PDA

View Full Version : Tips for fitting a new turbo.

stribo
Friday 7th March 2014, 19:22
What with the weather looking good for the weekend I'm going to try and get all my mods fitted, most are fairly straight forward, but this will be my first turbo change, so just wondering if there's anything in particular I need to remember. I'll be fitting a secondhand 18t, I remember Colin (Claymore) saying they need priming with oil, but am not sure if this is just for brand new turbos, also how would I prime it?

claymore
Friday 7th March 2014, 19:35
Just turn the engine over with the coil lead unplugged for 30 seconds, then you should be good to go.

merc85
Friday 7th March 2014, 19:43
Fill it with oil and turn it over by hand in a dish and leave it over night. Thats what i did but i did just rebuild it, then before connecting the pipes up to it, poor some more fresh in into the chra.:) Always renew the copper washers to as ive had these leak before. Replace the gasket and return seal too.

T5frankie
Friday 7th March 2014, 19:44
soak all the bolts in wd40 for a while, i found it alot easier to do some of the bolts from underneath with a 15" long 13mm ring spanner, make sure you put copper washers either side of the banjo when refitting, oil return pipe make sure there is no leftover gasket left on when you fit your new one as oil will piss out

stribo
Friday 7th March 2014, 19:45
I've got 2 seals for the return pipe, not taking any chances. ;)

T5frankie
Friday 7th March 2014, 19:45
I've got 2 seals for the return pipe, not taking any chances. ;)

seals and gasket?

stribo
Friday 7th March 2014, 19:49
seals and gasket?

No, just got the seals for where the pipe goes into the block, looks like I might have to pop up the local Volvo dealer first thing. Is the gasket just a paper one? I suppose I could knock one up with some gasket paper, still have to get copper washers though.

T5frankie
Friday 7th March 2014, 19:51
No, just got the seals for where the pipe goes into the block, looks like I might have to pop up the local Volvo dealer first thing. Is the gasket just a paper one? I suppose I could knock one up with some gasket paper, still have to get copper washers though.

get a proper one as its a bit of a ball ache fitting them back in as its very tight and hard to do one handed under the car

stribo
Friday 7th March 2014, 19:55
get a proper one as its a bit of a ball ache fitting them back in as its very tight and hard to do one handed under the car

Will do mate.

V70 Graham
Friday 7th March 2014, 20:01
I'll pop over and show you how to do it.

oblark
Friday 7th March 2014, 20:02
Just turn the engine over with the coil lead unplugged for 30 seconds, then you should be good to go.

And pull the fuel pump fuse out (fuse No2) or you`ll flood it

JamesT5
Friday 7th March 2014, 20:03
i'll pop over and show you how to do it.

lmao

stribo
Friday 7th March 2014, 20:13
I'll pop over and show you how to do it.

Cool, you can fit it all, I'll make the tea. ;)

T5frankie
Friday 7th March 2014, 20:34
i dont think you need to prime a turbo at all, if you see the speed that oil shoots out as soon as that key is turned if you leave the oil feed off, you'll understand

stribo
Friday 7th March 2014, 20:37
i dont think you need to prime a turbo at all, if you see the speed that oil shoots out as soon as that key is turned if you leave the oil feed off, you'll understand

I'm not taking any chances. ;)

Haizum74
Saturday 8th March 2014, 00:55

Apparently.........http://www.turborepairs.com/parts.html

MoleT-5R
Saturday 8th March 2014, 04:15
I'll be fitting a new to me turbo too.......

stribo
Saturday 8th March 2014, 07:03
I'll be fitting a new to me turbo too.......

I thought you were sticking with the 15g.

T5frankie
Saturday 8th March 2014, 09:38
Apparently.........http://www.turborepairs.com/parts.html

ive never had any issues and ive fitted lots now

graemewelch
Saturday 8th March 2014, 10:55
You can reuse the copper washer. Heat them up untill cherry red and let the cool. Do not quench them. Ive never had one leak yet. A 13mm s shaped ring spaner will help for turbo

MoleT-5R
Saturday 8th March 2014, 11:29
I thought you were sticking with the 15g.

