PDA

View Full Version : DIY boost leak test

silverhorse
Friday 14th February 2014, 17:48
I think I have a slight leak in the intake or vac system somewhere. I have Googled and I could go to dealer for a smoke test (lots of ££) or I could make a pressure tester a bit like THESE (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=diy+boost+leak&cr=countryUK%7CcountryGB&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbs=ctr:countryUK%7CcountryGB&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Nlb-UoOqLLTw0gXCi4CYBw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=667#imgdii=_).
Anyone tried to make one? If so, how did you get on?

Cheers guys

M-R-P
Friday 14th February 2014, 18:01
goes on over the inlet to the turbo mate. pretty easy to make too.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 14th February 2014, 19:07
I just gaffer taped a tyre air hose onto my intake pipe after the MAF and blocked up the ports where the pcv connects to near the turbo. Then pressurised the system. It leaked a tiny bit where the gaffer tape was but showed up some leaks elsewhere. Note there is a small drain hole in the bottom of the intercooler so it will leak there (I put a small self tapping screw in it temporarily).

silverhorse
Friday 14th February 2014, 20:45
I just gaffer taped a tyre air hose onto my intake pipe after the MAF and blocked up the ports where the pcv connects to near the turbo. Then pressurised the system. It leaked a tiny bit where the gaffer tape was but showed up some leaks elsewhere. Note there is a small drain hole in the bottom of the intercooler so it will leak there (I put a small self tapping screw in it temporarily).

Cheers Dave. What sort of pressure is OK? I am trying to work out how I can get some smoke in there under pressure as well. Or I could use butane and go round the pipes with a fag lighter!!

siamblue
Friday 14th February 2014, 21:07
I might have one,not sure if it is 2.75" or a 3" so will have to hunt it out and measure it.you are more than welcome to it.

silverhorse
Friday 14th February 2014, 22:29
I might have one,not sure if it is 2.75" or a 3" so will have to hunt it out and measure it.you are more than welcome to it.
That would be spot on mate. Save me botching one together!!! I have a 2005 2.4 T5. Dunno what pipe size is. will have a measure. Keep me posted. Cheers:B_thumb:

Dangerous Dave
Friday 14th February 2014, 22:39
Normal boost pressure would do it 10psi. The gaffer tape is the limiting factor lol