PDA

View Full Version : Is Geartronic any cop??

Daniel B
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 12:50
Guys,
noticing a LOT of the newer style V70's have geartronic.

Apologies for the numpty question, but is it any good, and how does it work?

Is it the same as a full auto, or is it either manual or geartronic?

By the way, I am a devoted Manual transmission bod, so am not looking for a traditional auto.

Cheers

Dan

Al115
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 12:51
Is Geartronic any cop?

No. :)

Andrew
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 12:59
I believe it has adaptive learning which means it can be odd.

We have it on our mini and I have to get the learning reset at least once a year cos it picks up bad habbits causing judder.

Daniel B
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 13:06
Bugger, ok sounds like one to avoid then....!

Thanks

Dan

Al115
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 13:09
I should clarify... if you just want to use the car to drive around and don't care too much then I think it would be perfectly adequate. My experiences suggest that it falls short on performance by quite a long way.

Daniel B
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 13:14
I should clarify... if you just want to use the car to drive around and don't care too much then I think it would be perfectly adequate. My experiences suggest that it falls short on performance by quite a long way.

I'm more concerned with the driving experienced, and I know if that's diluted at all, I won't be happy with it.

Only reason I asked, is that on AT when you search, if you specify 'Manual' as a key word, it reduces your results by about 80%.

Manuals are still out there, so not a biggy.

Cheers

Dan

lance
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 13:14
Given the choice I would have Manual or a normal auto over geartronic.

Al115
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 13:24
To give you an idea of the difference geartronic can make - my manual Phase 1 car when stock (except for exhaust and intake) was quicker than a chipped geartronic Phase 2 on the 1/4 mile.

If you care about the driving experience then I would say you are right to avoid the geatronics.

lance
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 14:11
True mine was quicker too,
I had an s80 T6, in second gear would hit 100 mph but it would never hold 3rd and just go straight to 4th. The box was stripped down with no mechanic faults just a conflicted computer system. The S80 4 speed geartronic was controlled by 3 of 18 computers.

philt6
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 17:11
i've had no problems with the Geartronic in mine,in manual or auto

S60D5
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 17:20
My local main dealer warned me off the geartronic and said it was (quote) a bit pants (unquote)

akky
Tuesday 6th June 2006, 15:29
I'm doing some research and was looking at the geartronic and am slowly getting put off, seeing v8guitar had to have a replacment and that an unchipped manual t5 was quicker than a chipped geartronic. Having read somewhere else about the possibility of the geartronic software needing a bit of attention has anyone esle heard about this. Maybe it would make up the differeence.

I defo need auto for missus, but would prefer a manual for me, so geartronic seems better. However, if the std autobox is defo better than the geartronic then i might as well just stay auto.....

too many choices, anyone got a moggy minor.....

Steve

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 6th June 2006, 16:25
Having driven a couple now - I wasnt all that impressed TBH. Fine if you want to cruise about - but there was lag on changes in geartronic mode and progress was slower for sure.

I really liked my 855R auto - the switchable auto really moved well.

mickys60t5
Tuesday 6th June 2006, 16:41
Guys,

By the way, I am a devoted Manual transmission bod, so am not looking for a traditional auto.

Cheers

Dan

hi i have geartronic and i have no probs casual driving or performance driving works ok at least youi have a choice and it depends on how you drive:B_steerin

lance
Tuesday 6th June 2006, 16:43
Yeah I feel all geartronic and tiptronics are a step backwards from a good auto box with switchable modes.
I feel in a few more years it wont be the mechanicals that put cars in scrap yards or rust it will be complicated electronic systems

dreadly
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 08:40
My S60 Geartronic is annoying...

Auto mode is perfect, it shifts on time and smoothly, however there is noticable lag when using manual mode, it almost makes it unusable.

I have been told that there may be a software update though.

Anthmurphy
Thursday 8th June 2006, 00:06
I have no problems with my Geartronic T5 but it takes time to master the manual mode, for example for the best performance i change up a gear about a second quicker than i would in a manual ( i have driven a manual t5 btw) and so by the time the change has completed you wont have over revved and lost power.
It takes some practice to get the timing right but once you do the gear change is as quick as it would be manualy in my opinion.

I think people used to driving a manual are often unimpressd with Geartronic because they shift up at the point they would have in a manual expecting a instant gear change but once you learn to time it right its quite rewarding.

philt6
Friday 9th June 2006, 09:34
I have no problems with my Geartronic T5 but it takes time to master the manual mode, for example for the best performance i change up a gear about a second quicker than i would in a manual ( i have driven a manual t5 btw) and so by the time the change has completed you wont have over revved and lost power.
It takes some practice to get the timing right but once you do the gear change is as quick as it would be manualy in my opinion.

