PDA

View Full Version : Power steering pump woes

Saaamon
Thursday 13th February 2014, 11:44
After diagnosing a grinding noising coming from the engine bay to the power steering pump by way of screw driver to the ear test I'm on the hunt for a replacement, are they all the same across the range or does it have to come spicily from another t5? The noise started suddenly last night does anyone have experience of this, I'd have assumed it would gradually of got louder over time?

Cheers.

T5RatherAmusin
Thursday 13th February 2014, 11:47
Have you checked fluid levels?

JamesT5
Thursday 13th February 2014, 11:49
My power steering reservoir leaks and if yours is doing the same then you may be low on PAS fluid.

Saaamon
Thursday 13th February 2014, 11:51
Yes fluid is at the correct level, sprayed wd40 everywhere I can but doesn't seemed to of quieten it down. All the belts and tensioner have recently been replaced.

M-R-P
Thursday 13th February 2014, 12:34
The belt could be a bit tight and pulling on the bearing, making it grind like that.

JT
Thursday 13th February 2014, 18:26
I've got a spare one somewhere............:shifty:

kyboy
Friday 14th February 2014, 11:11
Can't remember what it is but something in the res sometimes comes adrift and causes this!

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 14th February 2014, 11:34
Can't remember what it is but something in the res sometimes comes adrift and causes this!
the baffle inside comes loose. put your finger in the top and you can move it if defective.

it mainly happens on 1999 on and p2 cars though where they have a separate res. not really heard of it on an 850 with the tank on the pump.

960kg
Friday 14th February 2014, 13:01
Mine does the same until i bleed the system properly then it stops until the next time!....although i am `97 V70 i have the 850 setup.

The noise is caused when an airlock goes past the gears.......if you have any sort of leak then the air gets in.

Volvo bleeding procedure is go lock to lock gently with engine running and hold on each lock for ten seconds......do this 20 times but move the car slighlty after 10 times so the tyres are not damaged!

volvo850R
Sunday 16th February 2014, 19:05
mine failed its mot with a similar pas fault last week. Took it home completely removed all the old fluid, replaced, added some pas additive and its as good as new now and completely silent. might be worth a go if you havent changed fluid already.

Saaamon
Tuesday 18th February 2014, 13:56
After further investigation I'm not sure if it's the aux tensioner, have just ordered a new one so will see how that goes. As for draining the power steering tank did you just use a syringe?

martybelfastt5
Tuesday 18th February 2014, 17:12
yes a syringe is fine i done mine like that lifted front of car drained and refilled three times made a great difference to steering noise will be doing this yearly on mine

siamblue
Tuesday 18th February 2014, 18:41
Get the wheels off of the ground and do the airlock proceedure,then your tyres won't get damaged.