PDA

View Full Version : Injector advise on the R please.

foammanmark
Saturday 29th March 2014, 19:42
Something I know very little about so please don't take the mick. My R has whites, and ever since the Rica map was fitted, it has missed quite noticeably at 3-3,500rpm. I've run injector cleaner through her, V-Power all the time but she still misses. Should I try blues or greens, or just have my whites cleaned properly please? The map was not 'made for my car', but for someone else's.

merc85
Saturday 29th March 2014, 19:46
Why do you think its a injector issue??

foammanmark
Saturday 29th March 2014, 19:48
Why do you think its a injector issue??

Partly because of the lean running issue that I had, which seemed to be mainly down to the vac pipe being disconnected though. The injectors may well be nothing to do with my issue, but I have to eliminate things as it's annoying me.

merc85
Saturday 29th March 2014, 19:50
Can you not try another ecu to rule that out?

foammanmark
Saturday 29th March 2014, 19:52
If I had one, then yes. My ecu was swapped for the mapped one. So I need to try a fwd manual R ecu, if anyone can help please?

deathrider311271
Saturday 29th March 2014, 19:55
will a T5 work ok in it??

foammanmark
Saturday 29th March 2014, 19:56

Haven't got a clue tbh.

foammanmark
Saturday 29th March 2014, 20:11

I'm even thinking of another map tbh. It's really annoying me, and I have to sort it.

RollingThunder
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 13:09
There is a good ECU compatibility table here - http://turbo-tuner.co.uk/ttusb-compatible.htm

The website wasn't available a few weeks ago, so I'd recommend copying it asap if you need it ;)

EDIT - Oops - just realised yours is a V70, so its a motronic 4.4, in which case that link isn't applicable sorry. I'll leave the link just in case any 850 owners need to refer to it

jamesy12345
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 13:31
To check if the ECU is OK, I think you will need one from a similar car to yours, Mark. There are lists of ECU numbers (http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/7489-ecu-codes/)on the net but just take a look at yours

My ECU number is 0 261 204 449 as below but is an auto so not much use to you

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?51112-S70-cd-1997/page2

jamesy12345
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 13:33

don't think so, if his is a manual then it has an 18T turbo not a 16 ike a T-5

Jamest5r
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 14:35
How old are the.plugs in it? Might be getting blow out on them and need the gaps closing a little try this first as it's free:) close them to about 22 thou

M-R-P
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 14:43
Shrek's R coughed and missed at about 3500rpm under "heavy load", we changed leads, dizzy, coil and plugs (and fitted refurbed blues) and not only did the cough go away but it went like a mo-fo too :)

stribo
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 15:42
How old are the.plugs in it? Might be getting blow out on them and need the gaps closing a little try this first as it's free:) close them to about 22 thou

This could well be the answer Mark, I'm getting an occasional mifire at full throttle full boost, so will regap the plugs first.

Jamest5r
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 15:59
This could well be the answer Mark, I'm getting an occasional mifire at full throttle full boost, so will regap the plugs first.

When mine was being mapped felt like it was blowing all 5 out BIG stuttering lol

960kg
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 16:12
Recommended gap is 0.8 which is 31 thou`ish .......mine are set at 0.7 which is 27 thou........i would say 22 thou is too low as 25 was the norm. before metric and electronic ignition!

Miss firing at 3-3,500rpm on a turbo is usually plugs but get the proper Volvo ones not Bosch or NGK ......Volvo specified Bosch ones will give no problems even after a large mileage whereas any of the other makes may give miss fires at around 8,000mls and you won`t find the problem as you think you have new plugs!

Pay once, fit once, fit Volvo!

stribo
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 16:16
When mine was being mapped felt like it was blowing all 5 out BIG stuttering lol

You're running a bit more boost than me though. ;)

foammanmark
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 18:16

The map was fitted at the same time as a full service end of July last year, so I presume the plugs were changed at the time. I'm sure that the gaps will be spot on too, but may be worth a look.

foammanmark
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 18:19
Recommended gap is 0.8 which is 31 thou`ish .......mine are set at 0.7 which is 27 thou........i would say 22 thou is too low as 25 was the norm. before metric and electronic ignition!

Miss firing at 3-3,500rpm on a turbo is usually plugs but get the proper Volvo ones not Bosch or NGK ......Volvo specified Bosch ones will give no problems even after a large mileage whereas any of the other makes may give miss fires at around 8,000mls and you won`t find the problem as you think you have new plugs!

I have a service coming up, and will ensure that decent plugs are fitted. In fact I will take them for a spin in the car and let them feel the splutter for themselves.