I am, just a fresh one, that a certain Gent with a bowler hat ( and a fez, probably a deerstalker too ), happened to have lying around, thanks Colin

artfulflounder
Saturday 8th March 2014, 12:32
Another quality question that I dont have to ask.

same subject but with regards to 940 I was going to bolt drain pipe to turbo then feed drain to block when fitting turbo?.......is this easier than trying to mess around from under the car?

Sorry for the thread highjack :)

MoleT-5R
Saturday 8th March 2014, 13:26
Another quality question that I dont have to ask.

same subject but with regards to 940 I was going to bolt drain pipe to turbo then feed drain to block when fitting turbo?.......is this easier than trying to mess around from under the car?

Sorry for the thread highjack :)

you got a bit more room to play with in a 940 engine bay

Harvey
Saturday 8th March 2014, 17:07
Cool, you can fit it all, I'll make the tea. ;)

That's the wrong way around I think.

V70 Graham
Saturday 8th March 2014, 17:21
That's the wrong way around I think.

You sure.....I'll let Steve update you on his efforts.

deathrider311271
Saturday 8th March 2014, 17:32
my tip is get some bugger else to fit it for you lol

stribo
Saturday 8th March 2014, 18:06
my tip is get some bugger else to fit it for you lol

That's exactly what I should have done, today has been a ££££e day. First job of the day was to change the flanges over on the turbos, I bought a 12t with angle flange as I was told all TD04 turbos were the same size on the hot side, wrong, the impeller on the 12t is about 45mm diameter, the 18t is around 50mm, so I know have to find an angle flange the right size. Still I had the larger intercooler to fit, so I cracked on with that, removed the front of the car, removed the old intercooler, along with the aircon rad to make it easier (the A/C has been empty for ages, so no worries about escaping gas). I trim the sides of the new one, and drilled the bolt holes to mount it, got everything back in place, started bolting it up, when I noticed a slight drip from the left side of the radiator, had a closer look, and the rad had sprung a leak where it joins the oil cooler, on the left, after a lot of swearing, and a brief moment of toying with the idea of radweld, I thought I'd 'borrow' the rad out of the cabbie, but on close inspection found it didn't have the built in oil cooler. :slap:
Now I have no car to get to work Monday, great, o.k., so I thought I'd fit the ferrita downpipe to the cabbie, as I think the lack of power is down to a blocked cat, even that has been a right ballache, as being a convertible there's bracing underneath that needs taking off before the down pipe cab be removed. :wallbash: Anyway, I have the ferrita in place, just have to connect it to the exhaust, though I have noticed the nrear lambda lead doesn't reach the plug now, so it'll have to stay unplugged. Hopefully a couple of hours in the morning will see it sorted and running well enough to get me to work.
I'm not feeling the love for cars at the moment, but I'm sure I'll get it all sorted eventually. And relax..............

V70 Graham
Saturday 8th March 2014, 18:11
Hopefully you'll have a better day tomorrow mate, at least the weather has been kind this weekend.

Harvey
Saturday 8th March 2014, 18:14
What a nightmare of a day.

artfulflounder
Saturday 8th March 2014, 18:40
Thats not good news mate.....:(

Bad things come in 3s and sounds like they all came at once.

