PDA

View Full Version : woohoo! I've joined the club!

arbee
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 11:26
Well, Its official.... I can now visit this site with some real purpose...

Had a look at my new baby yesterday, wont pick it up till early next week so no pics yet....

The gen:

yes its a T5

yes its an 850

yes its an estate

yes its a T5-R!

yes yes its a GUL!

yes yes YES its a manual!!!!!

am, I chuffed or am I chuffed.

Pics to follow as and when....

Murphy
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 11:29
Good man - i will await the pics with baited breath !

Andrew
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 11:52
Erm it's not LPG is it :P

Mrsmopp
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 12:36
Congrats on the new addition!!! How did the test drive go (I'm going on the assumption that you test drove it)?

Keep us updated!

x

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 12:36
Well done - What's the mileage and do you have plans?

arbee
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 13:25
erm, no its not LPG! I didnt actually drive it myself, I wasnt insured and I didn't want to put the seller in that awkward position. He drove and I, mean showed me its true colours! I love the way on tickover its pretty quiet but drop it a cog and floor it, that noise! the induction, the exhaust - sounds fantastic! I had a good read of previous advice you guys have given to buyers and it was very useful indeed - thanks. Checked everything twice it seemed -all the normal stuff and all the T5 specific stuff too. It has just over 100k, not too bad at all and a decent history.

It has two things that need doing. Firstly, the day before I went to see it, the owner clipped a low wall with the front splitter. Has flaked the paint but the bumper is not cracked at all. Needs repainting - not too expensive. Secondly - and this is the unknown - it has a small looking oil leak. I couldn't pin point it but obviously this could be expensive-ish. Wheels could do with a refurb to make mint but livable as they are. odd small paint chip as to be expected. Overall - really pleased :) Only plans at the moment are to get it looking mint and sort out the leak. Keeping it OE :) - for now ;)

Got a good price and obviously knocked it down a bit for the obvious paintwork damage. chuffed!

One last thing, the stereo does not have the CD changer - it is a tape model which can control a changer if fitted. I did read somewhere that all T5-Rs had the 3 disc in dash and boot changer, anyone confirm or otherwise?

Thanks for the comments!

Mrsmopp
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 13:28
One last thing, the stereo does not have the CD changer - it is a tape model which can control a changer if fitted. I did read somewhere that all T5-Rs had the 3 disc in dash and boot changer, anyone confirm or otherwise?

Thanks for the comments!

They were supposed to but this isn't the first T5R I have heard of that has just a tape player.

Well done on finding a low mileage example ;)

x

Andrew
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 13:33
Mine came with just a tape player. Had to put a 6 disc changer in the back. Don't confuse the T-5R with the later S/C/V70R models which all came with 3 cd built into the main unit.

arbee
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 14:05
Will probably rip the head unit out tbh and pop in my old head unit. I'm quite into my ICE, have already spied the floor compartment in the boot - it was made for an amplifier or two methinks! I was just curious to see if it was original spec, sounds like it was... just out of interest which company makes the Volvo head units? had read somewhere it was alpine? does the tape unit as per mine have a pre amp output at all?

Martinr
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 14:09
So where is this oil leak then?

arbee
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 14:14
So where is this oil leak then?

I couldnt really see for sure as i didn't really know what I was looking at being unfamilar with the engine. There were no visable signs from the engine bay but its finding its way to the bottom of the engine and making a small damp area towards the middle/rear of the engine. I'll have a proper look when its up on ramps/stands when i get it home. clean it up and do the 'talc' test lol

Martinr
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 14:38
Three usual suspects;

1. The seal on the oil filler cap hardens due to the heat generated in the engine bay. Oil leaks past this can find its way down the back of the engine. Usually there is a small pool of oil visible when the spark plug cover ( the thing marked Volvo 20 valve) is removed. Easy job parts a couple of quid from a dealer, 10 minutes.

2. Turbo oil return pipe. The seals on these are prone to go and there will be oil on the back of the engine on the right hand side when viewed from the front. Relatively easy to do if you have the facilities as parts are cheap, about £25/30 if a garage gets involved. 30 minutes tops.

3. End crankshaft oil seal. This is the biggie. Early oil seals are attacked by elements in the oil and are prone to failure. This is progressive and starts as a small leak and develops in a short time to one which will soak the underside of the car. At this point it should be sorted before a more catastrophic failure occurs. This will also be evident on the bottom right hand side of the engine (when viewed from front). Fixing requires removal of gearbox and is a big job with a book time of 6.25 hours. (Work this out yourself at approx £60 hr at a reputable garage). The oil seal itself is only a couple of quid. If it is this then you should have the clutch changed at the same time. If you don't you will only be going over the same ground later and it is possible the clutch plates could be contaminated. Fingers crossed it is not this but mine had all three at a similar mileage.

