PDA

View Full Version : anything needed to tackle idle controll valve?

pwalker
Monday 10th February 2014, 21:12
got a b230fk on tickover the revs drop a little bit now and again nearly cutting out, iv replaced the lambda sensor but its still a bit uneven so next job is idle controll valve, just wanting to know if there are any gaskets etc i will need before doing it as i havent had chance to even look at the valve yet
cheers

smithy
Monday 10th February 2014, 21:28
got a b230fk on tickover the revs drop a little bit now and again nearly cutting out, iv replaced the lambda sensor but its still a bit uneven so next job is idle controll valve, just wanting to know if there are any gaskets etc i will need before doing it as i havent had chance to even look at the valve yet
cheers
The icv sits just under inlet manifold and give it a good clean out with card cleaner .but also check that the tps is set properly and that the is no play in the tb.also check for boost leaks as I have said in your other thread .

JUDGENINJA
Monday 10th February 2014, 21:29
Not sure about your model, but an idle control valve would be connected to the air system, so an electrical plug and a couple of jubilee clips would do unless yours is different.

Doingitsideways
Monday 10th February 2014, 21:31
Yes the valve do start to play up over time, but I'd check for any split hoses or gaskets first.

Easiest way is to leave the engine idling and spray some carb cleaner or similar around any hoses/joints/mating surfaces on the entire inlet side.

Oh, don't forget any vacuum lines to your ventilation system if it has them!

If the engine note changes at all, you've got a leak :)

Steve ;)

pwalker
Monday 10th February 2014, 21:40
sweet cheers people, thaught id check as my skyline one needed a gasket

barkster1971
Monday 10th February 2014, 22:06
You can unplug both the tps and the icv and see if it makes a difference. The tps can be adjusted by unscrewing it slightly and tapping it gently to get it idling correctly. It should click when the throttle is opened. Where are you located?

pwalker
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 02:56
You can unplug both the tps and the icv and see if it makes a difference. The tps can be adjusted by unscrewing it slightly and tapping it gently to get it idling correctly. It should click when the throttle is opened. Where are you located?

il clean the icv first anyway as a matter of course and see what happens, just next to middlesbrough

timbo
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 04:33
If you can try and get hold of an ultra sonic cleaning bath like this:

http://bit.ly/1lZFpJN

And give the ICV a good clean in it, failing that a tin of intake cleaner from halfords, worth doing as they easily get gunked up.

pwalker
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 19:43
iv got a sonic bath at work, but il just give it a go with the old carb cleaner first and see how it comes out first, doubt il bother with the bath, cheers

barkster1971
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 18:21
Check the pipes leading from the manifold. You've got the thin one to the pcv, two to the charcoal canister and one to the turbo, if there's a crack in any of them it will affect idle speed.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 5th March 2014, 19:25
Be careful as the motor internals are not sealed so keep it valve end down to stop any bits getting washed inside.