PDA

View Full Version : 940 estate suspension recomendations?

pwalker
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 20:54
after some shocks and possibly springs (may have some on my other volvo i can use) for a 940 estate, the car will be getting drifted quite regularily so i want something very stiff ideally, i read reviews of some before cant remember specifically but the person wrote that they were pretty unbearable for on the road so thats proberbly the ones i want lol.

peoples recommendations on springs? spax? pi? and shockers? bilstien? koni? etc

found http://motorsportworld.co.uk/ to be reasonable pricing on the koni shocks but says 25% stiffer which proberbly isnt eneugh judging by how wollowy it is atm.

can you open the shockers on these cars btw?

FIREBOLT
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 21:35
I fitted Bilstein B8's (worth more than the car) with Kilen lowering springs, the shocks are great but I am going to cut a coil off the front as the back springs have sagged.
I got the B8's from Germany as that was the only place to have them in stock. From looking at all the other shocks availably the B8's were the only ones designed to work with lowering springs. Probably why any other shocks with lowered/cut springs are so harsh.

BILSTEIN B8

Performance you can feel and see.

What lowering or sport springs are to aesthetics, BILSTEIN B8 is to performance!

The product benefits at a glance:
•Shortened high-performance shock absorbers for
virtually every lowering spring set and series production sport vehicles
•Sports settings with high level of comfort
•Marked improvement in safety and performance
with additional spring changes (lowering)
•Precision handling and optimised vehicle control
•BILSTEIN gas pressure technology
•BILSTEIN mono-tube/Upside-Down technology, made in Germany
•Road-tested by BILSTEIN and fine-tuned

pwalker
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 21:38
I fitted Bilstein B8's (worth more than the car) with Kilen lowering springs, the shocks are great but I am going to cut a coil off the front as the back springs have sagged.
I got the B8's from Germany as that was the only place to have them in stock. From looking at all the other shocks availably the B8's were the only ones designed to work with lowering springs. Probably why any other shocks with lowered/cut springs are so harsh.

ahh the "worth more than the car" part is no good for me :/ the car is a cheap drift slut daily dog lol so dont want to be spending much on it ideally.

FIREBOLT
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 21:46
From what I remember there were some BMW & I think Peugeot shock inserts that would fit in the Volvo strut, I was going to get some shorter Koni inserts & then machine a spacer to fit underneath the shorter damper. In the end I just wanted the car on the road so got my wallet out & made do with out any food for the rest of the month.

FIREBOLT
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 21:48
Just had a look 164 euro's each! http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/suspension-steering/shock-absorbing/shock-absorber/shock-absorber-front-axle-gas-pressure-b8-sprint/1008313/

pwalker
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 21:53
is that alot cheaper than you paid? :P. im tempted to just bodge them and fill with thicker oil tbh...im struggling to find much thats cheap eneugh and will be stiff eneugh, iv read a few sites talking about gaz coilovers but cant see them to actualy buy anywhere :/

FIREBOLT
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 22:10
It certainly seems cheaper, then again what started as just a simple lowering spring job turned into, new top mounts, springs, shocks, wheel bearings, callipers, braided hose's, brake back plates, discs, ABS sensors, lower ball joints, lower arms, torque arms, track rod ends, tie rods, steering rack etc etc. I'm now getting to more fun jobs like bigger turbo, wheels etc. Have Kaplhenke adjustable top mounts, Lux steer & Retro turbo pan-hard rod, IPD sway bars to go on when I chop these springs down.

pwalker
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 22:17
yeah haha sounds like your doing a proper job tho, not like what mine will be getting haha

Shinsplintz 101
Wednesday 12th February 2014, 11:37
http://www.gazshocks.com/products

I've got gaz shocks - gold coilover - on my 850 R. They're good but not very robust - mine are just about to come off the car after about 20k [fitted by previous owner] to go back to GAZ for a refurb @ £30 a corner as the bump/rebound is knackered at high damping settings. Hard riding suspension but the car does feel like its on rails when the going gets twisty - expect they'll be even better once refurb'd!

I'm getting a set of these as a stop gap whilst the GAZ units are off - they're cheap & get mixed reviews but what do you expect for £200 ish quid?? Will let you know how I get on with them:
http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/frame-manranges.asp?code=5

Cheers, Morgan

pwalker
Wednesday 12th February 2014, 15:53
Cheers for help :), how much were the gaz? I was trying to look for somewhere selling them before but couldn't find anywhere, tbh them cheap ones would proberbly do for me if theg do them for a 940

Shinsplintz 101
Wednesday 12th February 2014, 15:58
I think larkspeed & a few other online performance part suppliers do them. Your looking at best part of £900 for the gold coilovers but seperate spring/damper options are available iirc.
Good luck, Morgan

artfulflounder
Monday 17th February 2014, 15:27
Been looking for a cheap upgrade and seems that saab 900 series 1997 was 2 1/4 inch shorter shock body and 1 inch shorter rod length,
rod end is same size and pitch as volvo items.

Cut strut down 2 1/4 inch use saab insert and order a coil over kit from ebay....bout £30. (Tubes and spring tops).
Remove spring perch from leg. Use coil over kit with spring of required lb age.... and bobs your uncle coil overs at the fraction of the price.

pwalker
Saturday 1st March 2014, 21:52
Been looking for a cheap upgrade and seems that saab 900 series 1997 was 2 1/4 inch shorter shock body and 1 inch shorter rod length,
rod end is same size and pitch as volvo items.

Cut strut down 2 1/4 inch use saab insert and order a coil over kit from ebay....bout £30. (Tubes and spring tops).
Remove spring perch from leg. Use coil over kit with spring of required lb age.... and bobs your uncle coil overs at the fraction of the price.

yeah i think custom coilovers might have to be the way to go