PDA

View Full Version : Which oil and coolant

lighterfuel
Sunday 6th November 2005, 18:34
Hi all

Which Engine oil and Coolant is best used in my 850 T5 N plate. As when i go around corners they both light up on the dash.

Thanks All

Andrew
Sunday 6th November 2005, 18:40
Hi all

Which Engine oil and Coolant is best used in my 850 T5 N plate. As when i go around corners they both light up on the dash.

Thanks All

Sounds like your running low on both - you should deffinatly fill up

Oil - any good fully synth oil - everyone has their own preferences but a good 5w40 or 10w40 seems to be the ones most people go for .... suggest a search for similar threads and you'll see peoples various recommendations.

Coolant - pretty much any is good enough - if you dilute it be sure to do so with distilled water - tap water is no good.

spesh
Sunday 6th November 2005, 19:07
I would advise strongly that you put some oil in the car, if the light is coming on it means low oil pressure, which could knacker your engine if left to long, I run mine on 10w 40 semi syn and I use volvo coolant, only cause it is a nice colour. Also put some water in it, you dont want the head gasket going!!!!!!!!!

audimadmike
Sunday 6th November 2005, 19:17
Oil as others mentioned.

Coolant, I use the red stuff because it is kinder to the metal than blue/green and lasts for 5 years instead of 2, its only about 10% more expensive so works out cheaper in the long run. Cools more efficiently too, so they say!

Mike

BlackBeast
Sunday 6th November 2005, 20:16
if you dilute it be sure to do so with distilled water - tap water is no good.

Why is tap water no good?

lighterfuel
Sunday 6th November 2005, 20:19
Many thanks for the replies. I shall get some tomorrow, Do you think this is why when she ticks over i can hear a loud tapping noise?, simply too low on oil?

Cheers

ceefaz
Sunday 6th November 2005, 20:20

It's got all the calcium in it. Can make the inwards of the cooling system like an "furred-up" kettle.

Andrew
Sunday 6th November 2005, 20:23

Furr up your radiator and other bits plus it has chemicals in it.

Andrew
Sunday 6th November 2005, 20:25
Many thanks for the replies. I shall get some tomorrow, Do you think this is why when she ticks over i can hear a loud tapping noise?, simply too low on oil?

Cheers

Assuming it's an estate the tapping could be the hydraulic tappets for the self levelling system.

lighterfuel
Sunday 6th November 2005, 21:38
Hi Andrew

No, its a saloon. I had a low oil thing with a previous car and had the same sound. When i filled with oil, the tapping sound went away. I presume this is much the same thing? Way too low on engine oil which is not fully covering components?

Al115
Sunday 6th November 2005, 21:47
Assuming it's an estate the tapping could be the hydraulic tappets for the self levelling system.

What?!? :jaw:

Self-levelling isn't connected to ANYTHING!

Al115
Sunday 6th November 2005, 21:48
Also you're advised (by Volvo, admittedly) to use only Volvo coolant as not all are suitable for aluminium blocks.

S60D5
Sunday 6th November 2005, 21:55
Hi Andrew

No, its a saloon. I had a low oil thing with a previous car and had the same sound. When i filled with oil, the tapping sound went away. I presume this is much the same thing? Way too low on engine oil which is not fully covering components?

Go and fill it up right now!!! It'll seize if you don't and you'll have a £1000-£2000 repair bill. You should never let the oil get as low as for it to flash the oil warning light. Don't you ever check the oil??

twotrees
Monday 7th November 2005, 01:13
Hi all

Thanks All

be where that you can not mix coolants.or by the colour

Andrew
Monday 7th November 2005, 09:30
I thought they where connected to a hydraulics system in the engine bay ??? If not then I'm talking out my ass again.... :troutslap

:D

Al115
Monday 7th November 2005, 09:32
I thought they where connected to a hydraulics system in the engine bay ??? If not then I'm talking out my ass again.... :troutslap

:D

Erm... the latter :anmflower

Andrew
Monday 7th November 2005, 09:42
Erm... the latter :anmflower

Hmm
goes off to study Haynes (like it will make him any wiser)...

lighterfuel
Monday 7th November 2005, 22:01
Good evening Gentlemen

The outcome was, my engine had fallen out and the tapping noise was road chips pinging off the underneath of my bonnet.

On a lighter note, LOL, the oil was too low and heres the dodgy bit. I had a VOLVO service (annual) less than 4 weeks ago and HEY, should the oil not have been topped up?...I think it should have. So i went back to VOLVO and OOps was the reply and i got a top up FREE of charge. now she runs back to her old self. SWEET as a NUT! (like me in a way!!!)

Many thanks Chaps

BlackBeast
Monday 7th November 2005, 22:36
I wonder if you've done any damage to the crank or the turbo!?!

mikej
Monday 7th November 2005, 23:30
oops :icon_soap i would have left with more than a free top up lol i would have played balls who knows what damage it may have caused

nuffer
Tuesday 8th November 2005, 02:35
Oil as others mentioned.

Coolant, I use the red stuff because it is kinder to the metal than blue/green and lasts for 5 years instead of 2, its only about 10% more expensive so works out cheaper in the long run. Cools more efficiently too, so they say!

Mikewrong im afraid ,the only advantage of the red coolant is its enviromently kinder, its actually inferior in heat transfer properties as for being "kinder" to metal, someones been feeding you some bull££££ im sorry to say

audimadmike
Wednesday 9th November 2005, 09:15
wrong im afraid ,the only advantage of the red coolant is its enviromently kinder, its actually inferior in heat transfer properties as for being "kinder" to metal, someones been feeding you some bull££££ im sorry to say

Audi.
Autoexpress (last weeks issue)
Any car spares shop.
S2forum

Mike