PDA

View Full Version : S40 - low boost (0.4bar at full throttle).

JUDGENINJA
Friday 31st January 2014, 19:14
Maybe someone can help and the fault (if it is a fault at all). It may not be S40 specific as it may just be a basic fitting fault by me..

I piped up the S40 with everything transferred from the V40. Car runs OK, but the car seems a bit sluggish.
The car has a boost gauge fitted and reads -0.8bar on idle, around -0.5bar when slow cruising, but when I put my foot down the car only reaches +0.4bar.... I was expecting around 0.7-0.8.

The car is on the 14T from the V40 so I would expect this to be OK..

Maybe the boost pipework is backwards on the BCS..??.

Anyone got a better image with the BCS with the connectors top, side and bottom..

Anyone got the link for Actuator testing?

Any other ideas..?

Maybe I'll ring the oracle(Smithy) for a correct diagnosis...

Jamest5r
Friday 31st January 2014, 19:50
Maybe someone can help and the fault (if it is a fault at all). It may not be S40 specific as it may just be a basic fitting fault by me..

I piped up the S40 with everything transferred from the V40. Car runs OK, but the car seems a bit sluggish.
The car has a boost gauge fitted and reads -0.8bar on idle, around -0.5bar when slow cruising, but when I put my foot down the car only reaches +0.4bar.... I was expecting around 0.7-0.8.

The car is on the 14T from the V40 so I would expect this to be OK..

Maybe the boost pipework is backwards on the BCS..??.

Anyone got a better image with the BCS with the connectors top, side and bottom..

Anyone got the link for Actuator testing?

Any other ideas..?

Maybe I'll ring the oracle(Smithy) for a correct diagnosis...

Smithy is at the services stuffing his face with either kfc or bk lol go on disturb him :)

siamblue
Friday 31st January 2014, 20:45
You are more than welcome to come over and test swap bits over from my V40 Wayne,sounds put it back to the way it was and see how it runs,..

JUDGENINJA
Friday 31st January 2014, 21:16
Thanks Gary - if I can't get an image, then it could be an option..

I'm sure it is probably the pipework the wrong way round, so it could be a bit of trial and error tomorrow.

siamblue
Friday 31st January 2014, 21:20
Thanks Gary - if I can't get an image, then it could be an option..

I'm sure it is probably the pipework the wrong way round, so it could be a bit of trial and error tomorrow.

That's ok Wayne,i did make up a tester for adjusting the actuator on my 70 series,not sure where it is but they are easy to make,i used a bike pump,old boost gauge a t piece and some rubber hose.

JUDGENINJA
Friday 31st January 2014, 21:29
Do you know where the link is. I've seen it, but now can't find it.

960kg
Sunday 2nd February 2014, 11:53
Do you know where the link is. I've seen it, but now can't find it.

LINKY................ (http://www.volvotuning.net/topic/4770-basic-wastegate-adjustment/)

Also from the pic. you can see the correct colour coding for your BCS....this is T4

.................................................. .......

AndysR
Sunday 2nd February 2014, 21:13
Sounds like a BCS fault or it's incorrectly plumbed in... Looks like you've already worked that bit out though...

JUDGENINJA
Monday 3rd February 2014, 19:37
THANKS ALL.... Yep BCS (TCV as it is officially called) was plumbed backwards.

Car pulling at a lovely 0.8bar today..

Next - Brakes, before I trust MRP (or MRP trusts it either) with it on Saturday (assuming the Yellow one is back together). Looks like a full disc/pad and bleed required.

S40 seems very planted, with good suspension. There is a small rotational click which if I was pessimistic I would guess a CV joint is on its way out.

JUDGENINJA
Monday 3rd February 2014, 20:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw_BMStIMK8

siamblue
Monday 3rd February 2014, 20:44
THANKS ALL.... Yep BCS (TCV as it is officially called) was plumbed backwards.

Car pulling at a lovely 0.8bar today..

Next - Brakes, before I trust MRP (or MRP trusts it either) with it on Saturday (assuming the Yellow one is back together). Looks like a full disc/pad and bleed required.

S40 seems very planted, with good suspension. There is a small rotational click which if I was pessimistic I would guess a CV joint is on its way out.

It was lucky you plumbed it in that way,i plumbed my S70 T5 in the wrong way round and it full boosted at Avon Park and bent 4 of the 5 rods..

Slomo
Monday 3rd March 2014, 14:08
very nice... I will def need your help in getting my T4 to run better...

But that is next months project for me..... :)

JUDGENINJA
Monday 3rd March 2014, 18:42
No problem..

Haizum74
Monday 3rd March 2014, 21:43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw_BMStIMK8

I dont know why but that vid made me chuckle, I thought it was going to be longer and it just stopped ;-)

JUDGENINJA
Monday 3rd March 2014, 22:44
Yep.... Short and sweet!!