PDA

View Full Version : Tools?

spacca
Monday 24th March 2014, 21:33
I really need a proper set of tools for the P2.
I'm fed up of my halfrauds stuff not fitting random nuts and bolts.
Any advice would be nice.

graemewelch
Monday 24th March 2014, 21:37
15mm and 18mm are common on the volvo. a good set of torques is worth having to

spacca
Monday 24th March 2014, 21:38
What do you mean by torques

graemewelch
Monday 24th March 2014, 21:46
What do you mean by torques

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=torque+socket+male&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=cqcwU4LhKcSKhQe5qoCgBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=626#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=0rZdaxpfe8DvQM%253A%3BtnmHsLYEylhMlM%3Bhttp% 253A%252F%252Fwww.toolbuddy.co.uk%252Fekmps%252Fsh ops%252Ftoolbuddy%252Fimages%252Ffranklin-torx-male-star-socket-3-8-drive-choose-size-t10-t55-527-p.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.toolbuddy.co.uk%252 Ffranklin-torx-male-star-socket-38-drive-choose-size-t10---t55-527-p.asp%3B266%3B282

JUDGENINJA
Monday 24th March 2014, 21:49
Nowt wrong with the Halfords professional range. Only thing I have ever broken was 100mm socket extension.

The only proper tool I want is a proper jack(or 2).

spacca
Monday 24th March 2014, 21:53
Might give it a try.
Struggling to get heat shield off by the Cat.
Just can't get to the top bolt of Cat because heat shield is in the way.

JamesT5
Monday 24th March 2014, 21:55
A set of Turbo sockets wouldn't go a miss either, the ruddy bolts have nasty habit of rusting in and then the heads round off. I'm going to invest in a good set of Turbo sockets as soon as I can.

JamesT5
Monday 24th March 2014, 21:56
15mm and 18mm are common on the volvo. a good set of torques is worth having to

I had noticed this myself, why they don't just use a 17 or 14 I don't know.

graemewelch
Monday 24th March 2014, 21:58
A set of Turbo sockets wouldn't go a miss either, the ruddy bolts have nasty habit of rusting in and then the heads round off. I'm going to invest in a good set of Turbo sockets as soon as I can.

in that situation you should be using heat and not brut force or socket that destroy the bolts

JamesT5
Monday 24th March 2014, 22:01
Turbo sockets are very popular at Uncle Sam's place and to be honest, sometimes you'll get a scenario where you can't use heat i.e. next to a flammable source. Plus, if the bolt is that rusted it should be replaced anyway so destroying it won't matter.

spacca
Monday 24th March 2014, 22:04
Back to halfords then for a decent set of sockets.
I've seen a socket that adjusts itself to the nut or did I imagine it?

graemewelch
Monday 24th March 2014, 22:07
Turbo sockets are very popular at Uncle Sam's place and to be honest, sometimes you'll get a scenario where you can't use heat i.e. next to a flammable source. Plus, if the bolt is that rusted it should be replaced anyway so destroying it won't matter.

if a bolt rounds off then yes i replace it everytime but they are few and far between. the only place youll get stuburn bolts that are correded are on the exhaust or suspension and chassis. heat prevents rounded bolts and snapped bolts and studs. never force a bolt that is tight. it only leads to more issues. hex sockets only. multi spline sockets are asking for trouble and only use a socket thats a snug fit. if its not go down a size or use a imperial socket. ive got both metric and impearl in hex

850 T5s
Monday 24th March 2014, 22:07
find your local snapon dealer and spend a small fortune !

graemewelch
Monday 24th March 2014, 22:09
Back to halfords then for a decent set of sockets.
I've seen a socket that adjusts itself to the nut or did I imagine it?

machinemart is good value and come with lifetime warranty. ive had my sockets for around 13 yrs now and only broke one. well my mate did and that was with a power bar

find your local snapon dealer and spend a small fortune !

over rated crap. to expensive and theres better out there for less

850 T5s
Monday 24th March 2014, 22:14
ive been buying snapon tools for 26 years never had any issues really

spacca
Monday 24th March 2014, 22:16
Considered snap on but too spenive.
Will look at machinemart and halfords for alternatives.
Thanks for tips and advice.

graemewelch
Monday 24th March 2014, 22:23
ive been buying snapon tools for 26 years never had any issues really

ve never bothered with there sockets but had a few snap on ratchets and all have broke.

