PDA

View Full Version : ECU Remap question

spacca
Sunday 9th February 2014, 11:04
how can i find out if my ecu has been remapped?

T5frankie
Sunday 9th February 2014, 11:15
by connecting a boost gauge, it will read 10 psi if it isnt and anything over 14 if it has

spacca
Sunday 9th February 2014, 11:16
thanks for quick reply.

i will add it to the to do list.

T5frankie
Sunday 9th February 2014, 11:19
easiest way is to run a pipe from the vac tree over the top of the engine through the top of the bonnet then in the window with the boost gauge on the end of it lol, iv egot one here if you want to pop round lol

Marc Lenssen
Sunday 9th February 2014, 11:30
Get one of those odbII Bluetooth dongles (ELM 327) for cheap and download the torque app on your phone.... gives you boost etc...and is a lot less work then hooking up a boost gauge..

spacca
Sunday 9th February 2014, 11:44
got one on the way. been waiting ages though considering there supplied from UK.

T5frankie
Sunday 9th February 2014, 11:49
Get one of those odbII Bluetooth dongles (ELM 327) for cheap and download the torque app on your phone.... gives you boost etc...and is a lot less work then hooking up a boost gauge..

they aint accurate

M-R-P
Sunday 9th February 2014, 12:23
there's no vac tree on a p2, you need to tee off the 4mm pipe that goes from the nearside of the inlet manifold to the recirc valve on the compressor. I've done a how-to somewhere.
I believe your car was heavily tuned a few years ago bit everything was put back to standard before Quady took possession.

Marc Lenssen
Sunday 9th February 2014, 22:03
Why not accurate? It is just a signal from the MAP sensor isn't it? No actual measuring by the dongle involved.

spacca
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 16:45
Thanks for all your input.
Still learning.
Will wait for OBD dongle to arrive and go from there.

M-R-P
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 16:49
Why not accurate? It is just a signal from the MAP sensor isn't it? No actual measuring by the dongle involved.

Sometimes the measurements taken by the torque app are wildly inaccurate, I've seen it myself first hand. Especially if the map sensor is the original one, it can read off by quite a bit.

spacca
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 17:00
Car hasnt changed since you saw it last Martin.

Failed recent MOT on a few things but i get my bonus next month and will be all over it.

Its not an expensive fix but whilst its on ramps i may aswell throw money at it.

Marc Lenssen
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 17:15
Sometimes the measurements taken by the torque app are wildly inaccurate, I've seen it myself first hand. Especially if the map sensor is the original one, it can read off by quite a bit.

Oops, better stop using mine then

R-200vi
Thursday 13th February 2014, 23:54

Can 100% back you up on this. My mate has got one and we plugged it into my s60r all the live data was reading a load of crap.. said i was boosting at something silly like 36psi.. Good if u need a fault code reading but wouldn't go by the live data.

M-R-P
Friday 14th February 2014, 00:13
Can 100% back you up on this. My mate has got one and we plugged it into my s60r all the live data was reading a load of crap.. said i was boosting at something silly like 36psi.. Good if u need a fault code reading but wouldn't go by the live data.

Strangely, i was calibrating mine tonight and since cleaning my map sensor, its very close to being accurate.

Marc Lenssen
Friday 14th February 2014, 07:28
Mine indeed gives believable data, boost, rpm at idle, throttle position etc... pretty nifty for the 9 pounds they cost...

M-R-P
Friday 14th February 2014, 07:41
Most of the data is bang-on. Especially things like rpm, road speed, fuel rate etc. What causes problems is old sensors - Boost sensor, temp sensor, oxygen sensor MAF etc. The app will only show you what the sensor sees so if the sensor is giving inaccurate information, that's what you'll get from the reader.

If you're tuning, I certainly wouldn't rely on anything other than a good mechanical boost gauge.

Dream3r
Friday 14th February 2014, 20:44
Guys, Torque uses MAF values to estimate boost and VAC with torque, how else can it see vacuum??

Volvo's don't have a boost OBD2 PID for Torque to use either.

