PDA

View Full Version : engine sounding too boring

c70mel
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 21:51
Hey all,

Well I love the performance of my C70 2.4 (no turbo) but the only thing which is letting it down for me is the sound.

I'm not really enjoying the sound of the engine, scares me thinking im working it to hard when reving to 5000+... What can I do to give it a bit of a grunt or meatier sound?

Heard I can fit a K&N panel air filter or will that not make much sound difference.... also heard about drilling the airbox but I wouldn't of thought this would make much sound difference either?

Has anyone done any mods which results in a sportier sound from the front end?

SaffronC70
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 22:27
Hi

Where abouts in the world are you ?

I've got an airbox you can try (before Siamblue has it) if you like. Better than making holes, it is cut in half !

Chris

Redbrick
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 22:42
If you want it to sound more throaty in the cabin then fit a Powerflex top engine bush thingy.

Engine sounds a lot meatier with one. :)

Al115
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 22:44
The upper engine mounting bush (as Redbrick mentions) will help a bit.

Other than that... without a turbo, you're screwed. :)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 4th November 2005, 01:14
You may wish to change the cat back system for something with smaller silencers?

PS look what I found!
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5463

c70mel
Friday 4th November 2005, 08:10
Hi

Where abouts in the world are you ?

I've got an airbox you can try (before Siamblue has it) if you like. Better than making holes, it is cut in half !

Chris

I'm from up north in Manchester, would be good if something like that could be tested out, just seen the pic of ur engine bay.. how does that massive cone filter sound? Will it be working ok as it will be sucking in all the warm air from around the engine wont it?

c70mel
Friday 4th November 2005, 08:15
If you want it to sound more throaty in the cabin then fit a Powerflex top engine bush thingy.

Engine sounds a lot meatier with one. :)

Are you talking about the part which holds the engine in place at the top back? that doesn't make any sound does it? hehe.

Indeed a turbo would be nice but im more than confident I can get a nice deeper sound from the engine with some sort of sportier air intake. Had a mate with a 1.4i corsa years ago and he stuck on this BFO big cone filter... the noise was unbelievable! Never heard such noise from a corsa and it was all coming from the engine (air intake)..... scary sound when he was driving up close behind!

So surely with a 2.4 there will be more air needed thus more airflow = more sound?

SaffronC70
Friday 4th November 2005, 12:10
I'm from up north in Manchester, would be good if something like that could be tested out, just seen the pic of ur engine bay.. how does that massive cone filter sound? Will it be working ok as it will be sucking in all the warm air from around the engine wont it?

Yeah it does if I decide to sit about in traffic or leave it idling for a while.

I wouldn't recommend doing this if you aren't a hands on type of guy !

I've also got my old BSR Optiflow kit knocking about !

The engine mount will make the engine sound better from inside the cabin - but any rattles you may will be exagerated !

Chris

c70mel
Friday 4th November 2005, 14:47
Yeah it does if I decide to sit about in traffic or leave it idling for a while.

I wouldn't recommend doing this if you aren't a hands on type of guy !

I've also got my old BSR Optiflow kit knocking about !

The engine mount will make the engine sound better from inside the cabin - but any rattles you may will be exagerated !

Chris

Well ive done plenty of messing around with my last few cars but im trying to withhold myself from messing too much with the C70.

Your not from round Manchester area then are you?

Im finding it hard to see how the engine mount gives a better sound? I persume it holds the engine in place more firmer or something thus giving a better sound?

c70mel
Saturday 5th November 2005, 09:05
You may wish to change the cat back system for something with smaller silencers?

PS look what I found!
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5463

I reckon this is the best/easiest option to get a louder sounding car - from the exhaust. I had a custom made exhaust and the silencer removed on my previous car so ive had enough of the loud exhaust sound.. constant groaning on the motorway... ahhh feels like im getting old now with me wanting a quiet ride. I'm just looking to get a louder induction noise.. I need to be able to hear the air getting sucked into the engine :)

Burken
Wednesday 16th November 2005, 02:06
Well I love the performance of my C70 2.4 (no turbo)

just one thing.. no turbo? in a C70?...it has to be an low pressure turbo? i had no idea that c70 where sold without a turbocharged engine...

but.. sound u said... get a 3" Exhausts.. and an open-airfilter for start...

c70mel
Wednesday 16th November 2005, 09:22
just one thing.. no turbo? in a C70?...it has to be an low pressure turbo? i had no idea that c70 where sold without a turbocharged engine...

but.. sound u said... get a 3" Exhausts.. and an open-airfilter for start...

Yup I have the 2.4 with no turbo in sight. I think there quite rare as like you say most do have at least the LPT turbo. It seems to help with the mpg though :)

Im defo leaving the exhaust as it is, just want a nice sounding induction sound. Ive done some further research into cone filters/induction kits etc and heard about problems which can arise when modifing or taking out the factory fitted airbox. Things like the MAF sensor and possibly other things may fail or cause problems, which I dont really want so thats putting me off messing around :(

Burken
Wednesday 16th November 2005, 10:39
ok... i dont belive in everything :)

www.negerboll.com/dump.wmv

thats my c70....