T5RatherAmusin
Monday 24th March 2014, 22:35
can never have too many tools!
youll prob find yourself getting various sets of sockets,driver,bars etc wratchet spanners are the danglies!
i find silverline tools good if you on a budget too.

stribo
Monday 24th March 2014, 23:00
Ratchet spanners are ideal for the heat shield.

JUDGENINJA
Monday 24th March 2014, 23:08
Got me excited about tools... Just bought myself a set of deep step spanners for the Golf suspension...

stribo
Monday 24th March 2014, 23:16
Got me excited about tools... Just bought myself a set of deep step spanners for the Golf suspension...

Get JamesT5 round with his angle grinder, he'll be able to cut it off for you. ;)

graemewelch
Monday 24th March 2014, 23:18
Get JamesT5 round with his angle grinder, he'll be able to cut it off for you. ;)

The bolt or the end of the manifold

Sorry james just having a laugh at expence

JUDGENINJA
Monday 24th March 2014, 23:21
I'm good enough at bodging things up for myself ...thank you..!!

V70 Graham
Tuesday 25th March 2014, 16:15
+1 for the Halfrauds Professional range, they are still on offer too iirc.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 25th March 2014, 18:18
Most recently the best buy for me was 1/4 inch drive extension bars for all the fiddly stuff down the back of the block - jubilee clips and the like.

I try to use solid hex sockets where possible.

Never underestimate a good 3/8ths set neither.

JamesT5
Tuesday 25th March 2014, 20:10
Aldi do a good set of tools, seriously! The only issue is their range and frequency are little limited.

graemewelch
Tuesday 25th March 2014, 20:16
Aldi do a good set of tools, seriously! The only issue is their range and frequency are little limited.

:redface::uglyhamme

JamesT5
Tuesday 25th March 2014, 20:29
:redface::uglyhamme

I've had some good stuff form Aldi!

stribo
Tuesday 25th March 2014, 21:11
I've had some good stuff form Aldi!

Including the angle grinder? ;)

JamesT5
Tuesday 25th March 2014, 21:37

:hilarious :hihi:

JamesT5
Tuesday 25th March 2014, 21:38
Including the angle grinder? ;)

No, that was a 20 quid jobby from Homebase... :D

JamesT5
Tuesday 25th March 2014, 21:39
The bolt or the end of the manifold

Sorry james just having a laugh at expence

I can actually see the funny side sometimes.

soothingduck
Tuesday 25th March 2014, 22:28

lol

spacca
Wednesday 26th March 2014, 23:47
Well I took some advice from you lot and got myself a 200 piece advanced toolset from halfords.
And you know what, I look forward to using it.
Half price at the moment, so paid 150 quid which was nice.

silverhorse
Thursday 27th March 2014, 03:27
Well I took some advice from you lot and got myself a 200 piece advanced toolset from halfords.
And you know what, I look forward to using it.
Half price at the moment, so paid 150 quid which was nice.

Nice one. You won't be disappointed. I have had a Halfords socket set from when I started spannering 20 years ago. Been whacked with rubber mallet and generally abused. Still going strong

Owengsi
Sunday 30th March 2014, 10:16
When I was on the tools, all I had was snap-on and blue point. If you're using them to make a living from, then their no quibble lifetime warranty is worth it's weight in gold.

When I gave up on the spanners, I used halfords professional (with same lifetime warranty) and also get trade in Halfords, which means if I buy THEIR range of tools, it costs next to nothing.

I actually have a better tool set than I do at work (in the military) which is scary lol

spacca
Sunday 30th March 2014, 18:48
When I was on the tools, all I had was snap-on and blue point. If you're using them to make a living from, then their no quibble lifetime warranty is worth it's weight in gold.

When I gave up on the spanners, I used halfords professional (with same lifetime warranty) and also get trade in Halfords, which means if I buy THEIR range of tools, it costs next to nothing.

I actually have a better tool set than I do at work (in the military) which is scarylol
best tools I ever bought.
I'm ex military by the way.
23 years man and boy.

LeeT5
Sunday 30th March 2014, 20:34
best tools I ever bought.
I'm ex military by the way.
23 years man and boy.

Ditto.

Owengsi
Sunday 30th March 2014, 20:50
Honestly, sometime's we're missing a particular tool in the issue centre and I'm stood there thinking "I've just the tool for this in my boot" (being a vauxhall owner too, I got into the habit early on of carrying a few tool kits around) - but obviously we're not allowed to use them as they're not authorised etc.

Snap on rock, but the Halfords professional sets are pretty good gear for the home mechanic (I did keep a couple of snap on ratchets out of all my old tools though ;) )