oblark
Saturday 8th March 2014, 18:42
That's exactly what I should have done, today has been a ££££e day. First job of the day was to change the flanges over on the turbos, I bought a 12t with angle flange as I was told all TD04 turbos were the same size on the hot side, wrong, the impeller on the 12t is about 45mm diameter, the 18t is around 50mm, so I know have to find an angle flange the right size. Still I had the larger intercooler to fit, so I cracked on with that, removed the front of the car, removed the old intercooler, along with the aircon rad to make it easier (the A/C has been empty for ages, so no worries about escaping gas). I trim the sides of the new one, and drilled the bolt holes to mount it, got everything back in place, started bolting it up, when I noticed a slight drip from the left side of the radiator, had a closer look, and the rad had sprung a leak where it joins the oil cooler, on the left, after a lot of swearing, and a brief moment of toying with the idea of radweld, I thought I'd 'borrow' the rad out of the cabbie, but on close inspection found it didn't have the built in oil cooler. :slap:
Now I have no car to get to work Monday, great, o.k., so I thought I'd fit the ferrita downpipe to the cabbie, as I think the lack of power is down to a blocked cat, even that has been a right ballache, as being a convertible there's bracing underneath that needs taking off before the down pipe cab be removed. :wallbash: Anyway, I have the ferrita in place, just have to connect it to the exhaust, though I have noticed the nrear lambda lead doesn't reach the plug now, so it'll have to stay unplugged. Hopefully a couple of hours in the morning will see it sorted and running well enough to get me to work.
I'm not feeling the love for cars at the moment, but I'm sure I'll get it all sorted eventually. And relax..............

Have you thought about taking the compressor wheel and housing from the 18T and fitting them to the 12T hot side ?

stribo
Saturday 8th March 2014, 19:13
Have you thought about taking the compressor wheel and housing from the 18T and fitting them to the 12T hot side ?

I'd rather just change the hot side over, it's a lot easier.

Redbrick
Saturday 8th March 2014, 19:30
My perfectly good radiator before I removed it sprang a leak after I'd added the aircon radiator to the rad pack, proper PITA, fickle beasts!

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 8th March 2014, 21:23
If you buy the genuine oil return gasket from Volvo it comes with a handy little tab so you can more easily line up the bolt holes.

Harvey
Saturday 8th March 2014, 21:27
If you buy the genuine oil return gasket from Volvo it comes with a handy little tab so you can more easily line up the bolt holes.

If you want some I have a bag of them you can have FOC.

stribo
Saturday 8th March 2014, 21:48
If you want some I have a bag of them you can have FOC.

Yes please, could I be cheeky and ask for 2, as I'll need one for the cabbie when I change the turbo on that.

Harvey
Saturday 8th March 2014, 21:59
Yes please, could I be cheeky and ask for 2, as I'll need one for the cabbie when I change the turbo on that.

PM sent

V70 Graham
Saturday 8th March 2014, 22:01
PM sent

Let him have the gaskets Harvey.....but sting him on the postage lol

stribo
Saturday 8th March 2014, 22:07

Thanks mate, with friends like you who needs enemies? Have you noticed that although I've had problems I haven't even mentioned selling up, unlike someone I know. :P

Harvey
Saturday 8th March 2014, 22:10

But I said I will drop them off by hand..

V70 Graham
Saturday 8th March 2014, 22:13
Thanks mate, with friends like you who needs enemies? Have you noticed that although I've had problems I haven't even mentioned selling up, unlike someone I know. :P

I know, point taken.....just fed up with it atm.

V70 Graham
Saturday 8th March 2014, 22:14
But I said I will drop them off by hand..

That distance lol, not even your that generous !

Harvey
Saturday 8th March 2014, 22:28

Don't do it it just feels so wrong when you see your car drive off. :(

Kingsford G
Saturday 8th March 2014, 22:37
Don't do it it just feels so wrong when you see your car drive off. :(

I done it many times and still does feel wrong and sad all day lol

stribo
Saturday 8th March 2014, 22:50

I know the feeling mate, but you don't appreciate how good your car can be, until you find out what a right PITA it can be. I know you're struggling with yours more than me at the moment, but, you have to ask yourself what you want from it. If you want hassle free, return it to standard, and you'll be happy, if you want a missile, then be prepared for a bumpy ride, because bolt on mods, and generic remaps will never get you what you want. I've told you this before ( I think) but your car is about how it looks, which is very clean and tidy, bordering on concourse, although it's possible to have a concourse car that's quick (1/4 mile in the 14's) do you really need that? If so, you'll have to put up with a rock hard ride, as coilovers will help with traction, and a noisy exhaust, but that's not what you want for yourself or your car. And being Miss Daisy's driver, you don't need a quick car, just a clean one. ;)

V70 Graham
Saturday 8th March 2014, 22:58
Of course your right, I'll never, nor will anyone, get 100% what they want, we all have to compromise somewhere be it power, reliability, noise or looks.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 8th March 2014, 23:53
I think Graham should get a decent Stage 2 and leave it. But you are right - he does need to sort out what he ultimately wants the car to do.