If it isn't a private sale did you get a warranty and if so check if it covers the last point.

One last thing, as it is now colder checking the operation and efficiency of the air conditioning is a little more difficult. Make sure when idling that the compressor cuts in and stays in for at least 20/30 seconds. If it doesn't system needs regassing which may be covering up other faults. Plenty of threads on this. Use search facility.

I hope that the car will be a good one and that you will get a lot of enjoyment from it, believe me I am not trying to rain on your parade :) I wish I had had the benefit of this advice before I bought mine as I could have saved a few bob. Next time though....

All the best.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 14:57
What he said :stupid:

splatt
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 15:03
Excellent.....2 T5-R's in Essex... :) ....

Vikingxl
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 15:31
good luck with the new toy hope it all goes well

arbee
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 15:47
Martin, thanks for the advice, really appreciated :) the car has recently had oil cooler pipes replaced and has had the oil filler cap replaced also (as both were leaking). When you say the oil return pipes do you mean from the cooler (as replaced)? The damp patch on the underside is pretty small at the moment but I will be certainly looking at it when i get it home. I had done a lot of reading beforehand and was aware of the potential crankshaft seal expense - If it does need the 'box out I wont be too concerned as the price was pretty good to allow for it - rather it wasn't that tho obviously! What are the chances of it burning oil as well as leaking?

It was a private sale so no warranty....

Oh and the air con is super cold, has been regassed within the last year :)

Splatt - where are you mate? I'm in Harlow - land of the roundabouts lol

dicky b t5
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 15:50
Nice one Arbee...Would still love a gul myself (and a few more peeps on here)

Oil leak..! My money's on the Turbo return pipe..Fingers crossed...

Martinr
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 16:05
Turbo is fed oil directly to lubricate and cool it due to its high operating temperatures. Once it has done its job the oil needs to return to the system.

On the bottom of the turbo unit there is a return pipe to take the oil back to the sump, this is a low pressure system It is not related to the oil cooler which is mounted in front of the engine along with radiator, intercooler and aircon condensor and receives oil under pressure from the pump.

Turbo return seals consist of an oval paper gasket and a circular seal about 12/14 mm dia. This leak is annoying more than anything else I believe.

It is possible to burn oil either due to faulty turbo seals, (blue smoke in quantity evident under boost), or via the valve guides, (usually indicated by a small bit of blue smoke when starting up for first time when car has stood) and of course in common with other engines from worn rings. The latter would be unusual on a low mileage example like yours :).

I get a little smoke occasionally on start up if car has stood. However, the oil has not moved on the dip stick in 3000 miles so an insignificant ammount is being burned.

Since fixing leaks the oil consumption has been first rate. I change oil and filter every 5K but don't drive like a loony in between!!

Good news on the aircon front.

arbee
Thursday 3rd November 2005, 20:33
Martin you're a star, cheers. I know my way 'round a vauxhall 2.0 turbo lump but still getting to grips with the t5! no blue smoke on start up, but admit didnt get the chance to rev it whilst watching the exhaust - fingers crossed the turbo will be fine tho.... The turbo is a completely separate unit then...? whereabouts in the engine bay? the inlet is furthest away from the front of the car if i remember rightly, and the outlet is at the front? I cant remember what i only saw yesterday! On my astra the turbo is built into the manifold, just wondered if its the same or not

arbee
Friday 4th November 2005, 05:29
Nice one Arbee...Would still love a gul myself (and a few more peeps on here)

Oil leak..! My money's on the Turbo return pipe..Fingers crossed...

dicky, you may well know the car, its from your neck of the woods :)

Martinr
Friday 4th November 2005, 09:33
Turbo is located at the rear of the engine bay on the exhaust manifold. It should be covered by a silver heat shield so you may not have noticed it.

Remove the heat shield and its' hard to miss it! Have heard of some who thought the air cleaner was the turbo unit because it has TURBO legend on it, (big black box right hand side by battery). Easy mistake to make if you never saw one before.

There were some pictures posted on here some time back of a turbo glowing orange after a 'brisk' run! Search for those and you will see the need for the heat shield.

Think the pipes you are referring to are those for the intercooler which sits at the front of the car and is sandwiched by the aircon condensor and the radiator.

Get yourself a Haynes and all will be clear.