PDA

View Full Version : DICE owner, please help!!

LeeT5
Friday 31st January 2014, 12:45
Hi guys and gals.

I'm after a massive favour. I believe my DICE unit to be faulty. I know my software is fine but after running a DICE hardware test, it failed to communicate with USB. Two of the four lights will not light. Only problem is, I have no way of testing it!
So, would anyone with a known working DICE be prepared to post me their DICE unit so I can plug it in to my car and see if it's the DICE or the CAR?
I also have a BSR code reader and that communicates perfectly with the car, so somethings not right.

I know its a big ask and I will cover all your postage. Otherwise, I will need to buy a new unit for £100. Its over a year old so out of warranty. :hail:

jdavis
Friday 31st January 2014, 19:08
whats the status of VIDA on the icon in the taskbar? i had a problem that sounds similar to yours and it was it was still loading as soon as it said running it connected fine.
if you were local you could try mine but don't fancy sending mine through the post, sorry.

deathrider311271
Friday 31st January 2014, 19:20
Lee has there been any sort of update done on your software?? if so you will need to update the dice software as well.

The other thing it could be is your laptop has a virus, i had to do a factory reset on mine to get rid of the virus, non of my defence ware even detected it but once everything was reinstalled it worked fine

silverhorse
Friday 31st January 2014, 21:39
Agree with Deathrider Lee. Try uninstalling and then a reinstall. This happened to mine and after a reinstall, all was good.

silverhorse
Saturday 1st February 2014, 08:34
Just another thought as well Lee,

has your laptop updated itself to Internet Explorer 10? Mine did and I found that ViDA would not work with it, so I had to uninstall 10 and reinstall 9. Might be worth a look.............

LeeT5
Saturday 1st February 2014, 11:10
Lee has there been any sort of update done on your software?? if so you will need to update the dice software as well.

The other thing it could be is your laptop has a virus, i had to do a factory reset on mine to get rid of the virus, non of my defence ware even detected it but once everything was reinstalled it worked fine

My laptop does not have a virus. I only use it to connect to my car and I did a clean install last year.

Just another thought as well Lee,

has your laptop updated itself to Internet Explorer 10? Mine did and I found that ViDA would not work with it, so I had to uninstall 10 and reinstall 9. Might be worth a look.............

Interesting. I don't use Internet explorer as a rule only Firefox. I know that VIDA uses IE so I will check what version is on and try IE9.

Thanks for your reply's guys.

deathrider311271
Saturday 1st February 2014, 11:28
[QUOTE=LeeT5;686057]My laptop does not have a virus. I only use it to connect to my car and I did a clean install last year.

Yep same is my laptop yet it still had a virus

LeeT5
Saturday 1st February 2014, 11:44

The DICE doesn't have its own software, it's a hardware device that requires software on the laptop to communicate. So it shouldn't matter if I have updated the software or not! Otherwise, the Main dealers would be in the same boat. Every time Volvo bring out new VIDA software the ALL the Volvo dealerships across the world would have to replace the DICE units. Clearly that doesn't happen.

deathrider311271
Saturday 1st February 2014, 11:47
The DICE doesn't have its own software, it's a hardware device that requires software on the laptop to communicate. So it shouldn't matter if I have updated the software or not! Otherwise, the Main dealers would be in the same boat. Every time Volvo bring out new VIDA software the ALL the Volvo dealerships across the world would have to replace the DICE units. Clearly that doesn't happen.

im not being funny mate but your wrong there, i have updated the firmware on my DICE unit twice in 2 years, if you look in VIDA where you can test the DICE unit it will say UPDATE DICE UNIT

LeeT5
Saturday 1st February 2014, 11:54
im not being funny mate but your wrong there, i have updated the firmware on my DICE unit twice in 2 years, if you look in VIDA where you can test the DICE unit it will say UPDATE DICE UNIT

Ah, I didn't realise it had its own firmware. Is it possible to update it?

