PDA

View Full Version : Sagging rear bumper

Ade
Thursday 27th March 2014, 09:01
At one side my 855's bumper is a bit loose, with about half an inch of play..... Sure my previous car was like this too.
Is there a typical problem this is likely to be? Broken mount on the car or bumper?

nottsgreent5
Thursday 27th March 2014, 13:41
The rear brackets rust through think its a bumper off job to sort out

Ade
Friday 28th March 2014, 13:06
Bugger, was hoping that it was maybe something not involving rust!

artfulflounder
Friday 28th March 2014, 21:16
Got this on the 940.

looks like where the rear bumper dampers bolt to reinforcing plate in bumper has rotted through.
For the 940 well over £100 for the plate.

Tomcat
Friday 28th March 2014, 23:52
Usually its just the bracket that rots on the 850's they're quite cheap to replace. Also check that it's riveted to the wheel arch liner, that can cause it to droop quite a bit.

Saaamon
Sunday 6th April 2014, 17:14
You can get the brackets from Volvo about 30£.

sundog
Sunday 6th April 2014, 18:26
is there anyway to get the bumper casing off without taking the 2 big vertical bolts out, mine are very tight and i don't want them to snap at the head and have the bumper completely stuck? if i can get the plastic skin off i could heat up the captive nuts?

nobananas
Tuesday 8th April 2014, 22:16
is there anyway to get the bumper casing off without taking the 2 big vertical bolts out, mine are very tight and i don't want them to snap at the head and have the bumper completely stuck? if i can get the plastic skin off i could heat up the captive nuts?

Don't think so. I did mine on my R a couple of weeks ago, expected the worse but luckily both the long bolts came out. My brackets were absolutely rotten, you may be lucky and they may be so rotten you can rock the bumper till the brackets break up.