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 19:58
I have a service coming up, and will ensure that decent plugs are fitted. In fact I will take them for a spin in the car and let them feel the splutter for themselves.

the point they are making Mark, is that your service people will have set the correct gap for your car, but your re-map may require a closer gap set to counter the extra boost trying to blow out the spark a certain points in the rev range.

foammanmark
Wednesday 2nd April 2014, 20:03
the point they are making Mark, is that your service people will have set the correct gap for your car, but your re-map may require a closer gap set to counter the extra boost trying to blow out the spark a certain points in the rev range.

Right got you thanks!! I wasn't quite grasping this, but do now. I'll take a look and make the adjustments if required.

jamesy12345
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 10:16

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqpregap.asp?mode=nml

Q: Do I need to set the "gap" when installing a new set of plugs?

A: Maybe. A spark plug part number might fit hundreds of different engines from many different manufacturers. Although the NGK factory will set the gap to a pre-selected setting, this may not be the right gap for your particular engine. The incorrect plug gap for your engine can contribute to a high rate of misfires, loss of power, plug fouling, poor fuel economy, and accelerated plug wear. It is always best to check the gap against the manufacturer's specifications. If adjusting the gap on fine wire or precious metal plugs such as platinum or iridium be very careful not to apply any pressure or prying force to the fine wire center electrode or insulator as they can be damaged. The gap should be adjusted by only moving the ground electrode.

Another consideration that should be taken into account is the extent of any modifications that you may have made to the engine. As an example, when you raise compression or add forced induction (a turbo system, nitrous or supercharger kit) you must reduce the gap (about .004" for every 50 hp you add). However, when you add a high power ignition system (such as those offered by MSD, Crane, Nology) you can open the gap from .002-.005".

merc85
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 10:20

VOLVO is Bosch

You Shouldnt re-gap platium/fine tip plugs, there will be another Part number with the correct Gap.

Jamest5r
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 10:25
You Shouldnt re-gap platium/fine tip plugs, there will be another Part number with the correct Gap.

I had to re gap ngk 8's the other week

merc85
Thursday 3rd April 2014, 11:28
I had to re gap ngk 8's the other week

there will be another number for the specified gap you set yours, As for spark blow out there may be when runing anything bigger than a std 19t

foammanmark
Friday 4th April 2014, 16:50
Right, the car is in for a full service at Readview Volvo on the 22nd of this month. Therefore, new plugs and we'll see if those with a reduced gap to normal makes a difference. Let you all know after I've tested her.

960kg
Friday 4th April 2014, 17:17

The only plugs not suitable for re gapping are the three pronged ones, stated in the appropriate Volvo Handbook

VOLVO is Bosch

Read my post again it says Volvo Bosch........which are Volvo specified plugs made by Bosch......Bosch cannot sell them as it is copyright!.........The only proper specified plug for the STANDARD engine is Volvo Plugs

merc85
Friday 4th April 2014, 17:25
The only plugs not suitable for re gapping are the three pronged ones, stated in the appropriate Volvo Handbook

Read my post again it says Volvo Bosch........which are Volvo specified plugs made by Bosch......Bosch cannot sell them as it is copyright!.........The only proper specified plug for the STANDARD engine is Volvo Plugs

I dont need to read your post again! THERE NOT COPYRIGHT!! they have the right to distribute FACT!

oblark
Friday 4th April 2014, 17:39
Volvo don`t make spares. They get company`s to make spares to Volvo spec and label the parts "volvo"

960kg
Friday 4th April 2014, 19:18
I dont need to read your post again! THERE NOT COPYRIGHT!! they have the right to distribute FACT!

Volvo spec. plugs are copyright as they have spent years with there manufacturer,Bosch to get the heat range correct for all models, Ford plugs after 2005........ and also want to profit from them doing so.

Here are a few posts from the VOC of which Clan has worked for Volvo`s for over 40yrs.........there are loads of different items made by others to Volvo specs for Volvo and they are not off the shelf at the aftermarket places they are all captured parts from Volvo.

One of my friends works in the parts department at Volvo and he says the same about plugs.....you cannot buy a Bosch plug with the Bosch part number on it from Volvo ......ONLY the Volvo specified plug made by Bosch with the Volvo code pressed in around the centre metal part of the plug.

To prove to yourself go try and buy a set with a Bosch part number as i have asked my mate and they cannot be ordered.

merc85
Friday 4th April 2014, 19:29
Bosch like other manufactuer's spent ££££s Designing there plug for VOLVO Bosch are the Owner of the copyright NOT volvo!

Your saying Bosch spent £££s develping a plug then made spent £££s making a lesser plug to sell to the aftermarket.

Why dont other manufacter a VOLVO badge?? well its because VOLVO own the Name so other's cannot copy that why you cant copy a Volvo or any other vehicle embluem.

We will have to agree to disagree, Eurocarparts/Unipart/Central auto supply and thousands of other motor factors are now going to go out of business because of supplying all these copyright infregmnt lesser parts.

