PDA

View Full Version : Switch bulbs

Hybusamini
Saturday 1st March 2014, 13:02
Where can i get interior switch bulbs from thks

Darkstar-SFX
Saturday 1st March 2014, 23:03
Do you mean the tiny ones that illuminate each individual switch? White plastic, twist-lock fitting? I had no success, when searching for some for my now defunct V70 P1, so I bought some tiny, 12v bulbs from Rapid Electronic Components and repaired mine. I think the bulbs are called "grain of rice" - they're about 3mm diameter. They are quite cheap - about 12p each - but that's also a problem, as the lifespan will not be as good as the OEM originals. It's a little fiddly, threading the wires in and bending them into position - and a pair of very fine wirecutters are good for neatly trimming off the ends.

I've since managed to find these bulbs on a bulb website, but they're not cheap. A Volvo dealer would probably have them (or be able to get them), but again, not cheap.

I'd like to see an LED replacement, but I think it's a little too niche for the LED companies to consider. The only answer would be to create your own, using a miniature LED package, suitable resistor and some epoxy potting compound (plus the original plastic holder). I have a few spares from my V70. I may have a go at making up an LED unit, when time permits :D

mikealder
Sunday 2nd March 2014, 11:08
The bulbs are known as "Grain of Wheat" you can find them on the bay for next to nothing, Maplins sell them, most decent model shops (trains/ dolls houses) will also stock them - Mike

GreenMachine
Tuesday 4th March 2014, 22:15
as above "grain of wheat" the last lot I got were 40mA 14V