PDA

View Full Version : 850 Track/tie rods and drop link replacement - anything I need to know

Owengsi
Thursday 20th March 2014, 00:39
Changing the inners, outers and the drop links tomorrow (will try and take pics and attempt a how to if I remember) - but without having a haynes handy for reference, is there anything pertinent to the Volvo's that I might need to know, or is it all straight forward?

abdul
Thursday 20th March 2014, 00:50
Should be straight forward looking forward to pics as I want to do mine where did u get the parts from

Owengsi
Thursday 20th March 2014, 06:30
Euro car parts.

JamesT5
Thursday 20th March 2014, 07:35
Just be aware that fitting new track rod ends will knock your tracking and wheel alignment out. You can count the turns on the locking nut and old track rod end when you undo them and then use the same amount of turns when installing the new ones, but this will only give you a guide. I'd recommend a wheel alignment at a garage as soon as practical afterwards.

Other than that, not too hard a job I don't imagine.

Owengsi
Thursday 20th March 2014, 18:19
Just be aware that fitting new track rod ends will knock your tracking and wheel alignment out. You can count the turns on the locking nut and old track rod end when you undo them and then use the same amount of turns when installing the new ones, but this will only give you a guide. I'd recommend a wheel alignment at a garage as soon as practical afterwards.

Other than that, not too hard a job I don't imagine.

The tracking was goosed anyway, and one of the rods seized hence the change. All done, relatively straight forward, access to the drivers side inner rod was the biggest obstacle. I tracked it by eye myself, and still took it for a garage to look at. I was bang on one side and 0.5 out on the other, so all in all, not too shabby. Handles like a new car now :) shame I'll be selling her soon.

abdul
Friday 21st March 2014, 00:00
Did u use some sort of tool for the inner track rod end