PDA

View Full Version : D5 Engine System Service Required

volv
Tuesday 28th January 2014, 20:49
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone on here can shed some light on this problem.

It's a C30 D5 Auto

I had the car serviced at a local garage, two days later this message Engine System Service Required appeared 2 days later.

After already doing some research, i'm 90% sure that the problem lies with high oil level, as the D5 engines seem to be over sensitive. I gave the garage all the parts and 6 litres of oil (as stated in the handbook). Searching online various forums, posts etc. It appears that the engine would prefer it if there was around 5.5 - 5.7 litres of oil.

So I've siphoned some oil out to reduce the level to what I believe now to be around this level.

The message appeared 2 days later (70miles) after the service, from researching the internet, I have found out that the sensor uses sonar to measure the oil level and it will average out the reading over a period of time, without the averaging out the fault could appear on a numerous occasions for example the car hitting a bump in the road and giving an incorrect reading.

My main query here is this;

Will this message sort it self out in a few days once it has realised that the oil level has dropped?

or

Will I have to take it to Volvo and pay £60 to put it on a laptop to wipe the fault? Could any garage wipe the fault code, or does it have to be VIDA?

Thank you in advance

Harvey
Tuesday 28th January 2014, 21:25
Hi & welcome.

Do you have a sticker like this under the bonet someware ?.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/374f6943942384b080f71f90cd823510_zpsa668abd7.jpg

If the oil level is at the upper level (max) then just take it back to the workshop reset it as its there error.

volv
Tuesday 28th January 2014, 21:42
Hi & welcome.

Do you have a sticker like this under the bonet someware ?.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/374f6943942384b080f71f90cd823510_zpsa668abd7.jpg

If the oil level is at the upper level (max) then just take it back to the workshop reset it as its there error.

Thanks for the reply,

I don't have this sticker under the bonnet no, its a 2008 plate, not sure when those stickers where placed inside the bonnet.

Based on that sticker, after the service the oil was just off the maximum, over the recommended level.

I've already reduced the level of the oil, the issue now is the standing warning.

Harvey
Tuesday 28th January 2014, 21:45
Sorry don't know if a cheap code reader will or not.

volv
Tuesday 28th January 2014, 21:51
Thanks anyway, hopefully someone else has come across this before.