PDA

View Full Version : Ebay con-rods

soothingduck
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 13:53
Anyone ever used these rods?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Conrod-Volvo-850-T5-C70-V70-2-3-Pleuel-connecting-rod-/400485205689?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d3ec746b9

Price is good but they are in china.
I have a few weeks till I need them,so I can wait

I think they are the right ones for my pre me7 v70 t5

cherry1809
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 13:55
Some people slate them without having tried them. Pretty sure Blackbeast ran them at 450bhp with no problems :)

soothingduck
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 13:57
Some people slate them without having tried them. Pretty sure Blackbeast ran them at 450bhp with no problems :)

Should be ok for me then lol as I'm not going to get over 300bhp

Sweep
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 14:21
Coming from the Ford scene I know of a few people that ran cheap rods no problem, but it's definitely worth having them weighted and balanced as some of the sets are frighteningly out of balance.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 14:39
You don't need forged rods to achieve 300 bhp.

WOODY T5
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 14:41
i 2nd that dave

soothingduck
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 14:49
You don't need forged rods to achieve 300 bhp.

I had no intention of buying rods but when I posted on here all I got was "you would be stupid not to put forged rod's in it" The engine is due to be rebuilt soon.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 14:55
If you are rebuilding it then sure why not, while you have the box open. Depends on budget, but how far do you go?

soothingduck
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 15:02
If you are rebuilding it then sure why not, while you have the box open. Depends on budget, but how far do you go?

I am Dave and the budget just seams to be getting bigger and bigger :(
My intentions are:

2.3 pre me7 t5
s60r exhaust manifold
16t turbo with angled flange
3" downpipe
2.5" cat back
white injectors
and a remap (maybe hlm)
ported head

claymore
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 15:08
That's all pretty much bread and butter mods, you won't need rods for that, and a hlm 304 ecu would be fine. It would need a custom map to get anywhere near 300bhp from that spec.

soothingduck
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 15:14
That's all pretty much bread and butter mods, you won't need rods for that, and a hlm 304 ecu would be fine. It would need a custom map to get anywhere near 300bhp from that spec.

I dont have a BHP target, its just that my engine is as slack as ****
So I thought I would add a bit of umph with with some better parts and a rebuild.
Should I just use new big-end bolts then?
hlm 304 got it :)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 15:18
To my mind you have 2 paths. If you fit rods & overhaul an engine then you may as well do it all properly = 2K >> 2.5K pounds plus turbo plus fitting & then mapping or just do externals only.

If you want to hit 300 then just bung a 19T on it, with the supporting mods (dp, catback etc)

or better still just ignore me so I can get back to work & not worry about these things.

soothingduck
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 15:21
I reconned the turbo last year so all is good there.
I just need a new actuator/recirc now

I would agree with 2k spend but i'm trying not to go over that if I can.

claymore
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 15:30
If your engine is tired I would just buy another engine, much cheaper than rebuilding yours, my car had done over 220k miles before I started to mod it.

soothingduck
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 15:33
If your engine is tired I would just buy another engine, much cheaper than rebuilding yours, my car had done over 220k miles before I started to mod it.

I don't want to buy a new engine I want to rebuild this one.

oblark
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 15:39

That's what I believe as they are in my project engine :)

siamblue
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 17:07
If this was my engine and i was splitting it,then i would fit new rods and shells with new rings and oil pump,then you can forget about it.then in say 2 years time you want more ommph then you only have to fit a bigger turbo and a map unless you want to have super ommph then you are looking at a bigger IC and a diff amongst other things.

cherry1809
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 18:30
Coming from the Ford scene I know of a few people that ran cheap rods no problem, but it's definitely worth having them weighted and balanced as some of the sets are frighteningly out of balance.
Seconded.

soothingduck
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 19:06
The site does say they are "Weight Tolerance: Balanced to +/- 1 gram in set"

If not item would be not as discribed and would be returned for a refund,as per Ebay rules.

cherry1809
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 19:18
Without digging out threads, I'm sure Blackbeast did weigh them, and they were pretty spot on!
As a side note, if the OP is after a ported head :D

mitchyboy01
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 19:44
Nearly all the other branded rods originate in China anyway. They will be fine. Many people on various forums running China rods no problems.