PDA

View Full Version : LED indicator, brake

awalle
Sunday 2nd February 2014, 04:44
Has anyone tried replacing the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs on a 2002 S60? Are there shunts available with different resistances (Best option)? or has anyone tried (successfully!) to drill a hole in the shunt in a way similar to the Xenon solution (http:/xenonvalot.com).

Brake lights - RSH6
Tail lights - RSH4 & RSH5
Indicator/Warning - CSH1 & CSH2

I would like to stay away from adding bypass resistors.

Albert..

silverhorse
Sunday 2nd February 2014, 09:14
Hi Albert.
welcome to the forum mate.
I looked in to this last year. It is do-able but it is a pain in the backside and fraught with risk. All these 'Error Free' LED's that are advertised seem to be a waste of time.
I suppose that as nobody on here (that I know of) has them speaks volumes!

M-R-P
Sunday 2nd February 2014, 09:42
I've looked into it and worked out that load resistors is the way to go.
should be relatively cheap to do too as you can solder some oW resistors directly to the pcb in the light cluster.
I just can't be bothered.

mikealder
Sunday 2nd February 2014, 12:24
You can add the lead resistors to the wiring anywhere downstream of the current sensing shunt in the REM the resistors certainly don't have to go in the light clusters and I wouldn't bother with LEDs that have integral resistors as they will get hot.

The ohmic value needed for the resistors is easy to calculate (I can post up instructions on how to calculate this if you want) for the power handling side of the resistor stick to metal clad 25W as they are easy to mount.

To be honest the easy way to add the resistors would be to solder/ splice in to the wiring on the back of the REM directly after the shunt connection points then attach the resistors close to the REM with the other side of each resistor connected to ground.

All the lower power lights (front, rear and side) of my V70 are all LED, only headlights and front fog lights are bulbs, each lighting circuit had load resistors fitted with no issues - Mike