PDA

View Full Version : cooking on gas!

RollingThunder
Friday 14th February 2014, 08:45
I've been running the V70R on petrol since I picked it up as the first time I tried to refill on gas, the car was enveloped in a horrible hazy cloud! Yikes! So I assumed that the filler or filler pipe was leaking... well this morning I was filling up at a different station, my local Morrisons, and I glanced at the next pump over to me - an LPG pump with a different type filler nozzle (the twist and pull back lever type).

Me being me, I tried hooking up the gas nozzle - no cloud of gas, just a satisfying 'psst'. So I filled up the gas tank as well :funkybana £18 to fill the tank lol. I've zeroed the trip to see how far that'll get me, but to say I'm a happy bunny is a huge understatement - 24mpg on petrol isn't that much better than the 25mpg on diesel from my old Discovery - which I am selling because it was costing too much to run!

Off to see Simon next weekend to service the LPG system, then I can start enjoying the car instead of spending £100s a week on it!

M-R-P
Friday 14th February 2014, 08:52
Cool :) let the savings begin!

Try not to thrash it on gas tho, it burns a lot hotter and you don't want to melt anything :yikes:

Nealevo
Friday 14th February 2014, 09:23
Ive ran my 850R on gas for nearly 3 years and 20000+ miles, as long as you have it services annually then you shouldnt have any troubles. its nice kinowing that you atre doing the equivelient of 60mpg in a T5 on a run.

Join a group called countrywide farmers (free) and they sell gas at their filling stations for 52-54p a litre keeerrrrchhiiinnngggg

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 14th February 2014, 11:30
am I correct in thinking that technically you get a worse mpg on gas than petrol , but you save as it is cheaper to buy ?

RollingThunder
Friday 14th February 2014, 12:25
Cool :) let the savings begin!

Try not to thrash it on gas tho, it burns a lot hotter and you don't want to melt anything :yikes:

I thought that was the case too, but when I mentioned it on another forum (Landrover) I was shot down in flames, but I'm glad I'm not the only one believing it! I very rarely cane the car to be honest, just like the thought that if I wanted to (beat pretty much anything else on the road) I could :bud:

am I correct in thinking that technically you get a worse mpg on gas than petrol , but you save as it is cheaper to buy ?

I've heard you do get perhaps 10% less mpg than when running on petrol, but as its around 60% of the price of petrol, you save a lot overall. I'm expecting it to work out at around 45mpg petrol equivalent.

Nealevo - I just googled countrywide farmers (thanks) but they don't have any outlets oop North :) Shame that, but thanks for the tip all the same :)

M-R-P
Friday 14th February 2014, 12:46
Landrover engines aren't really powerful enough to worry about hot-running so I imagine they're right in their own way.

I've seen melted plugs on T5 engines.

RollingThunder
Friday 14th February 2014, 12:50
Ouch. I've just bought some Bosch platinum ones - they should be ok yes??? (getting a bit worried now!)

V70 Graham
Friday 14th February 2014, 13:34
Join a group called countrywide farmers.....

I would rather cut my 'man sausage' off

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 14th February 2014, 16:04
Landrover engines aren't really powerful enough to worry about hot-running so I imagine they're right in their own way.

I've seen melted plugs on T5 engines.

don't be so sure, those rover v8 blocks are prone to overheating and cracking. we replaced a couple of engine when worked at landrover !

M-R-P
Friday 14th February 2014, 16:13
Ouch. I've just bought some Bosch platinum ones - they should be ok yes??? (getting a bit worried now!)

if it can melt the end off a spark plug...