Oh btw ive just bought a Bosch air flow metre, Oh just noticed that every part number on the air flow metre is the same as every other part number on the original Bosch volvo air flow metre, funny that?

One more point keith, I havent pushed my Company on this thread mate. nor the sale of plugs to anyone on this thread.

soothingduck
Friday 4th April 2014, 20:25
Its getting pointy in here :duck:

merc85
Friday 4th April 2014, 20:28
Its getting pointy in here :duck:

Bosch make that particular plug for various other vehicles too, NOT just for Volvos hence you dont see the Volvo number on the plug (ONLY THE ONES from Volvo). It would certainly upset the local ford comunity. lol

soothingduck
Friday 4th April 2014, 20:39
I worked at a motorfactors untill 2012 and would say bosch make a range of plugs to suit all cars with the bosch name on them BUT they do not make all plugs with bosch on them. Each bosch plug will match a number of makers part numbers because the plug is close to each makers plug requirements. If you want the plug for your car that is set right then you need to go to Volvo otherwise said plug may need to be adjusted. Yes bosch made the volvo plug but they made it to Volvo spec ie the gap/temp/lifespan. A plug with the Bosch name on it will be close but not quiet spot on.

There i've said it now.

soothingduck
Friday 4th April 2014, 20:45
Its not a copyright thing its just good business. I think the Bosch range goes to number 57 or so and that covers all engines. If they made a plug just right for each car they would need a range of hundreds.

Jamest5r
Friday 4th April 2014, 20:51
Anyone want a beer :)

merc85
Friday 4th April 2014, 20:52
I respect your opion but the gap is the same as the volvo plug, its thesame plug. you should not re gap a long life fine tip plug. btw the plug range is massive as you quite rightly said it would need tobe, :)

lol i dont drink im on the lemonade pmsl ;)

foammanmark
Friday 4th April 2014, 20:56

Me, I've had 6 dry nights now. What've you got?

From injectors to plugs, and beer in the same thread. Just a normal one really..................lol.

stribo
Friday 4th April 2014, 20:59

Yes please. :beer:

soothingduck
Friday 4th April 2014, 21:00
I myself use bosch and it works fine. But if i was to mod my engine then the volvo plug would not be the correct plug anyway.
MY opinion its just that, thats what forums are for.I dont want to get into a fight, just tossing the night off really.

Jamest5r
Friday 4th April 2014, 21:01
Me, I've had 6 dry nights now. What've you got?

Just boring carling, but ice cold it goes down nice especially after a 13hr shift on Britain's crappy roads :)

merc85
Friday 4th April 2014, 21:01
I myself use bosch and it works fine. But if i was to mod my engine then the volvo plug would not be the correct plug anyway.
MY opinion its just that, thats what forums are for.I dont want to get into a fight, just tossing the night off really.

lol true that ;)

actually that could be taken the wrong way lol, i didnt mean the (to55in) the night away bit :)

Yes your correct raised power etc you will have the incorrect Bosch plug lol

Jamest5r
Friday 4th April 2014, 21:04
MY opinion its just that, thats what forums are for.I dont want to get into a fight (t5d5 for that) just tossing the night off really.

I changed from volvo plugs to ngk only because of me upping the boost volvo plugs done me great for yrs and never had to regap them

stribo
Friday 4th April 2014, 21:05
Just a thought, I have NGK plugs, do Bosch make them, or Volvo. :hidesbehi

foammanmark
Friday 4th April 2014, 21:05
Just boring carling, but ice cold it goes down nice especially after a 13hr shift on Britain's crappy roads :)

Sounds good to me. I just drink normal 3.8% Carlsberg now after my stupidity when drinking the stronger stuff. Where've you been today then? I travelled down to Frankley Services last Sunday to stop there and miss the M6 on Monday morning, only to get caught in the jam after a very nasty looking accident on the M42.

merc85
Friday 4th April 2014, 21:06
Just a thought, I have NGK plugs, do Bosch make them, or Volvo. :hidesbehi

Nope NGK are just that, Because there not VOLVO copyright, and are a different design to the bosch plug so dont infringe there copyright either :)

soothingduck
Friday 4th April 2014, 21:07
I changed from volvo plugs to ngk only because of me upping the boost volvo plugs done me great for yrs and never had to regap them
:beer:
There you go get that man a drink

Jamest5r
Friday 4th April 2014, 21:10
:beer:
There you go get that man a drink

Haha can't have many though on the rollers in the morning to see how my new ngk spark plugs perform :)

soothingduck
Friday 4th April 2014, 21:12
I've got it
The bosch plugs only work in even numbers/Volvo plugs like 5sums (dirty swed's)

Jamest5r
Friday 4th April 2014, 21:15
Sounds good to me. I just drink normal 3.8% Carlsberg now after my stupidity when drinking the stronger stuff. Where've you been today then? I travelled down to Frankley Services last Sunday to stop there and miss the M6 on Monday morning, only to get caught in the jam after a very nasty looking accident on the M42.

