PDA

View Full Version : Cooling system too much pressure V70 2.3 litre T5 Estate 1999

FishingTed
Monday 24th February 2014, 21:05
Hi
I could do with some advice please.
Have replaced radiator with one from Europarts - also thermostat before Xmas as loosing coolant.
Discovered mayonnaise in radiator expansion / filler tank a fortnight ago.
A mechanic friend has fitted new oil cooler but there is still too much pressure in coolant system.
Car still runs smoothly without exhaust smoke.
Is my next step to have a sniffer test for head gasket troubles?
Or might it be a defunct water pump?
Before I learn how to take the head off !

Kind regards
FishingTed

Kingsford G
Tuesday 25th February 2014, 00:08
They usually a pressure in the coolant pipes which does seem like pressurising.The filler tank caps known to fail too.

siamblue
Tuesday 25th February 2014, 02:08
Sounds like your head gasket is gone,why fit that stuff first?now it will get all mayonaissed again.

JamesT5
Tuesday 25th February 2014, 10:06
White stuff in your radiator water indicates a head gasket failure.

M-R-P
Tuesday 25th February 2014, 10:12
"Hi everybody, I'm ______ and I've got a _____ ______. I'm new here and I have a few questions..."

We don't bite mate :)

FishingTed
Tuesday 25th February 2014, 20:52
Cheers thanks for the help!

FishingTed
Tuesday 25th February 2014, 20:56
Many thanks for advice given.
Kind regards FishingTed

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 25th February 2014, 21:00
Worth paying a couple of quid for the test anyway regardless of you other areas of investigation. It can't do you any harm, when it could save you a few quid on wasted parts.

I will often compression test my cars when I change the spark plugs, mainly just for fun, but you never know.

sh0wtime
Thursday 27th February 2014, 19:44
try a bottle of K-seal in there. you might be surprised!

stribo
Thursday 27th February 2014, 20:06
Worth paying a couple of quid for the test anyway regardless of you other areas of investigation. It can't do you any harm, when it could save you a few quid on wasted parts.

I will often compression test my cars when I change the spark plugs, mainly just for fun, but you never know.

You're weird.

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 27th February 2014, 20:48
You've met me so you know that I'll never deny that!!'

craigoodwood
Friday 28th February 2014, 06:38
Hi
I could do with some advice please.
Have replaced radiator with one from Europarts - also thermostat before Xmas as loosing coolant.
Discovered mayonnaise in radiator expansion / filler tank a fortnight ago.
A mechanic friend has fitted new oil cooler but there is still too much pressure in coolant system.
Car still runs smoothly without exhaust smoke.
Is my next step to have a sniffer test for head gasket troubles?
Or might it be a defunct water pump?
Before I learn how to take the head off !

Kind regards
FishingTed

morning ted,
the thing with that is the oil cooler is inside the radiator anyway so if you changed the rad then someone said they'd changed the cooler too you should be questioning it....
losing water an mayo doesnt just mean head gasket, it could be that because the oil cooler is inside the rad that could have had some oil residue left over from the change and has found its way to the top....
and the pressurising could be as simple as not bleeding the system right as they are a pain to bleed....

empty the system, fill with water and a bit of washing powder then run up to temp to clean it out, then drain and refill and run it till the fan comes on without the expansion cap fitted, when the fan kicks in the cooled water level will start to drop so fill with water as it goes down to fill line, then fit the cap :B_thumb:

edit; and also when volvo shrews fitted a water pump for me they said its highly unusual for a water pump to fail, if volvo themselves deemed it good enough to fit from the factory the chances are it'll live forever ;)

Harvey
Friday 28th February 2014, 07:55
morning ted,
the thing with that is the oil cooler is inside the radiator anyway so if you changed the rad then someone said they'd changed the cooler too you should be questioning it....

I thought the oil cooler was on the side of the sump ?.

merc85
Friday 28th February 2014, 08:00
I thought the oil cooler was on the side of the sump ?.

On 850's and early v70's they are built into the side of the rad, there is also a secondary one (the alloy lump) below the Crank pulley, later me7 v70's have a cooler off the side/back of the sump.

FishingTed
Saturday 10th May 2014, 22:13
Thank you Craigoodwood & Harvey for your advice - sniffer test confirmed head gasket. Did use K Seal got another hundred miles running or so until I drained it out !
Have bought another V70 an oil burner this time of similar vintage 1999 identical to the T5 in silver too! Such a useful load carrier !
So if anyone is up for the challenge of a head gasket or an engine transplant please let me know.
The T5 has black full leather seats, silver bodywork in good condition, good tyres, etc I would prefer to sell it whole as it would be a shame to break it. Sadly I need the space so it is up for sale. Best wishes to all FishingTed