PDA

View Full Version : Snap, crackle and pop

bjpub
Wednesday 5th February 2014, 11:52
Hi everybody, moving things on to get the car up and running , been in garage since Octoberish battery totally flat put charger on this morning, snap , crackle, pop coming from front of engine bay not been mechanically minded is this normal !!!!!

abdul
Wednesday 5th February 2014, 12:01
No check if any pipes are loose

bjpub
Wednesday 5th February 2014, 12:16
Not started car yet , just started to make noise when charger went on

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 5th February 2014, 13:03
condensation on battery, or are the leads on tightly? 'popping' sounds like it could be electricity arching to me

silverhorse
Wednesday 5th February 2014, 13:29
Could also be knackered battery and when you are passing a charge through it, it is giving off VERY nasty gas. Did exactly this on my caravan battery and nearly poisoned myself. If there is a rotton egg smell, batt is dead. You MUST ventilate your garage when batt is on charge.

M-R-P
Wednesday 5th February 2014, 13:31
condensation on battery, or are the leads on tightly? 'popping' sounds like it could be electricity arching to me

Could also be knackered battery and when you are passing a charge through it, it is giving off VERY nasty gas. Did exactly this on my caravan battery and nearly poisoned myself. If there is a rotton egg smell, batt is dead. You MUST ventilate your garage when batt is on charge.

Noise from the front of the engine bay....

Battery in the boot...

My guess is it's not the battery :D

M-R-P
Wednesday 5th February 2014, 13:32
However, it could be the ETM twitching. The ME7 seems to run some sort of diagnostic on the throttle when you power it up.

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 5th February 2014, 13:38
you put the jump leads onto the power point under the bonnet, so it could be a poor contact or condensation on that causing the arching ........ :hug:

bjpub
Wednesday 5th February 2014, 14:46
However, it could be the ETM twitching. The ME7 seems to run some sort of diagnostic on the throttle when you power it up.

Thats were the sound was coming from its stopped now , thanks

silverhorse
Wednesday 5th February 2014, 15:29
Noise from the front of the engine bay....

Battery in the boot...

My guess is it's not the battery :D

LOL, I'll get me coat!!

M-R-P
Wednesday 5th February 2014, 15:29
Put the ignition in position 2 with the bonnet open, see if it does it again...
That'll confirm it either way :)

Harvey
Wednesday 5th February 2014, 15:58
If the battery is at 0 volts the network will wake up when the 12 volt supply is attached.
Leave it on charge for the battery to come back up 24-26 hours with a trickle charger.
Just close the doors ,boot lock unlock and all should be well.
The noise could have been the brake servo vac pump working as it would have lost vac over a couple of days I guess.
Not sure but did you have the key in position 2 when you put the charge on as if the battery was a 0 volts would this be the same as changing the battery ?.

siamblue
Wednesday 5th February 2014, 20:59
You need an optimate battery charger,this will bring the battery back to life with different stages of charging..

Harvey
Wednesday 5th February 2014, 21:32
You need an optimate battery charger,this will bring the battery back to life with different stages of charging..

If the battery is very flat it can take a high amp charge to start the charge as it can be all most a short for a 5 amp charger.
They are a good charger if you want to leave it on charge long term,I do have one as well,that I put on the S60 one day every two weeks works for me.