PDA

View Full Version : Fuel - try this for a panic attack.

Goof
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 14:44
Let's not start another fuel debate, but if you fancy 150 miles of wondering what's up with your T5 try this:-

Run 2 or 3 tanks of your local supermarket/Jet/other scabby brand "95RON" - all might feel OK if a little lethargic but you get used to it.

Fill up with BP Ultimate and after 10 miles or so your T5 might seem real lazy. I even convinced myself that the turbo was coming in later and was poss a knacker!
For the remaining first half a tankful keep thinking of what you're going to do with the old lady (T5 ;)), still wondering what else could be wrong and where to start looking...
When you start to get into the second half of the tank the old girl perks up and continues like a train, even better than ever before maybe?!!!

The above happened to me - I can laugh now, but at the time I was picking the next car! (even considered a di*sel!).
I wasn't using "supermarket" fuel totally out of choice - just got a bit lazy to make a special journey to BP / Shell. It won't happen again!

arbee
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 20:38
might be the ecu taking its time to adjust to the new octane rating... i have never noticed any difference between ultimate and tesco tbh...

Al115
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 22:50
might be the ecu taking its time to adjust to the new octane rating... i have never noticed any difference between ultimate and tesco tbh...

OK - is your car tuned at all? On the stock T5s you will (probably) notice a difference between the high and low octane fuels, on the tuned ones you DEFINITELY will :)

arbee
Friday 4th November 2005, 04:52
OK - is your car tuned at all? On the stock T5s you will (probably) notice a difference between the high and low octane fuels, on the tuned ones you DEFINITELY will :)
My current car isn't no but it is a turbo which i know normally respond better to the higher octane fuels. When the T5 come I'll defo give it a go on super/ultimate :)

Goof
Friday 4th November 2005, 14:36
It has been to Bromsgrove ;) - I was expecting the ECU to take a while to adjust, it's just the feeling of "lazy turbo" had me worried!
All ok now and as fit as ever!

t5 stealth
Friday 25th November 2005, 22:12
i am reading your thread & i thought id just mention that i heard about the tesco super unleaded fuel {99octane} so i stuck £20.00 worth in the tank to see what its all about,
i have to say that the car seems a bit more lively,
its very responsive anyway but it seems better,unfortunatly with the cold weather its hard to decide if its the cold dense air being jammed down the t5s throat or the fuel,will have to see how it goes when its warmer weather,
but its definatly not minding it