PDA

View Full Version : rear brakes sticking.

graemewelch
Thursday 20th March 2014, 19:28
drivers side wheel is red hot. im guessing its the caliper sticking but will inverstagate tomora sometime. anyone else had a sticky rear caliper

T5RatherAmusin
Thursday 20th March 2014, 19:39
check the pins, pads and piston...

t5 pete
Thursday 20th March 2014, 19:52
Just done donnas v40 thought that was stuck pot or slider but turned out to be hand brake unit thats external had seized

stribo
Thursday 20th March 2014, 19:58
Just done donnas v40 thought that was stuck pot or slider but turned out to be hand brake unit thats external had seized

Always worth checking the handbrake Graeme, if the shoes have delaminated the lining could be wedged against the inside of the disc.

graemewelch
Thursday 20th March 2014, 20:03
Always worth checking the handbrake Graeme, if the shoes have delaminated the lining could be wedged against the inside of the disc.

Theyd better not of. Not when done less than 10k

graemewelch
Thursday 20th March 2014, 20:05
check the pins, pads and piston...

If its the caliper ill replace both rears.

stribo
Thursday 20th March 2014, 20:07
If its the caliper ill replace both rears.

Is there not a service/seal kit available for the calipers, they probably only have a small lip on the pistons that could be sorted with some emery paper.

t5 pete
Thursday 20th March 2014, 20:18
Is there not a service/seal kit available for the calipers, they probably only have a small lip on the pistons that could be sorted with some emery paper.

I like your thinking most people these days just don't bother and go out and buy new when a item can be perfectly repaired.
you sir have gone up in my estimation lol

graemewelch
Thursday 20th March 2014, 20:36
20 quid for a seal kit. Arnt the pistons a complete pain to get back in once removed. Drivelink do new calipers for peanuts

t5 pete
Thursday 20th March 2014, 20:40
Pistons can be a little fiddly to put back in with new seals but use some brake fluid on the rubbers and the slide a little better

stribo
Thursday 20th March 2014, 20:44
I like your thinking most people these days just don't bother and go out and buy new when a item can be perfectly repaired.
you sir have gone up in my estimation lol

How low was I in your estimations before? ;)

Harvey
Thursday 20th March 2014, 20:57
Anyone used these ?.

http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org.uk/contents/en-uk/d3730.html

graemewelch
Thursday 20th March 2014, 20:58
Pistons can be a little fiddly to put back in with new seals but use some brake fluid on the rubbers and the slide a little better

ill take a look at them tomora. just hoping it hasnt warped the disc.

graemewelch
Thursday 20th March 2014, 20:59
Anyone used these ?.

http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org.uk/contents/en-uk/d3730.html

not at those prices lol. europarts are £75 and i know drive link will be even cheaper

Jimmie
Thursday 20th March 2014, 21:20
Graeme go into your local motor factor and get the exchange price for the calipers.
You should set up an account with them if possible.

graemewelch
Thursday 20th March 2014, 21:24
Graeme go into your local motor factor and get the exchange price for the calipers.
You should set up an account with them if possible.

i plan to check the prices at drive link. they are normaly very cheap and good quality.

MoleT-5R
Friday 21st March 2014, 07:59
Interesting, Cheap and Quality do not normally go together, so I'll be watching this closely :shifty:

rikcougar
Friday 21st March 2014, 08:02
To answer your original question, yes, mine has a sticking drivers side caliper although not as bad as yours by the sound of it

Going in to the menders next week before it gets any worse

graemewelch
Friday 21st March 2014, 12:36
Interesting, Cheap and Quality do not normally go together, so I'll be watching this closely :shifty:

beleve me i wont put low quality parts on my car. by cheap i mean im cutting out the middle man and going to the place wear the calipers are reconditioned and come with warranty. i wont be fitting any cheap branded calipers. i spend carfully and not stupidly

JamesT5
Friday 21st March 2014, 13:24
drivers side wheel is red hot. im guessing its the caliper sticking but will inverstagate tomora sometime. anyone else had a sticky rear caliper

I've had a sticking front caliper if you recall, some time ago. If your brake rota is an orange colour on the edge even when cold then it can indicate the disc has overheated. The disc is likely warped as well because that happened to my front one.

Might be worth taking the caliper off and cleaning the rust off the pitons and the tunnels they run through but in the end, I just replaced all of my calipers for new ones because where one is going the others probably aren't far behind.

graemewelch
Friday 21st March 2014, 14:10
I've had a sticking front caliper if you recall, some time ago. If your brake rota is an orange colour on the edge even when cold then it can indicate the disc has overheated. The disc is likely warped as well because that happened to my front one.

Might be worth taking the caliper off and cleaning the rust off the pitons and the tunnels they run through but in the end, I just replaced all of my calipers for new ones because where one is going the others probably aren't far behind.

id be worried if calipers was that bad that it had cooked the rear discs and i hadnt noticed. i cant be bother messing about cleaning the guides and the pistons. ill do the job right and and either replace the pair or rebuild them. i dont like to do half a job. it only comes back to bite you in the end.

JamesT5
Friday 21st March 2014, 15:56
id be worried if calipers was that bad that it had cooked the rear discs and i hadnt noticed. i cant be bother messing about cleaning the guides and the pistons. ill do the job right and and either replace the pair or rebuild them. i dont like to do half a job. it only comes back to bite you in the end.

Exactly why I replaced all of mine and why I'm busy replacing stuff now before it wears completely.

a lex
Saturday 22nd March 2014, 16:10
I had a sticking rear calliper on my previous V70 D5.

A very common problem according to my indy.

It wasnt horrendously expensive to sort, but dont leave it too long as if it eventually jams on (like mine did) it can leave you in a right pickle.

graemewelch
Saturday 22nd March 2014, 21:00
I think it was just was sticking cause Its been standing for a while

graemewelch
Saturday 22nd March 2014, 21:06
I think it was just was sticking cause Its been standing for a while.

LeeT5
Monday 24th March 2014, 02:08
Two main reason calipers seize is because of moisture/water contamination in the brake fluid causing the piston walls to corrode if left stood for a while and the other is the caliper seals perish and stop performing as they are designed to.
Do the job properly, replace the caliper and renew the brake fluid, all of it!

graemewelch
Monday 24th March 2014, 13:03
Two main reason calipers seize is because of moisture/water contamination in the brake fluid causing the piston walls to corrode if left stood for a while and the other is the caliper seals perish and stop performing as they are designed to.
Do the job properly, replace the caliper and renew the brake fluid, all of it!

Thats been the plan from day one lee. New calipers and the fluid is three years old so is probobly due a flush