PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Clutches and Braking for an 850 Saloon

charlie-r
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 20:44
S0 the 850 has been driving really well, after the dyno results showed 283bhp at 4,600 all the way to redline I've been resisting the urge to make more power and have finally given in.

Just wondering if anyone knows what the stock clutch can take before it starts slipping, the car's already pulling 330FT/lbs or something daft from memory so wondering if there's much room left for any more torque before I need to swap the clutch out.

As everyone knows 850 brakes are shocking, I'm looking at fitting 4-pots but wondered about brake bias compensator's and stuff as the car is quite low. I've not spent much time underneath looking but I haven't noticed one. And will the standard MC cope with big meaty 4-pots being added to the front too. I'm not 100% clued up on big brake conversions as making things go fast is my thing (I don't normally care about stopping)

any input's appreciated :)

cheers, Charlie.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 21:26
Clutch, an 850R one will fit and work well with your power, I have one in mine, and mine has many mods done to it.

4 pots, how deep are your pockets?
Has yours got the 302 conversion done to it?

munster732
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 21:30
S0 the 850 has been driving really well, after the dyno results showed 283bhp at 4,600 all the way to redline I've been resisting the urge to make more power and have finally given in.

Just wondering if anyone knows what the stock clutch can take before it starts slipping, the car's already pulling 330FT/lbs or something daft from memory so wondering if there's much room left for any more torque before I need to swap the clutch out.

As everyone knows 850 brakes are shocking, I'm looking at fitting 4-pots but wondered about brake bias compensator's and stuff as the car is quite low. I've not spent much time underneath looking but I haven't noticed one. And will the standard MC cope with big meaty 4-pots being added to the front too. I'm not 100% clued up on big brake conversions as making things go fast is my thing (I don't normally care about stopping)

any input's appreciated :)

cheers, Charlie.

Im taking it that was 283bhp at the flywheel? Never ran it on a dyno myself Charlie, glad its going well....wanna sell it lol

charlie-r
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 21:39
Clutch, an 850R one will fit and work well with your power, I have one in mine, and mine has many mods done to it.

4 pots, how deep are your pockets?
Has yours got the 302 conversion done to it?

The ones I've got in fine with the current power, no probs at all it's just incase I get a bit silly with it wondered what I'd squeeze out of her before I need to swap one.

And not very deep, but deep enough for 302mm discs and 4-pots :)

Yeah wayne, 283flywheel hp, I'll have to get some pictures of how she's sitting too. Not selling her anytime soon but I'll give you a shout if I do haha :)

Volvostorm
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 21:51
Never seen anybody fit 4 pots to the 302 discs, what about 302 discs with a decent set of pads and braided hoses? Thats about the cheapest upgrade using stock parts, apart from the pads, of course ;)

charlie-r
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 23:15
Well the 4-pots I'm looking at are originally for 304mm discs so I'll just fab my own brackets up and run 302mm discs, the 1mm overlap will be compensated for in the bracket. The custom braided hoses from pirtek or similar should do the trick :)

Saaamon
Sunday 16th February 2014, 07:37
I don't think 850 brakes are shocking..

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 16th February 2014, 14:22
They are pretty bad TBH, push the 280s and they fade badly and genuine Volvo pads give off a shocking amount of dust.

I found I got better braking from the 280s when I fitted drilled/grooved discs and yellowstuff pads (after trying different combos of discs/pads). Didn't have the money to get anything better.

stribo
Sunday 16th February 2014, 16:03
I don't think 850 brakes are shocking..

You should have seen the smoke coming off mine at Silverstone last year, and I've got 302mm brakes. Got some racing pads to fit now, so hopefully they'll improve.

JT
Sunday 16th February 2014, 16:17
You should have seen the smoke coming off mine at Silverstone last year, and I've got 302mm brakes. Got some racing pads to fit now, so hopefully they'll improve.

I have some evidence of that! lol

http://youtu.be/Id9YC810XH0

p fandango
Sunday 16th February 2014, 16:25
I have some evidence of that! lol
what brakes did you use for your first seasons racing? lol

JT
Sunday 16th February 2014, 16:26
what brakes did you use for your first seasons racing? lol

280's!! :uglyhamme

stribo
Sunday 16th February 2014, 16:33