PDA

View Full Version : 850 AWD power capabilities?

charlie-r
Monday 20th January 2014, 20:47
Just wondering how much power the 850 AWD transmissions can take before they explode? Would the viscous coupling slip after a certain torque level e.t.c if anybody knows or has experience trying to make a 4wd Volvo Estate go far too quickly :eclipsee_

Cheers, Charlie.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 20th January 2014, 21:03
The weak link is the angle gear and connecting sleeve, the early variants (i.e. the 850 AWD) are more prone to wear as the later variants the connecting sleeve is designed to go first (and is the least expensive part to replace).

I am looking at putting a forged engine in mine and seeing how long it lasts.

cherry1809
Monday 20th January 2014, 21:06
Shem on T5D5 is making his 854 4wd, I can't imagine he's relying on standard stuff. Might be worth a look :)

Biff
Monday 20th January 2014, 21:41
I've seen a silver v70r from Norway with 350whp & 400lbs ft running standard gear & he reckons it's done 70k on the collar with over 300bhp.
The main problem is getting the power without a fat down pipe.
You need a well serviced awd system & constant rotation of the tyres though. I've just changed mine round & I need to sort a collar & pick my prop up sometime soon.

charlie-r
Monday 20th January 2014, 21:45
Hmmm very curious, if I was to get one forging would be the way, just wondered if they were bomb-proof enough or not

charlie-r
Monday 20th January 2014, 21:46
I've seen a silver v70r from Norway with 350whp & 400lbs ft running standard gear & he reckons it's done 70k on the collar with over 300bhp.
The main problem is getting the power without a fat down pipe.
You need a well serviced awd system & constant rotation of the tyres though. I've just changed mine round & I need to sort a collar & pick my prop up sometime soon.

A fat downpipe would not be problem :)

Biff
Monday 20th January 2014, 21:48
A fat downpipe would not be problem :)

It might mate when you see how little room there is, you can't even get the sodding thing off! :(

theflyingbrick
Monday 20th January 2014, 21:50
I reckon if the awd system was a viable option and could be done without the need of fabrication (I mean done at the back of my house lol) then it would make a powerfull 850 a worth while car (I hate the fact theyre fwd :( )

theflyingbrick
Monday 20th January 2014, 21:51
It might mate when you see how little room there is, you can't even get the sodding thing off! :(

im thinking straight piece of pipe straight out the side of the wing ;)

Biff
Monday 20th January 2014, 21:53
Hmmm very curious, if I was to get one forging would be the way, just wondered if they were bomb-proof enough or not

Going off fellow owners reports those who slag them off have usually had no or little experience of them. I wouldn't say bomb proof but usable. Just don't expect the same kind of launch as say a scooby, it's a lot more progressive.
I was going to keep mine fwd & fit an m66 but Shem talked me into getting the awd fixed.
Just need to sort the rest of it first. Lol

Biff
Monday 20th January 2014, 21:55
im thinking straight piece of pipe straight out the side of the wing ;)
My crazy mechanic mate wants one out the bonnet!
Computer says no. Lol

claymore
Monday 20th January 2014, 21:57
Hussain Holand has close to 500whp out of his xc70

Biff
Monday 20th January 2014, 22:06

That's the guy! He's been busy again then? Lol

Biff
Monday 20th January 2014, 22:10
Just thinking out aloud here but my problem of intermittent "clutch" slip, when I had the box off the car the clutch looked pretty new.
Is it possible this slip (never in first or second & between 3-4000 rpm in 3rd, 4th & 5th could be my collar?

charlie-r
Monday 20th January 2014, 22:11

good effort, I'd aim for around 400BHP+ if I went 4WD

theflyingbrick
Monday 20th January 2014, 22:28
My crazy mechanic mate wants one out the bonnet!
Computer says no. Lol

you say crazy......I say high five lol imagine the fun you cold have with some tennis balls stuffed down the pipe ;)

Biff
Monday 20th January 2014, 22:36
you say crazy......I say high five lol imagine the fun you cold have with some tennis balls stuffed down the pipe ;)

You'd get on well, he's the influence behind my orange bits...
Here's his engine;)
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/biff_3/null_zps3d85bf69.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/user/biff_3/media/null_zps3d85bf69.jpg.html)

charlie-r
Wednesday 22nd January 2014, 19:10
Tempted to just buy a 4WD and see how much power it'll take

Biff
Wednesday 22nd January 2014, 19:45
AWD mate, it's a fair bit of difference.

theflyingbrick
Wednesday 22nd January 2014, 21:59
You'd get on well, he's the influence behind my orange bits...
Here's his engine;)
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/biff_3/null_zps3d85bf69.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/user/biff_3/media/null_zps3d85bf69.jpg.html)

ahh see hes my kind of guy lol ;) wait till ive finished my engine bay im sure itll be on par with his.....well itll certainly be a little different lol

shemtek_racing
Sunday 26th January 2014, 23:24
The old angle gears are pretty weak. An s60r angle gear and later collar are a direct replacement :)

Most Subaru's have a viscous centre diff the same as the Volvo awd system.

theflyingbrick
Monday 27th January 2014, 22:11
why have more people not done this? from what I can see it would make sense....or is it a hard conversion to do? I mean is there a lot of fabrication involved or can you buy the parts and "bolt" it together??

merc85
Monday 27th January 2014, 22:30
why have more people not done this? from what I can see it would make sense....or is it a hard conversion to do? I mean is there a lot of fabrication involved or can you buy the parts and "bolt" it together??

You would need a 850 awd 1st to start with and i think there getting a little rare now,