That's why I stick to the weak lager otherwise I would own many more cars than I do like you lol

Been to east mids airport 3 times and Leicester and Birmingham airport then some crappy farm in Lincolnshire nothing exciting lol

MoleT-5R
Friday 4th April 2014, 21:26

yes please june 13-15 by the sea side I'm thinking

foammanmark
Friday 4th April 2014, 21:30
That's why I stick to the weak lager otherwise I would own many more cars than I do like you lol

Been to east mids airport 3 times and Leicester and Birmingham airport then some crappy farm in Lincolnshire nothing exciting lol

What did you do for the other half of the day? Lol.

Oh, and I'm under immense pressure from the mrs to lose a car or two, so my drunken buying has caught up with me.

Biff
Friday 4th April 2014, 21:47
Rotor arm or dizzy? Cheap fix.
I'd certainly be checking the state of your plugs mark.

foammanmark
Friday 4th April 2014, 21:49
Rotor arm or dizzy? Cheap fix.
I'd certainly be checking the state of your plugs mark.

Cheers Biff, and the plugs are about to be changed anyway. I'll get to the bottom of the issue with Readview, I'm sure.

960kg
Saturday 5th April 2014, 12:28
I will gently leave it all to those who can work it out!

Linky (http://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/10002/spark-blowout-or-is-it-my-birthday)

ALSO...........................................

merc85
Saturday 5th April 2014, 14:13
Get a statement from the manufacturer! Rather than a outlet!

960kg
Saturday 5th April 2014, 18:25
Get a statement from the manufacturer! Rather than a outlet!

I think ipd do have a high value following eg: Lee T5.....I don`t care if i am right or wrong i just try to help others that don`t know any better.

Yes, if you have 70bhp more then go up in the heat range with Bosch but not on a Standard motor, even an "R" which are just simply "rip of price" standard.

Yes, Bosch and NGK plugs work but you will get more from a Volvo plug.......just try it and you will see

merc85
Saturday 5th April 2014, 18:53
I dont push my business as much a s i could on here as ive got to look after my local business, (mostly small family busineses) thats my bread and butter, i could have course just waited to be made redundent and gone on the doll and let the state pay my rent etc 2 years ago, especially since i have 5 children to look after But after supplying and and helping my customers source alternative and oe parts for over 20 years i thought id give my own venture ago.

As ive said publisise as much as you like we will have to agree to disagree, im leaving the matter as this is not constructive for either party.

960kg
Saturday 5th April 2014, 19:18
I dont push my business as much a s i could on here as ive got to look after my local business, (mostly small family busineses) thats my bread and butter, i could have course just waited to be made redundent and gone on the doll and let the state pay my rent etc 2 years ago, especially since i have 5 children to look after But after supplying and and helping my customers source alternative and oe parts for over 20 years i thought id give my own venture ago.

As ive said publisise as much as you like we will have to agree to disagree, im leaving the matter as this is not constructive for either party.

The reason i don`t admit i am wrong about plugs is because i am NOT wrong and whenever i give advice to help others is because i can back it up with facts about my advice.

But seeing as you are talking aftermarket, yes i agree i know nothing as my Volvo is a reliable 100% Volvo as i only buy Volvo parts and when i sell it soon it will be a very good buy for someone. It does not have parts on it that need to be replaced after 6 or 12 months due to inferiority......There are an awful lot of genuine Volvo parts that are cheaper and more reliable than copy parts, most think they get a bargain from aftermarket parts.

No way would i travel at such speeds my V70 is capable of with aftermarket parts installed....

.................................................. .............

You keep on posting crap about me indirectly so i can post about you indirectly and will continue to do so if you do!............

I don`t expect anyone to take or believe my advice but i do expect members to be polite and not this back handed clicky members thingy........

My shoulders are too wide to have chips on them but it seems that yours are not, maybe the reason you have to have the last word but you will be unsuccessful unless it is stopped!

stribo
Saturday 5th April 2014, 19:28
Wow, is this still going, I think Mark's question has been answered. :D

Santa
Saturday 5th April 2014, 21:18
Not sure what's going on here but I don't see it being relevant to the original post.

As Stribo has said, the original post seems to have been answered.

Not sure what the issue is here but if its specific I'd advise you use the contact us link.

I've just done quite a lot of editing of posts on this thread to try and retain some value. (Differences in how spark plugs are perceived, I felt it worthy of keeping). Difference of opinion is healthy and allowed, personal attacks are not! Posts I have edited are highlighted at the bottom of the individual posts including the reason why they were edited.