Harvey
Saturday 1st February 2014, 12:27
With my code reader, I also got a cheap laptop at the same time that is only used for this purpose,never linked it to the outside world.
But before I could get it to work had to wipe it and reinstall XP on it,but I did try for a week or two to get it running but gave up as it would just not run it.

deathrider311271
Saturday 1st February 2014, 13:28
Ah, I didn't realise it had its own firmware. Is it possible to update it?

yes you can, but you need an internet connection, when you connect the dice unit to vida where you test the connection with the dice unit there is a tab that says "update" click on this and make sure you have the latest firmware, mine was last updated about 4 months ago

LeeT5
Monday 3rd February 2014, 19:49
yes you can, but you need an internet connection, when you connect the dice unit to vida where you test the connection with the dice unit there is a tab that says "update" click on this and make sure you have the latest firmware, mine was last updated about 4 months ago

Does it need to be connected to the car when you update? Internet connection is not a problem. I'm so not convinced that it will work, but I will try!! Thankyou.

Thanatos
Monday 3rd February 2014, 21:13
yes as it needs power to update the firmware now you can do it out the car with the power adapter but most of the the time its easier in the car the new .mot (firmware) is also in the default location for the version of Vida you are running

LeeT5
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 15:37
whats the status of VIDA on the icon in the taskbar? i had a problem that sounds similar to yours and it was it was still loading as soon as it said running it connected fine.
if you were local you could try mine but don't fancy sending mine through the post, sorry.

The status on mine is running.
I still cannot communicate.

Thanatos
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 17:13
have you tried using a different usb cable as all you need to do is unscrew the top replace the cable with a straight one and see what happens

LeeT5
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 18:57
have you tried using a different usb cable as all you need to do is unscrew the top replace the cable with a straight one and see what happens

USB cable works fine, it communicates with the PC, just not with the car.

LeeT5
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 19:00
Here's the fault:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/IMG_1996_zpsc4fdfbd4.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/LeeT5/media/IMG_1996_zpsc4fdfbd4.jpg.html)

It passes the 'LED test', 'Communication test', 'memory test' but not the 'Interface test'.

I also updated the firmware. Not sure if it's the latest but it was the only one available in the folder with the VIDA software. It was a .MOT file.
It successfully updated and has made no difference.

jdavis
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 19:17
i think you may have a dead DiCE mate

LeeT5
Tuesday 11th February 2014, 20:12
That's what I'm hoping! Someone on the forum has very kindly allowed me to borrow their DICE so hopefully I will update this thread when I know.

LeeT5
Saturday 1st March 2014, 04:04
Tried another (known working) DICE. Same symptoms. No difference.

silverhorse
Saturday 1st March 2014, 09:23
Tried another (known working) DICE. Same symptoms. No difference.

Bugg3r. :frown:
I sense a wallet lightening session coming on.

jdavis
Saturday 1st March 2014, 18:36
Is the .net Framework version correct? If I remember right it needs to be 3.5.
Also have you checked the USB port with something else?
Any one near you that can use your dice on their Vida?

LeeT5
Monday 3rd March 2014, 00:46
Is the .net Framework version correct? If I remember right it needs to be 3.5.
Also have you checked the USB port with something else?
Any one near you that can use your dice on their Vida?

Mmmm, interesting. Well I don't know about .net framework Ver, but I can tell you that it was all working fine before xmas and the laptop then had ALL the latest windows 7 updates installed, which I'm assuming will mean the latest Version of .net Framework. That is version 4.5 (I think). So, I can't see how that would affect it?
All the USB ports work fine.
No - to local request (or they're all hiding!).

960kg
Monday 3rd March 2014, 09:16
I haven`t read all the posts but Vida wil only work on Windows XP 32bit or Windows 7 Professional as this uses both XP or 7 at 32bit or 64bit

It will not run in Windows 7 Premium in compatability mode either only the earlier Vadis will!

Manufacturers only seem to use the older XP 32bit .....Vauxhall do as well as i can`t load there`s to run.

You can load winXP onto the other portion of the drive that the main OS is on and then load Vida.

It is best to let Vida have it`s own stand alone computer/laptop with it`s own working OS if used just for motor problems.

Also one has to use IE8 or Google Chrome or Firefox.........and this is the main culprit ...if Windows update has allowed IE9 or IE10 to be loaded even though you use Firefox or the others IE9 will not allow Vida or Vadis to run because of its`s components are loaded on the computer......One has to Delete IE9 or IE10 completely to allow Vida/Vadis to be used. The programs may load on 32bit but the functions or options will not open.

This all may help or it may not!.............Good Luck.