PDA

View Full Version : No turbo boost after loud bang

Aiken
Saturday 5th November 2005, 00:06
See thread http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5445&page=3&pp=10 for details.

Regards: 1999/2000 2.3T5 C70 post RICA (about an hour or two after)

On the way home, about 140 miles into the 240 mile journey, driving moderately between 70 - 80 on average due to traffic (had not had chance to "test" the RICA), shifted down to third gear and accelerated hard.... guess what :-) ... booooom, nice backfire, oh shat wait, no, that was the turbo popping! (We think, we being me and my mate).

Basically, connected the handy boost gauge that was previously disconnected once RICA was installed, the car will go okay, but will not boost at all, in fact, when it tries to boost, it makes a nice groan in sync with what appears to be the turbo spooling up from the front where the turbo is located and loses power. Checked out the car for visible damage (at least as much as could see at night in a service station), all oil present etc (in engine at least).

When checking the boost gauge, needle was moving nicely as should be in the vac area (green bit below 0 = atmosphere) but did not move at all above 0 to the boost section of the gauge (yellow and red bit from 0.2 to 1.0 BAR).

The car is not in limp mode, and runs rather sweet still with revs below 3krpm without trying to accelerate hard. Over 3krpm then the groan/grind/broken voice turbo spin up occurs.

Anyone have ideas what it could be, is the turbo pooped, is it something else? It definately appears to be trying to work, just doesnt.

Possible thoughts, based upon knowing not a lot

1. Hole in the turbo? Its a 16T, my understanding is that these should be way strong enough for 310BHP Map.
2. Bent or damaged rods? (I guess Rods are the things inside the turbo?)
3. Pipes off? Doesnt explain the loud bang (sounded like backfire) or the deep groan (could be slightly described as grind) when the turbo tries to spin.
4. Cat? I doubt, noise coming from turbo and car runs okay when not trying to use boost.
5. Something else.

I have a day free tomorrow to visit the steelers to get codes read plus check the turbo out at my local garage/friend. Any input people have most appreciated.

Many thanks

S60D5
Saturday 5th November 2005, 00:12
Um. If it's running sweetly then I doubt it's a vac leak otherwise it'd show itself - take it back to VT and I'm sure they'll sort it out!

Ross9
Saturday 5th November 2005, 00:26
Pipes off

Boost hose coming off comes off with a loud bang or thwump, and noise when accelerating could just be air sounding wierd as it rushes out of the pipe and not into the intake where it should be going, makes sense along with not being able to get over 0psi as well, cant create positave with an open intake to the plenum.

you've checked all the hoses yes? is there not a lower hose on the T5's near the bottom of the intercooler, dark service station you have missed that it was off.

Ross

siamblue
Saturday 5th November 2005, 00:39
Same as above def hose off, i have had it a few times, check to make sure all the clips are still on, did you check the the smaller hoses? the hoses to the bcs you might have been able to see.

rick2
Saturday 5th November 2005, 01:20
defo check all hoses as i had the same thing after i had the inlet manifold off.30 secs down the road i blew top intercooler pipe off .sounded like something worse but a little looking around found the problem.

rick2
Saturday 5th November 2005, 02:16
ps.blew the pipe off because i didn`t check they were all tight after the rebuild ..it also threw some cel codes but they can be easilly cleared on 94 cars..

the_boy
Saturday 5th November 2005, 02:26
Oh ££££....... :(

Andrew
Saturday 5th November 2005, 08:15
I've had this and the sound of it scared the ££££ out of me - big split in one of the main hoses... Before I found out what it was I thought oh $h£t...

Redbrick
Saturday 5th November 2005, 08:28
Took the Mrs out for the first time after my 19T & Rica upgrade...

'Feel this', accelerated hard, 'BANG'

Oh £££££ I've blown it up!

Pipe had just come off, thought it was catastrophic!

As everyone has said- check your pipework.

