PDA

View Full Version : Delta link replacement - tool available to borrow?

iamawookiee
Friday 21st February 2014, 22:03
Hello all, I'm going to be replacing my delta link bushes shortly and although the tool isn't too expensive (£50 - http://www.volvopartshop.com/press-tool-9995497-10356-p.asp?uid=5C40F26A-31BC-4FFA-867B-1241B63907DB - seems to be cheaper than Rufe too!), I was wondering if anyone has one that I can borrow. Obviously I'll pay the postage and cover costs if I somehow break it!
Here's hoping, Scott.

t5 pete
Friday 21st February 2014, 22:16
Save your self £50
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?51478-Project-rust-box-time-to-save-the-gul/page5

iamawookiee
Friday 21st February 2014, 22:44
Yeah have come close to cracking down the drilling route, but mine will be done with the axle in place and a weekend to do it. I'll need the car back on the road on the Monday, so no room for not getting it finished!
Out of intereset did you use gen Volvo ones, I hear OEM ones are more of a pig to fit and people tend to trim the bush slightly?

Yosser
Saturday 22nd February 2014, 07:47
I replaced these bushes on the S70R last weekend.

I used the Volvo tool and Lemforder bushes bought from euro car parts. I strongly suspect them to be the same as oe.

I was able to borrow a tool but, at that price, I'd happily buy one for the job. I've seen them sell on eBay for more!

iamawookiee
Saturday 22nd February 2014, 10:47
I replaced these bushes on the S70R last weekend.

I used the Volvo tool and Lemforder bushes bought from euro car parts. I strongly suspect them to be the same as oe.

I was able to borrow a tool but, at that price, I'd happily buy one for the job. I've seen them sell on eBay for more!
You'd say that using the tool made it much easier to remove / replace them?

Yosser
Saturday 22nd February 2014, 11:02
I can't make a comparison because I've never done it before, so using the tool is the only way I know.

I didn't use any heat, I just got some pressure on the old bush using the puller and then attacked the bonded rubber bit with an air chisel. You could use a drill or something else.

I'm sure if I didn't have the tool I'd have found a way, but I was left feeling pretty glad that I had it on hand.

On reflection I should have just bought one. By the time you've paid for postage to and from whoever lends it you're on the way to half the price of buying it.

iamawookiee
Saturday 22nd February 2014, 17:56
I think I'll just bite the bullet and get the tool, should be fine with an array of other things in getting them out then (who has an air chisel in real life!?). I can then always sell the tool on / lend it out if I'm feeling generous.
I'm guessing you used a grease of some descript to help get the new ones in, any advise on what's best to use so as to not shorten the life of the rubber bushing?
Cheers

Yosser
Saturday 22nd February 2014, 18:32
Well, I guess having an air chisel makes my life unreal then... :-D

I just used a wee bit of 3 in 1 and then blootered the new bushes in with a mallet and a hardwood block.

I suppose whatever lubricant you have lying about will be fine, the bush looks pretty hard wearing.

Jamest5r
Saturday 22nd February 2014, 19:33
You can get them out manually was done on my car but a big hammer and sweat is required but it can be done :)