PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor question

silverhorse
Friday 21st March 2014, 02:05
Am thinking of getting one of these but I see that some are 'oil free'. So I assume some are not. What does it mean and for DIY use will I be OK? (I know what oil free means!)

M-R-P
Friday 21st March 2014, 05:59
They have a piston, crank and sump like a 2stroke engine, some have oil in the sump, some don't.

Harvey
Friday 21st March 2014, 07:26
Oil free compressors have a lower CFM ( lower air delivery by volume ) not pressure.
They are fine if you don't intend to use it 8 hours a day.
What are you going to use it for ? As that will make a big difference what type of machine you should get.

silverhorse
Friday 21st March 2014, 08:55
What are you going to use it for ? As that will make a big difference what type of machine you should get.

Just a few air tools and blowing up tyres. Maybe a bit of paint spraying. Nothing major and not going to be on for hours at a time. I was thinking of one of those Tiger Airmaster ones (50 litre tank) from Machine Mart. They wold be OK for the DIYer wouldn't they?

Just noticed in M. Mart catalogue an air compressor oiler. Would I need to oil tools if it is oil free?

M-R-P
Friday 21st March 2014, 08:58
The dryer/oiler is a good idea if you're using the tools for extended periods and would be used with both types of compressor. Alternatively, a squirt of WD40 in the inlet of the tool prior to use would suffice.

graemewelch
Friday 21st March 2014, 12:38
if your planning on using airtools youll need some thing with a higher cfm that the tools. i doubt a 50 ltr will be upto most airtools