PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help required possible immobiliser problem.

stribo
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:04
I got the car back together today, went to start it up, and nothing. :wallbash: The dash lights up, and when I turn the key to position 3 I can hear a relay clicking under the bonnet, but the fuel pump isn't priming, and the starter isn't operating.
For those that don't know, it's a C70 T5 GT pre ME7.

soothingduck
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:09
I got the car back together today, went to start it up, and nothing. :wallbash: The dash lights up, and when I turn the key to position 3 I can hear a relay clicking under the bonnet, but the fuel pump isn't priming, and the starter isn't operating.
For those that don't know, it's a C70 T5 GT pre ME7.

Check the earth straps and battery connections, sounds like a bad earth to me.

960kg
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:10
I would charge your battery up first!

I get this now and again as i don`t use the car much.....i get all the lights up and a click click click...charge the battery and all ok.

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:10
You've done the obvious.. Lock the car and then reopen it?

stribo
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:13
Check the earth straps and battery connections, sounds like a bad earth to me.

Checked.

I would charge your battery up first!

I get this now and again as i don`t use the car much.....i get all the lights up and a click click click...charge the battery and all ok.
Done, even tried jumping it off another car as I thought the battery was low to start with.

You've done the obvious.. Lock the car and then reopen it?
Yep, many times lol.

soothingduck
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:14
Is it manual? if so check the starters not jammed by putting the car in 2nd and rock it back and forth.

stribo
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:15
Is it manual?

Yes.

soothingduck
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:16
Sometime's hitting the starter with a hammer can free it.

stribo
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:17
Is it manual? if so check the starters not jammed by putting the car in 2nd and rock it back and forth.
Done.

stribo
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:17
Sometime's hitting the starter with a hammer can free it.

Done that too, I'm sure the immobilisers at fault, as the fuel pumps's not primimg.

soothingduck
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:19
Try locking the car with the key then unlock it with the fob

hybriduno
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:24
if you get stuck I can whack a non imob setup on a 4.4 ecu!

Sperm1980
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:25
Not having experience with these cars, check with a multimeter everything thats nots working and trace back from there.

Does sound like immobiliser!

stribo
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:26
Try locking the car with the key then unlock it with the fob

Just tried it, nothing.

soothingduck
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:28
Sorry mate i'm out
Good luck

stribo
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:31
if you get stuck I can whack a non imob setup on a 4.4 ecu!
Thanks mate, but I need the car for work this week.

Harvey
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:33
Tried a spare key.

stribo
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:35
Tried a spare key.

I only have one key. :(

hybriduno
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:45
how far are you from Pe203jj!

stribo
Saturday 15th March 2014, 17:55
162 miles.

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 15th March 2014, 18:18
Have you tried new batteries?

RAC or AA?

stribo
Saturday 15th March 2014, 18:23
Have you tried new batteries?

RAC or AA?

New batteries? as in the key fob, that works fine, I have RAC cover, but not sure they'll be able to cure the problem.

Jamest5r
Saturday 15th March 2014, 18:24
So what have you actually changed to make you think it's the immobiliser

AAnickmac
Saturday 15th March 2014, 18:32
if you have a multi meter, stick it on volts and go from neg post of battery with one lead and engine with the other lead. get some one to try start it and see what readings you get on the meter. it should be as near as zero as poss. if you get a reading then you have a bad earth. try it on the positive side next. pos post of battery to starter main post and see what you get there. again it should be as near to zero as possible. across both circuits you should not see more than 0.5 volts.
if you get a reading on either of these circuits (volt drop/loss) you need to work your way through checking all the conections and/or earth straps/points.
hope this helps, also what relay is it that is clicking? starter relay?

960kg
Saturday 15th March 2014, 18:42
You won`t get a click click click if it`s the immob. as it will not connect.

It must be the Fuel Pump Relay then if not hearing the pump prime!!

If you haven`t a spare take it out and clean the contact spades.

stribo
Saturday 15th March 2014, 19:16
You won`t get a click click click if it`s the immob. as it will not connect.

It must be the Fuel Pump Relay then if not hearing the pump prime!!

If you haven`t a spare take it out and clean the contact spades.

