sliding though but it didnt cause that damage.

samfwell
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 00:43
Correct, the bush was ballsed before, just didn't suspect it could cause that much damage. Just seen there's a powerflex kit in the for sale area but it looks like it's for a slightly later year. That's a shame, guess I'll have to be careful contacting breakers on eBay that I get an older one.

Redbrick: What's ROFLworthy? Just the item in quetion or is there some other calamity with the engine bay? I have cut the air-con pipes at the bulkhead and deleted the rad as it wasn't working anyway.

JamesT5
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 07:19
Correct, the bush was ballsed before, just didn't suspect it could cause that much damage. Just seen there's a powerflex kit in the for sale area but it looks like it's for a slightly later year. That's a shame, guess I'll have to be careful contacting breakers on eBay that I get an older one.

Redbrick: What's ROFLworthy? Just the item in quetion or is there some other calamity with the engine bay? I have cut the air-con pipes at the bulkhead and deleted the rad as it wasn't working anyway.

Check out Parts For Volvos website mate, they sell a good range of stuff in there.

Redbrick
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 09:43

Apologies, though the split and twisted metal had been missed... :slap:

I'd agree with others; an engine mount must be FUBAR to cause that much engine movement.

merc85
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 10:46
Apologies, though the split and twisted metal had been missed... :slap:

not by me. nor james

samfwell
Sunday 1st June 2014, 13:58
Thought I'd just post the follow up here. As far as I can tell, I failed to tighten the lower engine steady bar properly so the nut and bolt fell out. I guess this caused the extra strain on the top bar and when that went, it absolutely shagged the pulley side mount. In the end, it looked like this:
http://i.imgur.com/9idAscHl.jpg http://i.imgur.com/PzzuBQsl.jpg

It's a wonder the engine didn't fall out. Worst bit about it was, the prop-shaft had been resting on the steering rack and worn/machined quite a bit of it away.

Numpty, signing off.

samfwell
Sunday 1st June 2014, 14:06
The pictures above show the damaged mount on the right and the first one I bought to replace it which obviously isn't quite the same. Eventually got the right one, replaced that mount and also fitted a polybush top mount. Job's a good'un

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 1st June 2014, 14:19
That looks bad.. Glad to see you've found a route cause as I have never seen one bent like that.

I snapped an engine mount in half earlier this year. This was caused by two lower mountings that had already failed..

woz
Wednesday 4th June 2014, 22:33
That looks bad.. Glad to see you've found a route cause as I have never seen one bent like that.

I snapped an engine mount in half earlier this year. This was caused by two lower mountings that had already failed..
Likewise. When one goes it pays to check all the others as any weak ones will be hastened to their doom. The bottom front one and top bulkhead one seem to go in pretty much the same time.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 4th June 2014, 22:50
Ah yes, the mount at the timing belt end. Mine went on my AWD, started knocking whilst I was in Wales, thought I had really broken something.

Problem is with the AWD there is no rear engine mount so the top mount is even more stressed (there is a gearbox mount which helps I suppose)

RollingThunder
Thursday 5th June 2014, 08:23
I fired up the BoneWagon at the weekend and while I was poking about, I also found that the engine was ... shall we say 'free'. After switching off I tried to move the engine back n forth and was shocked to find virtually no resistance at all - so I reckon I need new engine & gearbox mounts too.

I think PFV are going to get a big boost to their Christmas party fund soon as the next parts list is growing daily :worried: The last box of bits from FRF cost more than I paid for the car...