Aiken
Saturday 5th November 2005, 09:08
A feeling of relief guys after reading all this! going to check all the pipes now since its light, got up as early as I could today.... will report back

mickys60t5
Saturday 5th November 2005, 09:47
this happened to me or similar the pipe of the throttle body blew off on hard accelaration made a backfire noise and lost power even sounded like the exhaust was blowing the pipe hadnt been tight enough silly me

Ross9
Saturday 5th November 2005, 10:28
Yeah you sometimes get a back fire noise as well, the car is shoving fuel in for the boost it is reading, then the pipe blows off, big thwump and no boost, then there is loads less air, and the car doesnt always react quick enough so you get a big fuel dump and bang, fuel in the exhaust, backfire, and normally in my case, a nice flame when it happens, not so good if you still have a cat though.

Ross

Crazy Eddie
Saturday 5th November 2005, 10:30
Hi mate,
Met u both yesterday at VT so took your advice and have joined up.
I bet that noise gave you a bit of a fright but by the sounds of it easily fixed which is good.
Anyway cheers for entertaining day yesterday hope you get sorted quickly.

Eddie
(Silver V70 T5)

Justin
Saturday 5th November 2005, 10:34
:welcome: eddie ;)

Andrew
Saturday 5th November 2005, 10:53
Welcome Eddie....

Mrsmopp
Saturday 5th November 2005, 11:19
Hi mate,
I bet that noise gave you a bit of a fright but by the sounds of it easily fixed which is good.

Eddie
(Silver V70 T5)

Welcome!! You should start a new thread so we can all interigate you further!! LOL ;)

x

Aiken
Saturday 5th November 2005, 14:18
Induction pipe under inlet manifold had popped off :-)

All working okay, just need to reset the codes now.

More to come.

Aiken
Saturday 5th November 2005, 14:53
Hey Eddie :-)

Great to see you joined :-)

Andrew
Saturday 5th November 2005, 15:51
Induction pipe under inlet manifold had popped off :-)

All working okay, just need to reset the codes now.

More to come.

Glad to hear it was nothing too serious...

Aiken
Saturday 5th November 2005, 16:45
All seems okay with the pipes.

Now, all I need to do is reset the fault codes as the damn thing is now burning too much fuel and puffing smoke out the back (stinks of unburnt fuel) because of the failure of the pipe and a code being registered. When I clear the codes it should all run normal again.

Meanwhile, car is going to sleep now until Monday to avoid damage to the cat.

Thanks all who responded, it really put my mind at rest this morning when I checked the forum, really appreciated!!!!

Justin
Saturday 5th November 2005, 17:02
Great news, glad its nothing major :)

Ross9
Saturday 5th November 2005, 18:51
Yeah, thought it was a cert to be a boost pipe. First time it happened to me in the Rover I was passing a line of 5 cars with a bus comign the other way, would have made it no problem if the pipe didnt pop off, that made it more interesting......

Ross

KARL
Saturday 5th November 2005, 19:01
I have also had this happen to me !

After a nice run with a X-5 BMW 4.2 on the way home from gatwick

in my V70 R AWD.

Left the motoway with a nice primed car for some good (A) road fun and BANG

hose serving the throttle body had come off. :drunk: :slap:

I put it back after burning myself loads only to find it wouldnt stay on.

Got home , new worm screw and all was good from there , but have to saty i thought BIG BUCKS TIME :drunk:

I felt your pain. :

Hope all will be well

Cheers

siamblue
Saturday 5th November 2005, 21:04
Hi Aiken glad you found it,
Last time happened to me i was crossing the line at Avon Park did a good time too untill i had to coast over the line with 70 yds to go,
my hose was on top of the turbo and boy was that hot to get back on :slap: .

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 6th November 2005, 02:08
Hi mate,

Eddie
(Silver V70 T5)
:welcome: Eddie - sorry we didnt have much time to chat - I hope your tuning was less dramatic.

Ian - I am glad to hear that it wasnt too bad.

MattB
Sunday 6th November 2005, 11:42
All seems okay with the pipes.

Now, all I need to do is reset the fault codes as the damn thing is now burning too much fuel and puffing smoke out the back (stinks of unburnt fuel) because of the failure of the pipe and a code being registered. When I clear the codes it should all run normal again.

Meanwhile, car is going to sleep now until Monday to avoid damage to the cat.

Thanks all who responded, it really put my mind at rest this morning when I checked the forum, really appreciated!!!!

Phew! Glad you got it sorted mate!