I think people used to driving a manual are often unimpressd with Geartronic because they shift up at the point they would have in a manual expecting a instant gear change but once you learn to time it right its quite rewarding.
In total agreement with you it is just a case of getting used to the difference from manual

MacXC60T5
Monday 12th June 2006, 22:22
Guys,

Cheers

Dan

Sorry for the next comment but had 3 V70 T5,s & 2 S80 T6;s all with Geartronic and they were all CRAP I did not realize how crappy they were till January 06 when I purchased my latest V70 T5 SE Manual. The Geartronic is great if your over 65 and want to drive like a pussy. Me I am only 64 LOL.

philt6
Thursday 22nd June 2006, 18:41
Sorry for the next comment but had 3 V70 T5,s & 2 S80 T6;s all with Geartronic and they were all CRAP I did not realize how crappy they were till January 06 when I purchased my latest V70 T5 SE Manual. The Geartronic is great if your over 65 and want to drive like a pussy. Me I am only 64 LOL.
If they were all that bad how come you had 5 Different ones?

Engineer
Thursday 22nd June 2006, 20:22

Slow learner lol. :)

TomS60
Thursday 22nd June 2006, 22:51
Hey guys,

Ive recently bought an S60 T5 geartronic (my first auto) having changed from an S70 manual, and i fully agree that its not as involving as a manual, however in agreement with earlier on in this thread, you learn to shift up just before you would in a manual, and it is very rewarding.

...however....I find that in geartronic mode im even more tempted to thrash it and most likely lose my liscence!!! haha, so tend to leave it in standard auto mode most of the time!!

But to summarise, I would much rather have the geartronic over the normal auto as occasionally I do feel the need to get more hands on, and although not 100% manual I can have some say in where the car revs to.

cheers,

Tom

simonc
Friday 7th July 2006, 20:12
Will be buying an 03/04 plate V70R in the next month or so as i'm converted to Volvo estates after having an old 850R auto for a couple of years, you just can't beat them for a family car with space & performance. The stats read geartronic 0-60 7.7 secs manual 0-60 5.9secs is this right because thats a hell of a difference, my wife & i much prefer auto for everyday driving & i have a dedicated track car in my garage so get my kicks from that. Any comments as thats quite a big difference.

Thanks Simon.

Al115
Saturday 8th July 2006, 01:23
Yes it is realistic, yes the geartronics really are that much slower, yes stick to a manual :)

MacXC60T5
Monday 10th July 2006, 00:46
Guys,

Cheers

Dan
NO AND NO AGAIN GO MAN GO LOL
had 2 Geartronic T5,s 2 Geartronic S80 T6's Now on 3rd T5 and its Manual. I would never buy a Geartronic again. Unless I can,nt manage to change gear when older

pdwb
Monday 10th July 2006, 11:07
i have an s60 t5 geartronic on a Y plate...... i find when left in auto mode it hunts up and down depending on your revs and if you use cruise it gets a bit messy when changing the speed with the button on the steering wheel so always leave it in 5th on motorway. as for the changing up and down, it took a few days but you just learn to push the stick about 1000rpm when flying before you wanted to change. when racing up the motorway i always move the stick up at about 5500 and it moves at about 6500.....if you wait till it nears the red line you find yourself bouncing off the rev limiter for a second or 2 which cant be good.......... this is my first auto..... think i would prefer manule but then i would also prefer rear wheel drive but i aint gona buy a bmw............the big question i do need an answer to is i want to chip mine with the rica 310bhp chip..... can the auto box take that power if it already has a panic attack when changing under pressure as it is with only 250bhp.........

MacXC60T5
Wednesday 12th July 2006, 11:16
The reason was I had them was the price the T6's were so cheap and even today was offered a 2003 T6 30k for 11 grand, was tempted but did,nt. Can understand your reply and comment. I ran the T6 at Wellsbourne 1/4 and must admit the geartronic box performed well. but for normal road driving I prefer the manual.

akky
Sunday 16th July 2006, 20:31
I've had geartronic for a week now and am not yet bored of it.

I've noticed that if you switch over into manual mode doing about 30-40 the box still appears to be in '4th' which probably accounts sometimes the autos do a lot worse mpg.

Other than that it seems ok, like to use it on motorway when in auto mode and soem boy racer in a astra or somthing comes up real near, flick into manual mode, drop a gear or 2 and leave him behind.

Steve

dreadly
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 13:39
I had my S60 T5 Geartronic flashed with the latest software from Vovlo under warrenty last week, The car is a completely different beast now.
Gearchanges are smoother and quicker, engine is smoother, starts easier.

It has re-ignited my faith in the geartronic and the dealer did say he knew of software issues with the geartronic...

TomS60
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 18:44
I had my S60 T5 Geartronic flashed with the latest software from Vovlo under warrenty last week, The car is a completely different beast now.
Gearchanges are smoother and quicker, engine is smoother, starts easier.

It has re-ignited my faith in the geartronic and the dealer did say he knew of software issues with the geartronic...

What year is yours? mine is a 2001 on a 51 plate. Would the software update make any difference on my car..ie the gear changes are quicker etc etc.

cheers,

Tom

dreadly
Tuesday 18th July 2006, 18:48
What year is yours? mine is a 2001 on a 51 plate. Would the software update make any difference on my car..ie the gear changes are quicker etc etc.

cheers,

Tom

Mine is a 2003 on a '03' plate - this was 'out of date' so I suspect yours is well out of date.