PDA

View Full Version : Fuelling/MPG problem

Ian C70T5
Friday 4th November 2005, 12:16
Could someone please advise me about MPG and fuelling, specifically coldstart

My car is doing about 13/17mpg average.

I only drive 3 miles in the morning for a work journey.

I flicked the computer to current MPG and driving slow and grandad like when it was cold within 100yards of starting it was doing 13mpg.

Sitting idling the average MPG dropped within seconds from 13 to 11. on idle

I am a little worried.. i've been driving hard recently but not that hard..

Or is it all in my head cause cold start MPG is crap anyway? as the average MPG goes back to normal when its warm..

Can anyone help?

01c70t5
Friday 4th November 2005, 13:35
Doesn't sound at all right, with a heavy foot I can get over 20. Normal driving it's around 27, with my Dad 30+.

KARL
Friday 4th November 2005, 13:44
Ian

My misses takes my V70 R AWD 3 miles to drop kids at school , then drives

1 mile to newsagents then to work , 50 miles away.

Result 16 MPG.

Drove to the new forest , speeds of 80 to 100 mph average and the got 24.6 (Auto box holds first gear longer in cold conditions)

I find the car trys to warm it self by chucking in fuel when its real chilly , and

shutting it down before puts it in a bad mood!

Also After some drag strip type runs I have seen , wait for it 10MPG

The car was flying all that week but I couldent live with it like that , costing a fortune.

Have you reset the computer quite a lot lately as that is a big mistake i found.

Go for a long stedy drive and reset it during you yourney once and it should settle down in the 19-21`s.

You will go and spoill it after you find you cant live without flooring it daily :)

Good luck hope this helps

mike 850
Friday 4th November 2005, 18:58
didnt think they were supposed to give an mpg on idle???? either way doesnt sound right