PDA

View Full Version : T5's and dump valves

Sweep
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 17:30
Do they need them? I'm not a huge fan of them myself and would rather run without, much prefer the sound of compressor stall (chatter). But are the standard turbos up to it? I know it can reduce the life of some turbos, but I don't mind having it rebuilt :wink:

p fandango
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 17:51
quite a few people don't use either blow off valve or recirc valve (including myself) & have never had issues

claymore
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 18:29
Yep, our turbos are too small to worry about compressor stall.

darzmat
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 19:45
Does that mean I can leave my forge blanking plate on and remove my dump valve? I thought I had to have either dump valve or keep the re circ??

claymore
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 20:01
Does that mean I can leave my forge blanking plate on and remove my dump valve? I thought I had to have either dump valve or keep the re circ??

yep, that's just fine :), although it would be better if you have no sound deadening on the bonnet and a cone filter ;)

darzmat
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 20:04
Ive not used my v70r on the road yet. Will I notice it as much with it being an auto? May seem a daft question lol but from the drive home it doesnt seem as aggresive as my 855 t5 manual.

LiamT4
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 20:21
Ive not used my v70r on the road yet. Will I notice it as much with it being an auto? May seem a daft question lol but from the drive home it doesnt seem as aggresive as my 855 t5 manual.

It won't be as noticeable on gear changes, but it should still be fine by simply putting your foot down hard untill about 4k and then backing off.

Sweep
Thursday 6th March 2014, 17:55
This was the impression I was under too.

Yep, our turbos are too small to worry about compressor stall.

yep, that's just fine :), although it would be better if you have no sound deadening on the bonnet and a cone filter ;)

Do they chatter well with a cone on it then?

So you can blank off the DV then, is that what we're saying?

claymore
Thursday 6th March 2014, 18:03
Yes, they make a nice chatter, and yes you can throw the DV in the bin :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgm4lMgqzpY&feature=youtu.be

Sweep
Thursday 6th March 2014, 18:06
Yes, they make a nice chatter, and yes you can throw the DV in the bin :)

Winner.
I'm beginning to like Volvos a lot :D

960kg
Thursday 6th March 2014, 18:29
Do they need them? I'm not a huge fan of them myself and would rather run without, much prefer the sound of compressor stall (chatter). But are the standard turbos up to it? I know it can reduce the life of some turbos, but I don't mind having it rebuilt :wink:

I understand what you say and everyone is different with what they want from there motor but the spool up time is quicker with the standard recirculating valve than without it.........why would you think Mitsubishi bother fitting it to there turbos?.......It is there for a reason, but no, Joe Bloggs comes along and modifies it or removes it............Noise does NOT mean it goes faster!......petty aftermarket additions are usually to just make money and not BHP.

LiamT4
Thursday 6th March 2014, 19:42
I understand what you say and everyone is different with what they want from there motor but the spool up time is quicker with the standard recirculating valve than without it.........why would you think Mitsubishi bother fitting it to there turbos?.......It is there for a reason, but no, Joe Bloggs comes along and modifies it or removes it............Noise does NOT mean it goes faster!......petty aftermarket additions are usually to just make money and not BHP.

But people don't do this type of mod to go faster, they do it for the noise.