Surely the starter would still operate even if the fuel pump relay had stopped working.

theflyingbrick
Saturday 15th March 2014, 19:25
Surely the starter would still operate even if the fuel pump relay had stopped working.

yes it would..................but it sounds like the solenoid on the starter has packed up and im not sure how to fix it,i normally put a new starter on if that's the case,which again wont help you for commuting this week :(

V70 Graham
Saturday 15th March 2014, 19:29
I had exactly the same problem 18 Months ago ME7 though.

stribo
Saturday 15th March 2014, 19:38
So what have you actually changed to make you think it's the immobiliser

I've changed the radiator and intercooler, the reason I think it's the immobiliser is because the fuel pump's not priming, and the starter's not operating, even though the battery has a full charge.

yes it would..................but it sounds like the solenoid on the starter has packed up and im not sure how to fix it,i normally put a new starter on if that's the case,which again wont help you for commuting this week :(

But the starter solenoid wouldn't affect the fuel pump, and I find it hard to believe they've both packed up at the same time, although I'm not ruling it out entirely.

stribo
Saturday 15th March 2014, 19:39
I had exactly the same problem 18 Months ago ME7 though.

Hopefully it's not the ECU, still think it's the immobiliser, and reading on V.O.C. sounds like it could be the transponder aerial around the ignition switch.

Jamest5r
Saturday 15th March 2014, 19:42
Get a piece of wire, put one end in the spade on the starter then touch the + on the battery see if it turns over

V70 Graham
Saturday 15th March 2014, 19:52
Hopefully it's not the ECU, still think it's the immobiliser, and reading on V.O.C. sounds like it could be the transponder aerial around the ignition switch.

Can you not try the transponder from the cabbie ?

graemewelch
Saturday 15th March 2014, 21:10
bust it and sort the cabbie

sorry mate only joking hope you get it sorted

stribo
Saturday 15th March 2014, 21:18
Can you not try the transponder from the cabbie ?

I don't know if they're interchangeable, as the cabbie is ME7.

V70 Graham
Saturday 15th March 2014, 21:29
I don't know if they're interchangeable, as the cabbie is ME7.

I think Simon (deathrider) knows a fair bit about transponders iirc, I'm sure he gave me a few pointers.

MIKESC70T5
Saturday 15th March 2014, 21:40
[QUOTE=stribo;695203]I've changed the radiator and intercooler, the reason I think it's the immobiliser is because the fuel pump's not priming, and the starter's not operating, even though the battery has a full charge.

Might be pissing up the wrong tree, but on my old T5R when I fitted samco coolant hoses the car wouldn't turn over afterwards. Worked out when changing the top hose, I dislodged the relay under the slam panel and it broke the wires. Fixed the wires back together, they are very fragile and the car started straight away. You mention changing the rad so possible you moved the hoses and caused the problem I had.

stribo
Saturday 15th March 2014, 21:57
[QUOTE=stribo;695203]I've changed the radiator and intercooler, the reason I think it's the immobiliser is because the fuel pump's not priming, and the starter's not operating, even though the battery has a full charge.

Might be pissing up the wrong tree, but on my old T5R when I fitted samco coolant hoses the car wouldn't turn over afterwards. Worked out when changing the top hose, I dislodged the relay under the slam panel and it broke the wires. Fixed the wires back together, they are very fragile and the car started straight away. You mention changing the rad so possible you moved the hoses and caused the problem I had.

I'll check them tomorrow Mike, thanks.

siamblue
Saturday 15th March 2014, 22:58
I have a spare starter and transponder ring here you can have,but i can only get it too Guildford is that any good for you?
as has been said,the relay on the slam panel,the wires can corrode on them.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 15th March 2014, 23:19
Think that the engine should still turn over as the immobiliser doesn't control the starter circuit.

V70 Graham
Saturday 15th March 2014, 23:29
Think that the engine should still turn over as the immobiliser doesn't control the starter circuit.

You are of course right Dave, I read the first post wrongly, thinking it was turning over but not starting.

Hopefully something simple Steve, hope you get it sorted tomorrow.

Harvey
Saturday 15th March 2014, 23:39
Will the fuel pump will only run if the rail pressure is low ?.try letting some pressure out at the test port.

LeeT5
Sunday 16th March 2014, 01:07

I don't think your pissing up the wrong tree at all. He's changed the rad and intercooler so the relays that attach under the slam panel will all have been moved. If my memory serves me correct, the Starter motor relay is under there and the Main relay. If the main relay has a bad/broken connection then the fuel pump won't prime!!

LeeT5
Sunday 16th March 2014, 01:11
New batteries? as in the key fob, that works fine, I have RAC cover, but not sure they'll be able to cure the problem.

AA and RAC have full access to wiring diagrams and will easily be able to fix this fault, providing you come clean with what it is you've done. Many ppl lie or don't tell the whole truth and leave us second guessing or looking in the wrong place when they call us out, which doesn't do them any favours and can lead to your car being recovered to a garage. Being honest goes along way in getting the problem fixed. You can kick yourself afterwards if you want, at least your car will be working!

