PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak!

BigM
Saturday 5th November 2005, 18:53
I have just completed a full service on my s60 T5 (02 reg if that helps), i.e. cam belt, cam belt tensioner, aux drive belt, all filters, new oil, spark plugs.
The problem is that i cannot stop the oil filter from leaking!

It came off no problem, i replaced the cannister filter and 'O' seal but cannot stop it from leaking. There are two grooves below the thread on the filter holder and it looks like the oil seal could go in either of them.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards, Mike

Andrew
Saturday 5th November 2005, 19:07
Always rub a bit of the old oil around the lip of the new filter... helps seal it.

SaffronC70
Saturday 5th November 2005, 19:41
new oil - old oil will make it sease.

Have you tightened it to 25Nm ?! That's what it says, if I remember correctly, on the housing itself.

Chris

Andrew
Saturday 5th November 2005, 19:44
new oil - old oil will make it sease.

Have you tightened it to 25Nm ?! That's what it says, if I remember correctly, on the housing itself.

Chris

Now I think back to the last time I changed the oil you are indeed correct new oil! ooopsss.

SaffronC70
Saturday 5th November 2005, 19:48
lol - I think I've used old oil everytime, habit dies hard, but I mean well, lol.

I've yet to do a filter change on mine, as I've not managed to get the housing off !

BigM, have you got the filter housing tool ?

I've got a new housing on standby !

Chris

siamblue
Saturday 5th November 2005, 20:54
Now I think back to the last time I changed the oil you are indeed correct new oil! ooopsss.

Off topic but I smear a bit of oil on the metal parts, when i take the intake hoses off as this helps to seal it,

BigM
Sunday 6th November 2005, 07:58
Going to have another go this morning, thanks for the advice i will let you know how i get on. It was dark when i got finished last night so today might shed a bit of light on the subject.

Regards, Mike

BigM
Sunday 6th November 2005, 11:15
Thanks guys, ive sorted it. The 'O' seal was in the wrong position DOH!

Well it was late and getting dark and raining..........