PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Upgrade

Dan H
Wednesday 12th March 2014, 22:39
Hi all. I have a 2.5T AWD 1998 v70, I changed my turbo from the 13g to a 15g today due to the 13g seals leaking and having too much play in the shaft.

I took it out for a test drive and all was going fine, wasn't putting my foot down much, taking it to around 8-10psi. I then took it out tonight and put my foot down in 3rd, hit boost fine and then started stuttering when climbing through the rev range, it will boost to around 14-15psi but it will just stutter getting there and it has brought my EML light on.

Anyone have any ideas as what it could be and how i could stop it from juddering. I'm guessing the EML will be a boost pressure sensor due to it having more boost than standard 13g Tubo.

merc85
Wednesday 12th March 2014, 22:46
Could be hitting boost cut buddy, has it got a standard ecu?

Dan H
Wednesday 12th March 2014, 22:53
yeah its standard ECU, has t5 injectors, R.I.P kit, Was thinking it may need the ECU tweeking a little

claymore
Thursday 13th March 2014, 07:53
Check the plug gaps as well.

960kg
Thursday 13th March 2014, 09:48
Hi all. I have a 2.5T AWD 1998 v70, I changed my turbo from the 13g to a 15g today due to the 13g seals leaking and having too much play in the shaft.

I took it out for a test drive and all was going fine, wasn't putting my foot down much, taking it to around 8-10psi. I then took it out tonight and put my foot down in 3rd, hit boost fine and then started stuttering when climbing through the rev range, it will boost to around 14-15psi but it will just stutter getting there and it has brought my EML light on.

Anyone have any ideas as what it could be and how i could stop it from juddering. I'm guessing the EML will be a boost pressure sensor due to it having more boost than standard 13g Tubo.

You were probably right on the edge of boost cut during the warmer day then when using at night with cooler denser air you develop more boost which sent the ECU over the edge and into boost cut!

You will have to remap it or just turn down the actuator a bit and loose a bit of boost.........all depends what you want!

As mentioned you could try fitting new Volvo plugs and set the gap to .7mm instead of .75.......

Before i fitted my mapped ECU the cut would come at 15psi so your doing the same.....

Dan H
Thursday 13th March 2014, 13:51
might give the plugs a try, changed them last year for Irrudium plugs, so might just invest in some new genuine plugs in a few weeks. Think the remap will have to wait a few weeks, starting my new job in a week so need to save my pennies.

Cheers for the help guys! much appreciated, I dont mind loosing a bit of boost, I was only getting 9psi on the 13g on a good day with the actuator turned up a little so might just go down that route, or not be as heavy footed