PDA

View Full Version : Best place for turbo copper washers...?

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 21st January 2014, 20:25
I bought a cheap box of was from Halford thinking that a box with random sizes would do, but no.....
I'm bolting up all the oil/water cooling pipes on the S40 so need to find the right size rings. I could pop to Volvo and guarantee to get the right sizes, but I shouldn't need to.
Easy question for the knowledgeable, are the washer sizes taken from the internal or external sizes?

T5frankie
Tuesday 21st January 2014, 20:29
i bought the same washers and their is a size in that box that fits perfectly on a t5 anyway

Harvey
Tuesday 21st January 2014, 20:34
i bought the same washers and their is a size in that box that fits perfectly on a t5 anyway

Do they do a Imperial set and metric set ?.

Just looked on screwfix site.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/copper-washers-copper-470-pieces/18756

http://www.screwfix.com/p/heavy-washers-copper-pack-of-800/32406

JT
Tuesday 21st January 2014, 20:37
I bought a cheap box of was from Halford thinking that a box with random sizes would do, but no.....
I'm bolting up all the oil/water cooling pipes on the S40 so need to find the right size rings. I could pop to Volvo and guarantee to get the right sizes, but I shouldn't need to.
Easy question for the knowledgeable, are the washer sizes taken from the internal or external sizes?

I'm told internal

T5frankie
Tuesday 21st January 2014, 20:41
Do they do a Imperial set and metric set ?.

Just looked on screwfix site.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/copper-washers-copper-470-pieces/18756

not that i noticed, these are metric,

http://washford.scene7.com/is/image/Washford/929018?$PDP_MAIN$

its the 4th ones up iirc

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 21st January 2014, 21:10
Thanks I'll have a look at those. For some reason they fit the single bolt that goes into the block, but not the turbo end.

Another question - Can I get the flat flange exhaust gasket from anywhere?

graemewelch
Wednesday 22nd January 2014, 00:09
if youve got the old ones. heat them up untill there glowing orange and let them cool down. they be useable again. dont be tempted to quench them though as it wont work.

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 22nd January 2014, 00:14
Unfortunately they are lost so I need to get new ones.

T5frankie
Wednesday 22nd January 2014, 05:14
You don't need a gasket for the flange, but I think they are listed for the v70r's not 850's

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 22nd January 2014, 07:32
Thanks I'll have a look at those. For some reason they fit the single bolt that goes into the block, but not the turbo end.

If it's anything like the 850, they are different sizes at each end of the pipe, only just found this out when I picked up my new pipe and fittings from the local steeler the other week

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 22nd January 2014, 13:52
there are 2 different sizes of washers. 947282 and 947621 ring a bell. I used to be able to just order turbo fittings full set off the top of my head !- how sad I just checked on vida and that is correct

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 22nd January 2014, 14:17
Thanks all, I'm going to risk a trip to Halfords again for the box Frankie suggested before I panic and go to Volvo.

Frankie - yes this gasket seems to only be a shim between the two surfaces, so I might chance it..

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 22nd January 2014, 20:52
Ok - Halfords is OK for the smaller washer, but no good for the larger one for the block.

I measured them this evening they are 12mm ID and 14mm ID.... I could be off to Volvo at this rate..

artfulflounder
Wednesday 22nd January 2014, 22:12
Loads of 12mm and 14mm I/d on evilbay

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=310331946496

RichT4
Wednesday 22nd January 2014, 22:43

I couldn't find anywhere else but Volvo who did the gasket

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 22nd January 2014, 23:49
Loads of 12mm and 14mm I/d on evilbay

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=310331946496

Thanks and bought...

I couldn't find anywhere else but Volvo who did the gasket

Yep, looks like it is a dealer only part.... If I can stomach another drive over to Volvo I still might have time to get one.

This must be the longest job ever just to refit a turbo!!

RichT4
Thursday 23rd January 2014, 07:41
I know mate, took me 3 attempts to get everything right. Volvo had given me the wrong part as well!

artfulflounder
Thursday 23rd January 2014, 08:12
Found summit racing in states have them....I know but manufactured by walkers exhausts.

the local uro to me is a walkers distributor so maybe if you found a walkers stockist local to you they would stock one?

960kg
Thursday 23rd January 2014, 18:17
I still do not understand why owners go to other places for such important parts which probably will cost more than the quality parts from Volvo?

A phone call with your Reg. number and the part you need pick up next day for peanuts.......that is what i did when i fitted an 18T , fitted in two days done and dusted!

T5frankie
Thursday 23rd January 2014, 18:27
I still do not understand why owners go to other places for such important parts which probably will cost more than the quality parts from Volvo?

A phone call with your Reg. number and the part you need pick up next day for peanuts.......that is what i did when i fitted an 18T , fitted in two days done and dusted!

a coper washer is a copper washer keith, not everyone has a volvo dealership in their town, my nearest volvo dealership is 20 miles away

960kg
Thursday 23rd January 2014, 18:36
Mine is 18mls away....you could be there in 1minute the way you drive Lol!!

You also get quality Copper Washers and NOT Halfrauds crap.......and i bet there cheaper than those as well.....not everything is expensive at Volvo but everything is quality.

In your Linky you must be mad to pay £16 for 470 washers when will you use the other 467??........they can`t be quality at THAT price either!......the turbo washers do a serious job very high temps, low temps not just like a washer in the washing machine hose :uglyhamme...

T5frankie
Thursday 23rd January 2014, 18:39
i usually go to partsforvolvos and they have most things i need in stock

960kg
Thursday 23rd January 2014, 18:44
I expect the parts you get through you have to go there to break even.........:eye-poppi

T5frankie
Thursday 23rd January 2014, 18:45
I expect the parts you get through you have to go there to break even.........:eye-poppi

i have bought nothing because of anything thats gone wrong with my car, all upgrades only

960kg
Thursday 23rd January 2014, 18:47
Your being naughty now as i read all of your disasters!

960kg
Thursday 23rd January 2014, 18:49
What about when your front wheel fell over.....probably cheap 2nd hand trunnion bolts which should be new only........

T5frankie
Thursday 23rd January 2014, 18:50
What about when your front wheel fell over.....probably cheap 2nd hand trunnion bolts which should be new only........

i broke that car 18 months ago mate, i'm talking about my 850r, this car has been done properly and has had thousands spent on it this year

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 23rd January 2014, 20:41
I'm not going to worry about the slight differences in a copper washer from Volvo. After all I use a lot patent equipment on my particle accelerator and that is worth about £1,200,000. It is currently holding vacuum at 1.1x10-7 with an oring obtained from BnQ.

there will be little differences in quality as Volvo will have bought them from someone else..

Anyway what's a little bit of oil between friends..:funkybana

RichT4
Friday 24th January 2014, 08:04
I'm not going to worry about the slight differences in a copper washer from Volvo. After all I use a lot patent equipment on my particle accelerator and that is worth about £1,200,000. It is currently holding vacuum at 1.1x10-7 with an oring obtained from BnQ.

there will be little differences in quality as Volvo will have bought them from someone else..

Anyway what's a little bit of oil between friends..:funkybana
Yeah but Volvo are picky, if you don't go genuine you will have the chance of silently entering a car park again... Followed by requiring a bit of human pushing to park up :)

JUDGENINJA
Friday 24th January 2014, 08:50
That's what friend are for...