PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs

red_hot_volvo
Monday 10th February 2014, 20:21
My C70 now has one of Don's brilliant MTE remaps on it and my car certainly now lives up to my screen name, but a quick question about spark plugs, since the car is now remapped, is the car still fine to run the Volvo plugs it's currently on, or do I now need to go one step colder, which would mean using another make of plug, I reckon they are now ready to be changed as they've put the miles in, any recommendations?

stribo
Monday 10th February 2014, 20:22
Volvo plugs will be fine, although I use NGK Iridiums.

Jamest5r
Monday 10th February 2014, 20:29
Volvo it is simples :)

Saaamon
Monday 10th February 2014, 20:34
Volvo ones, worth checking the gaps before you fit them too.

M-R-P
Monday 10th February 2014, 20:38
Volvo all the way :)

red_hot_volvo
Monday 10th February 2014, 20:40
Funny you should mention gaps, some of the American forums recommend making the gap a wee bit tighter than standard when you are running higher boost pressures, maybe 0.65-0.7, I don't normally run plugs with smaller gaps than standard but I guess it makes sense, sort of!

Saaamon
Monday 10th February 2014, 20:51
How do you get on with the MTE map? They make a good graph.

red_hot_volvo
Monday 10th February 2014, 21:09
Never had it Rolling Road tested, but I'd like to just to see if it's making what I think it is, supposed to be circa 280 BHP and 421Nm torque, perhaps a teensy bit more as I have the ferrita cat back exhaust on as well and still thinking about putting on the uprated downpipe and cat as well, but driveability wise it feels very smooth and progressive and you can tell there's more torque and power there and I've noticed that on WOT that it really reacts, goes berserk, and of course there's the other thing of embarassing supposedly 'superior' machinery, the buzz of my 'W' reg Volvo making ponces in 13 plate Audis look stupid when they try to take liberties is priceless! So's the look on some of their faces! I'm not a racer but I don't let people take the p1$$ with me!

RollingThunder
Monday 10th February 2014, 21:13
Thats what I love about the R's - people just don't realise what a powerhouse they are :)

Been wondering about a RICA or MTE remap myself... nothing immediate, but lets just say its on the to-do list :) Just got to make sure it'll happily cohabit with the LPG setup.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 00:47
I am running NGK Iridium 8s for the last 6 years (320bhp out of 19T on a C70 MY99) - now running same plugs on the same car running the Garrett GTX3071R23764

abdul
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 09:38
Original

JamesT5
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 09:45
Volvo plugs will be fine, although I use NGK Iridiums.

What are they like Steve, I thought about upgrading to these as I know PFV sell them, but do they really make that much difference to the performance?

stribo
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 10:37
Haven't really noticed much difference tbh, but they're definitely no worse, and I got them cheaper than a set of genuine plugs.

Saaamon
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 11:19
Never had it Rolling Road tested, but I'd like to just to see if it's making what I think it is, supposed to be circa 280 BHP and 421Nm torque, perhaps a teensy bit more as I have the ferrita cat back exhaust on as well and still thinking about putting on the uprated downpipe and cat as well, but driveability wise it feels very smooth and progressive and you can tell there's more torque and power there and I've noticed that on WOT that it really reacts, goes berserk, and of course there's the other thing of embarassing supposedly 'superior' machinery, the buzz of my 'W' reg Volvo making ponces in 13 plate Audis look stupid when they try to take liberties is priceless! So's the look on some of their faces! I'm not a racer but I don't let people take the p1$$ with me!

My R made 282hp and 330ftlb at 13psi with turbo back ferrita so your expectations are fairly accurate, mte maps hold the power well.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 11:21
The iridium 8 is not an upgrade as such - I just happen to find that compared with the BKR7EVX (which my car has nibble at once or twice) that they were more reliable under higher heat conditions.