M-R-P
Friday 14th February 2014, 20:46
The only time you show up is to offer spot on info, cheers bud, i was unaware that it worked like that. I figured it just read the bps values.

Dream3r
Friday 14th February 2014, 20:53
LOL, not sure how to take that :D Torque and boost is a hobby horse of mine tbh, it drove me to create my logger as I needed info to tune my car correctly and torque/VIDA/anything else was missing too much.

M-R-P
Saturday 15th February 2014, 08:01
LOL, not sure how to take that :D Torque and boost is a hobby horse of mine tbh, it drove me to create my logger as I needed info to tune my car correctly and torque/VIDA/anything else was missing too much.

meant only as a compliment mate, I've been following your shenanigans with considerable interest.

:)

960kg
Saturday 15th February 2014, 09:42
Most of the data is bang-on. Especially things like rpm, road speed, fuel rate etc. What causes problems is old sensors - Boost sensor, temp sensor, oxygen sensor MAF etc. The app will only show you what the sensor sees so if the sensor is giving inaccurate information, that's what you'll get from the reader.

If you're tuning, I certainly wouldn't rely on anything other than a good mechanical boost gauge.

GOOD .......is the only operative word to use as i have had three different mech. boost guages and they all read about +7psi out even on idle -30mHg....also one reading up to +20psi the needle will not go over but it hits a stop so you could be boosting 25!!!

I was getting pretty peed orff keep sending them back so opted for a Digital one which reads to calibrate and sets every time you start the engine.....quite handy also as it gives battery voltage for 20secs before it goes over to boost mode.

Avoid "Aggressive Guages"

Also my Torque app. read 135 degrees on the coolant temp. and my temp. guage was normal with no fan going and it is a newish sensor!

Anyway i don`t bother with any reading etc. more to worry about!.......all the time it goes ok i leave alone except of course when adding more performance items...

M-R-P
Saturday 15th February 2014, 10:09
which digital gauge did you get Keith? Fed up with mime reading 20psi when it's clearly not lol.

960kg
Saturday 15th February 2014, 13:59
Got this one Martin.... (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Boost-Volt-Gauge-Bar-Psi-For-Fiat-Coupe-Turbo-/111278064653?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19e8b0840d)mine reads for psi, probably can get better but it is superb .....you get all the bits with pressure sensor etc. easy to fit......mine is wired to the light switch so i can interupt the voltage supply and the guage goes to battery condition or charging rate for 20 seconds before going back to boost condition......in otherwords you can see what the alternator is chucking out!.....with blower on or off or whatever!

R-200vi
Saturday 22nd February 2014, 00:31
Had a play around with the Torque app and set it up.. Got a few screen shots.

Hope that intake temp isnt right at 50C..
Fuel pressure is a bit far out.

Maybe i didn't set it up right.

Dream3r
Saturday 22nd February 2014, 00:47
Had a play around with the Torque app and set it up.. Got a few screen shots.

Hope that intake temp isnt right at 50C..
Fuel pressure is a bit far out.

Maybe i didn't set it up right.

Fuel pressure looks normal to me!

IAT will be right, looking at your AFR your car was in full component protection mode there.

On your photo the MAF and load readings are made up, the rest will be correct.

Harvey
Saturday 22nd February 2014, 07:46
Just asking, I can remember seeing a reader that used a AV out signal so you could use a in car screen, anyone knows if you can still get it.

Harvey
Saturday 22nd February 2014, 07:49
meant only as a compliment mate, I've been following your shenanigans with considerable interest.

:)

Me to it a very good read indeed.

R-200vi
Sunday 23rd February 2014, 12:53
Fuel pressure looks normal to me!

IAT will be right, looking at your AFR your car was in full component protection mode there.

On your photo the MAF and load readings are made up, the rest will be correct.

So your say the fuel pressure is reading right? That's 5.2 bar.
why would it be in component protection mode ?

Dream3r
Sunday 23rd February 2014, 13:28
So your say the fuel pressure is reading right? That's 5.2 bar.
why would it be in component protection mode ?

Yes it's correct. Component protection mode adds fuel to cool the cylinder walls, look at your AFR.