PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting boost

MarkGolf
Friday 28th January 2005, 21:09
OUT OF INTEREST...

I'd like to know how this is done on the T5...
Not something i'd attempt myself, but how do you go about winding up the boost..

Is it a case of, adjusting a knob or screw which increases boost... that simple??

thanks

Pedro Fandango
Saturday 29th January 2005, 00:10
i've just used an MBC (manual boost controller) that overrides the ecu controlled solenoid to adjust the boost to what i want. But most get the ECU remapped to adjust it as they can alter the fuel aswell

chriskay
Saturday 29th January 2005, 11:51
You can use a MBC, as I have on my 480, & as Pedro has done, but it's much better to have the ECU re-mapped & get the fuelling right.

MarkGolf
Saturday 29th January 2005, 12:50
ok cool :D

I just read a guide on adjusting the actuator? Im guessin this is adjusting the boost?
Is this safe, and if i do it, is 3 turns safe?

thansk

pikeajm
Sunday 30th January 2005, 13:19
take it to a pro or get it rica'd you run the risk of detination witch will destrory or engine i know people here that have tampered with boost ect 2 weeks later they had no engine in car and were fitting a new one

Pedro Fandango
Sunday 30th January 2005, 14:45
wired my boost gauge up yesterday & i'm running 21psi with an MBC :eek: (only holding 17.8 tho :mad: )

steveT5
Sunday 30th January 2005, 20:46
Fitted a boost gauge myself this weekend. my car has no mods, and to my knowledge is completely standard. the car is holding 0.5 bar and occasionally peaks at 0.7. can anyone tell me if this is about right for a standard setup ? Also what boost pressure could i increase to without doing any damage ? Is it acceptable to adjust the wastegate and use the gauge as a guide as to wether the ammount of adjustment is correct.
Thanks,
Steve.

Pedro Fandango
Sunday 30th January 2005, 22:13
Fitted a boost gauge myself this weekend. my car has no mods, and to my knowledge is completely standard. the car is holding 0.5 bar and occasionally peaks at 0.7. can anyone tell me if this is about right for a standard setup ? Also what boost pressure could i increase to without doing any damage ?
your boost pressure sounds about right to me, the main thing to worry about when messing with your boost is if there is enough fuel being thrown in to match (which is why they recommend you fit an air/fuel guage when you fit an MBC)

Bracer
Monday 31st January 2005, 10:39
Right.

1) Dont use the WG to adjust the boost, only tweak it to gain / reduce spool-up and spiking. And always make a note of what you do to it i.e how many turns and what way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) Dont use the stock boost gauge when fitting a MBC if you like your rods (18 PSI @ 2500 rpm’s and bye bye engine)

3) ECU's are the best method of upgrading power as they are re-calibrated to make the power reliable and still return good economy. A MBC only fools the car into running more power and relies on the ECU being able to adjust to the limits of the stock settings to cope. A Tuned ECU had new ignition / fuelling / and boost setting that work together.

I still use a MBC but for spool up purposes only and its more stable than the BCS low down.

You can still use MBC for a upgrade to arround 280hp and the stock map as long as all else is ok in the system.

14.5 Psi or 0.95 Bar is the MAXyou want to be running as a MBC is not rev's related and thou the engine can take more up top if you go over that below 3000 rpm's you will bend your Con Rods.

Hope this has helped answer some of your questions ?

Steve :wink:

Pedro Fandango
Monday 31st January 2005, 15:50
14.5 Psi or 0.95 Bar is the MAXyou want to be running as a MBC is not rev's related and thou the engine can take more up top if you go over that below 3000 rpm's you will bend your Con Rods.
totally agree there, when i stated i was running 21 it was more out of shock that trying to get him upto the same (the ECU SHOULD bring in the overboost at 15psi anyway)

steveT5
Monday 31st January 2005, 18:11
Thanks guys, I'm now convinced to leave well alone. I'll keep filling the piggy bank and get the ECU done
Thanks again,
Steve.