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 16th March 2014, 01:26
AA and RAC have full access to wiring diagrams and will easily be able to fix this fault, providing you come clean with what it is you've done. Many ppl lie or don't tell the whole truth and leave us second guessing or looking in the wrong place when they call us out, which doesn't do them any favours and can lead to your car being recovered to a garage. Being honest goes along way in getting the problem fixed. You can kick yourself afterwards if you want, at least your car will be working!

I disagree, as I called the AA out when my old t5r wouldn't start, they tried new d/cap and rotor arm first then gave up lol. While they were arranging to get the car picked up to take to a garage, I came on this very forum and a member who hasn't been on here for years suggested checking the relays. The AA man was rather embarrassed lol. Maybe things have changed in recent years.

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 16th March 2014, 01:30
I don't think your pissing up the wrong tree at all. He's changed the rad and intercooler so the relays that attach under the slam panel will all have been moved. If my memory serves me correct, the Starter motor relay is under there and the Main relay. If the main relay has a bad/broken connection then the fuel pump won't prime!!

If my suggestion fixes his problem, then Stribo, I'm expecting a free square burger at the next Vine meet lol.

stribo
Sunday 16th March 2014, 05:05
If my suggestion fixes his problem, then Stribo, I'm expecting a free square burger at the next Vine meet lol.

If your suggestion fixes the problem Mike, I'll happily buy you a square burger. :D

AAnickmac
Sunday 16th March 2014, 07:45
Totally agree with this. Being honest at a breakdown is the best thing. I have been out to breakdowns where they tell you a load of lies because they are embarrassed to own up to what they have done. I just want to fix the car, not bothered what they done wrong, but need to know what they have touched.

stribo
Sunday 16th March 2014, 07:55
If I do have to call them out, I'll be totally honest with what I've done, just want the thing running.

munster732
Sunday 16th March 2014, 07:57

Square burger....square....burger? Glad I don't go down south very often, that's just wrong in so many ways!

stribo
Sunday 16th March 2014, 08:12
Square burger....square....burger? Glad I don't go down south very often, that's just wrong in so many ways!

Nothing wrong with a square burger mate, it's probably bigger than you. ;)

munster732
Sunday 16th March 2014, 08:16
Nothing wrong with a square burger mate, it's probably bigger than you. ;)

I would give some sort of witty retort, but I've got to get ready for a lovely drive out in my gay golden performance volvo. How about you ;-)

stribo
Sunday 16th March 2014, 08:18
I would give some sort of witty retort, but I've got to get ready for a lovely drive out in my gay golden performance volvo. How about you ;-)

I've got to go and hit mine with a hammer. Whilst you're out having your lovely drive, think of this:
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo174/RSCougar/Volvo%20meets/WP_000085.jpg (http://s373.photobucket.com/user/RSCougar/media/Volvo%20meets/WP_000085.jpg.html)

munster732
Sunday 16th March 2014, 08:23
I've got to go and hit mine with a hammer. Whilst you're out having your lovely drive, think of this:
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo174/RSCougar/Volvo%20meets/WP_000085.jpg (http://s373.photobucket.com/user/RSCougar/media/Volvo%20meets/WP_000085.jpg.html)

Wow, that looks like a healthy sized burger, looking in relation if that's a pint pot behind it. I may even go over to the dark side one day and try a softies meet...if I can get Pete a passport to leave Barnsley !

stribo
Sunday 16th March 2014, 08:26
Wow, that looks like a healthy sized burger, looking in relation if that's a pint pot behind it. I may even go over to the dark side one day and try a softies meet...if I can get Pete a passport to leave Barnsley !

You'd love it down here mate, shandy's easy to get. ;)

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 16th March 2014, 08:36
You've been up since 5, so get off the forum and go and sort your relays out lol.

V70 Graham
Sunday 16th March 2014, 08:56
You've been up since 5, so get off the forum and go and sort your relays out lol.

Hahaha that's what I was thinking too Mike, sun's out as well.

stribo
Sunday 16th March 2014, 09:28
I was watching the Grand Prix.:P All sorted, I hadn't pushed one of the main loom connectors properly:slap: Will update with pictures later.

Harvey
Sunday 16th March 2014, 09:30
Good news then.

AAnickmac
Sunday 16th March 2014, 09:33
Ha ha, glad it's sorted mate.

siamblue
Sunday 16th March 2014, 09:36
At least it was a simple fix..

V70 Graham
Sunday 16th March 2014, 09:43
At least it was a simple fix..