Kingsford G
Sunday 9th March 2014, 00:28
I know the feeling mate, but you don't appreciate how good your car can be, until you find out what a right PITA it can be. I know you're struggling with yours more than me at the moment, but, you have to ask yourself what you want from it. If you want hassle free, return it to standard, and you'll be happy, if you want a missile, then be prepared for a bumpy ride, because bolt on mods, and generic remaps will never get you what you want. I've told you this before ( I think) but your car is about how it looks, which is very clean and tidy, bordering on concourse, although it's possible to have a concourse car that's quick (1/4 mile in the 14's) do you really need that? If so, you'll have to put up with a rock hard ride, as coilovers will help with traction, and a noisy exhaust, but that's not what you want for yourself or your car. And being Miss Daisy's driver, you don't need a quick car, just a clean one. ;)

Hope u get it sorted mate,too far away to help u I`m afraid.

Biff
Sunday 9th March 2014, 07:43
Sounds like you've had a day out of my book Steve. Hope you get it sorted easily enough.
I'm really struggling not to mod after spending so much time on the bullion but in all honesty the civic would be ruined if I started playing.
I just don't have the time or patience for a project & it's really gutting. :(

LeeT5
Sunday 9th March 2014, 08:30
I don't envy you you changing your turbo Stribo. A 4.5hr job on my R and it was a right PITA for the dealer. Took them 2 days in a controlled environment with all the tools and a 4 post lift! God knows why it took so long but the service manager told me the fitter was cursing lots! Glad I didn't do it on my driveway.

960kg
Sunday 9th March 2014, 11:43
I see your "Wanted" ad for the angle flange for the 18T

But just to try and help as to get just that particular part will be a rarity as the Ph2 don`t have 18T but they have the angle flange

The later Ph1 "R" has the 18T with an angle flange but the early 850 one has a straight flange!......i am running the 18T with a straight flange which was the same size internally as my 16T on my Ph1 `97 V70

If you look at the charts and understand them it will then open up a wider variety of angled flanges to try and obtain which will fit your 18T cold side.

You will see that on the shaft and wheel chart the designations are "H...HL...L" and these determine the sizes of the inducer etc. on the hot side fitted to the turbos shown in the larger chart.

All 12T and 14T are designation "L" so this is why as you found out the angle 12T flange did not fit the cold side 18T as the 18T is designated "HL" ......the inducer etc is of a different diameter.

So now you can see that you can fit a 16T angled flange which is on Ph2 motors as well as late Ph1 `99 motors

I doubt you can fit the 15G or 13G as they have different assembly washers etc. but the 13T should be ok due to it`s "T" designation.

Another surprise is that even the 19T has a smaller diameter inducer etc on the hot side than it`s lower counterparts!.......the 19T comes more into it`s own with the size of the compressor wheel.

So really the only thing that TD04`s all have in common is they all look the same from the outside but are vastly different on the inside.

stribo
Monday 10th March 2014, 12:17
Just ordered this, thought if I was replacing the radiator I may as well upgrade it. Fingers crossed it arrives before the weekend.
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=608_611&products_id=8220&osCsid=ee8ad9ce59bafe05377c7566e994bb50

Harvey
Monday 10th March 2014, 13:57

Hi mate just to say they are in the post today,should see them Tuesday with any luck..

stribo
Monday 10th March 2014, 14:32
Thanks mate, no rush now as turbo is on hold until I get the correct flange.

oblark
Monday 10th March 2014, 15:22
Just ordered this, thought if I was replacing the radiator I may as well upgrade it. Fingers crossed it arrives before the weekend.
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=608_611&products_id=8220&osCsid=ee8ad9ce59bafe05377c7566e994bb50

Won`t the extra weight slow you down :)