Yup, simple and cheap.....and he owned up lol

theflyingbrick
Sunday 16th March 2014, 09:46
wow I just remembered I had this same problem a while back!!! glad its sorted now mate,and to think our resident "bmw" driver was the one to find the solution ;)

graemewelch
Sunday 16th March 2014, 09:51
Haha ya plonker. Knew would be sumit daft. Weve all been there.

LeeT5
Sunday 16th March 2014, 09:53
Totally agree with this. Being honest at a breakdown is the best thing. I have been out to breakdowns where they tell you a load of lies because they are embarrassed to own up to what they have done. I just want to fix the car, not bothered what they done wrong, but need to know what they have touched.

Make sure if you call, you don't tell the call handler what you've done otherwise they may refuse service or charge you because technically, that's NOT a breakdown. Do not mention that you've had half the front end removed! Just say my car won't start. Once the patrol arrives then you can pour your heart out :cry::wink:

LeeT5
Sunday 16th March 2014, 09:56
just read you've fixed it! Well done.

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 16th March 2014, 10:28
Good news..

jamesy12345
Sunday 16th March 2014, 13:54
Glad it's sorted, I was following but had nothing really useful to add :)

stribo
Sunday 16th March 2014, 20:19
Just to put this to bed, and as a warning to anyone else, I thought I'd show you how I cocked up. When the radiator sprung a leak last week, and I realised I had to take the fan complete with the shroud off, I saw the connector in the middle of the picture, and thought if I unplugged it, it would save me unplugging lots of other things:
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo174/RSCougar/Volvo%20C70/WP_20140316_08_34_06_Pro.jpg (http://s373.photobucket.com/user/RSCougar/media/Volvo%20C70/WP_20140316_08_34_06_Pro.jpg.html)

Anyway, I couldn't get it apart, so had to unplug lots of other stuff anyway, turns out after I'd got my non starting problem, that I'd got it apart far enough for it not to make a connection. As soon as I connected it back together this morning I knew it was the problem, before I even tried to start the car, as stuff started clicking and whirring. :D
So although Mike wasn't correct , he got me looking in the right direction, cheers mate, definitely worth a drink.

V70 Graham
Sunday 16th March 2014, 20:22
Radiator/intercooler all good mate ?

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 16th March 2014, 21:23
Just to put this to bed, and as a warning to anyone else, I thought I'd show you how I cocked up. When the radiator sprung a leak last week, and I realised I had to take the fan complete with the shroud off, I saw the connector in the middle of the picture, and thought if I unplugged it, it would save me unplugging lots of other things:
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo174/RSCougar/Volvo%20C70/WP_20140316_08_34_06_Pro.jpg (http://s373.photobucket.com/user/RSCougar/media/Volvo%20C70/WP_20140316_08_34_06_Pro.jpg.html)

Anyway, I couldn't get it apart, so had to unplug lots of other stuff anyway, turns out after I'd got my non starting problem, that I'd got it apart far enough for it not to make a connection. As soon as I connected it back together this morning I knew it was the problem, before I even tried to start the car, as stuff started clicking and whirring. :D
So although Mike wasn't correct , he got me looking in the right direction, cheers mate, definitely worth a drink.

Glad it was an easy fix mate. :B_thumb:

stribo
Sunday 16th March 2014, 22:00
Radiator/intercooler all good mate ?

Yeah, only had time to take it for a gentle run to bleed the coolant, but so far all seems fine.

siamblue
Monday 17th March 2014, 23:34
Yeah, only had time to take it for a gentle run to bleed the coolant, but so far all seems fine.

Yes that connector is quite tough at times to get apart,i use a hefty flat bladed screw driver to press down on the tab.
All you need know is a nice R bumper.i have the wings here free of charge in Saffron if you want them ;)

stribo
Tuesday 18th March 2014, 06:53
I am after a passenger side wing for it, maybe we could meet up at the next Essex meet. I'm not getting an R bumper though. ;)

siamblue
Tuesday 18th March 2014, 13:04
I am after a passenger side wing for it, maybe we could meet up at the next Essex meet. I'm not getting an R bumper though. ;)

The wings are a different shape on the V70 and S70,but they fit if you have the R bumper,don't ask me how,all i know they are different to your 99p bumper..;)

stribo
Tuesday 18th March 2014, 13:19
The wings are a different shape on the V70 and S70,but they fit if you have the R bumper,don't ask me how,all i know they are different to your 99p bumper..;)

I didn't realise you didn't have C70 wings. I much prefer, the bumper that was designed for my car, than the square thing that was designed for a brick.;)

c70geoff
Saturday 22nd March 2014, 18:11
nowt wrong with an r bumper on a c70:redface:
especially now i have the bits needed to make the back one just as sexy

glad you fixed it fella
its always a numpty problem in my experience lol:slap: